Post of review TAH - advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post of review TAH - advice Post of review TAH - advice

Unread 06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Post of review TAH - advice

Hi Ladies,

My shortened version of my OP)
I am in Australia, and I had my TAH 8 weeks ago today. I had a massive fibroid, endo and a damaged bladder due to the fibroid being attached to it. I spent 10 days in hospital and had quite a few complications including a hematoma on the surface of my abdominal incision. I had this surgery under the public health system.

Today, I was scheduled for my post OP review. It was supposed to be 6 weeks, but the hospital couldn't fit me in until today. I was booked in with an intern (who could only read my file). I asked questions about my fibroid and endo, and advice and she again "could only read off my file". She asked how I felt and then asked to look at the incision where the hematoma was.

She did not do a pelvic exam and she did not do any tests etc. She said that I could be discharged from the gyno team and that no further appointments were necessary.

I have come away from my appointment wondering how, after such major surgery, and with complications that the surgeon did not want to check things out, and instead I see an intern, who also does not do any exams?. I also have ovarian cancer, endo and hysterectomy history in my family.

I thought a pelvic exam was standard after a hysterectomy? Did anyone else not have one?

Thanks
;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Re: Post of review TAH - advice

Hi Bella Lou. I also am in Australia, but had my surgery in the private system. I had my six week check up with my surgeon, but he did not do a pelvic exam either - to be quite honest, he wasn't even interested in answering any questions or even interested in asking me how I was feeling. I think surgeons think once they have sewn you up that is the end of their responsibility.
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:33 AM

Sounds very similar then, the intern I saw wasn't interested in my questions either. She wanted me in and out! First time ever I have gone into an appointment on time and now I know why!! They obviously keep their appts short and sweet and don't ask any questions or allow their patients to ask questions!!! We are taking major surgery not a tooth being pulled! You would think the follow up would be better :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:10 AM

Interesting - I am in UK and used private healthcare. I had TAH and left hospital with no follow-up. Was told I'd get an appointment around 8 weeks post op. Like you, I think it's a big op. To have with so little follow up after. I had 'shivers' when I came home and don't know to this day what the cause was, also got infection in my foot whilst in hospital which needed antibiotics from gp within a few days of release (think it should have been dealt with in hospital). Also had to remove my own dressing at home and when my gyn. Phoned after one week at home (guess this was instead of visit) told me that 'if the wound is still open at the ends, just use a 'sticky plaster' to pull the skin together for a couple more days!! Naturally I just left the original dressing on a lot longer than he suggested to ensure all was healed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register