Another road to cross | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another road to cross Another road to cross

Unread 10-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Another road to cross

Hello there. I am 55 and I will be having ovaries, Cervix and uterus removed abdominally. Several people I know tell me they had a hysterectomy, years ago and so I will be fine. No big deal. Really? But none of them have had all 3 things removed at the same time, but I shouldn't worry.. Well none of them are supporting or uplifting at all, so I am very uncomfortable, Surgery is in December and I am trying to put things in order. Very small support system and I am trying to understand just what is going to happen and what I need to do.
Thanks for being here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Re: Another road to cross

JBK0624. I am having everything removed as well, only it will be vaginally. I am so sorry you haven't got a strong support system at home. You will find that you have one here. These are some fabulously strong and helpful women. I am sure some vets and a hostess or 2 will pop in here and give you tons of helpful information and advice. Even us newbies will cheer you on. You've got this!
Unread 10-18-2015, 01:19 AM

JBK!
First off, you are definitely not alone when you come on to Hystersisters. There's so much good information on this site and so many helpful ladies that I couldn't get enough of it prior to my surgery and still keep coming back to chat with my recovery group that went through surgery the same week as I did.

I am sorry that you are not getting the support from the women in your area that had hyst's years ago. Perhaps they have forgotten the nervousness, uncertainty, and recovery of having a hysterectomy. All of what you're feeling is normal though. I was told in Feb. I would need an abd. hyst to remove a 2 pound fibroid and ended up waiting until June to get a second opinion and only then scheduled the surgery for Sept bsc of planned events I couldn't or didn't want to get out of. I was so nervous two weeks out and even cried in the pre-op area the morning of surgery.

There are wonderful articles on here about how to prepare your recovery nest at home, making and freezing meals ahead of time, stocking your nest with snacks and juice pouches, what to bring to the hospital, etc. there are also articles on surgical menopause and hormone replacement therapy if those will apply to your situation.

As far as recovery goes, I can't remember now if you are having lap or abd.surgery, but recovery takes time and everyone is different. You will want and need to schedule a couple of weeks at home. Do you have some good friends or neighbors or family that can bring you meals a few times a week?

Please know that you have loads of sisters here crossing that road with you. You might want to edit this thread title to speak to your need for support. Others WILL post and I'll keep checking in.

Hugs

Might I recommend that you edit your thread title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK0624 View Post
Hello there. I am 55 and I will be having ovaries, Cervix and uterus removed abdominally. Several people I know tell me they had a hysterectomy, years ago and so I will be fine. No big deal. Really? But none of them have had all 3 things removed at the same time, but I shouldn't worry.. Well none of them are supporting or uplifting at all, so I am very uncomfortable, Surgery is in December and I am trying to put things in order. Very small support system and I am trying to understand just what is going to happen and what I need to do.
Thanks for being here.
I had an abdominal hysterectomy at 58 with cervix, ovaries, tubes and uterus removed, and while it was a big deal as far as being stressful and a major surgery, it was not nearly as bad as I expected, everything went smoothly, I was fine, in fact I felt better when I woke up from surgery than I had in years. I am sure that they are telling you it will be fine both because it was fine in their experience and also in an effort to help you worry less. Everyone is different and needs different types of support and I would guess that your friends just don't know what would be comforting for you, so your best bet is to just tell them! How would you rather have them act, what would you want them to say? I'm sure that they think they are being supportive, and want to be supportive, you can help them be more effective at it by explaining what you're feeling.
Unread 10-18-2015, 07:23 AM

I was 55 when I had my hysterectomy too. :-) Uterus, cervix, ovaries, tubes - it was like a going-out-of-business sale. Everything must go!

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with a vertical incision. The recovery period was long, but I had an easy time of it, with minimal pain and no complications. The nurses had me up and walking right the first morning after surgery. By the time I was released from the hospital three days after surgery, I had no problems taking care of myself and my cats at home. I went for lots of short walks outdoors and otherwise spent my time reading, sewing and working on my computer. It was like being on a relaxing vacation, except with more abdominal swelling.

There's tons of articles at https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/articlelist_170.htm with advice on how to prepare both your living space and yourself for a hysterectomy. You should also feel free to ask questions here! Whatever your situation is, we probably have someone who's been there and done that. :-)
Unread 10-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Hi JBK0624 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Your feeling, emotions and concerns are all very normal. This is MAJOR SURGERY and it is good to prepare. You will probably need some help around the house with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. If you live alone, can a neighbor or friend come in to check on you?

I also had uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries out with open abdominal surgery. Recovery for me was not easy nor was it a breeze. But, I was not bed ridden and could do minor items around the house - make simple breakfasts and lunches, do minor items, etc. I was home alone for the day, and DH came home at night and made dinner, did dishes, and took care of necessities. I did lots of brief walks, rested, and followed my doctors orders (e.g., no lifting of 10 lbs for 6 weeks, or 20 lbs for 8 weeks).

I did not do any major house cleaning - the house went uncleaned for 8 weeks. I went back to work to a moderate stress desk job after 3 weeks, but could only do part time work for another 4 weeks. After that, I moved slowly back into my life. The biggest problem was that I was very tired and it took time to get my stamina back.

Here are two articles that may help with preparation:
10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy
Living Alone and Recovering from Hysterectomy

I found the most helpful were:
Meals in the freezer that can be just popped in the microwave
Get easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
Purchase loose fitting clothes
Prepare a recovery corner

You are not alone - we are here for you.

Unread 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Crossing the road with friends

Thank you. The kindness and support here is helping a great deal. ..So glad all of you are here
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaree View Post
JBK0624. I am having everything removed as well, only it will be vaginally. I am so sorry you haven't got a strong support system at home. You will find that you have one here. These are some fabulously strong and helpful women. I am sure some vets and a hostess or 2 will pop in here and give you tons of helpful information and advice. Even us newbies will cheer you on. You've got this!
Unread 10-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Another road to cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchime10 View Post
JBK!
First off, you are definitely not alone when you come on to Hystersisters. There's so much good information on this site and so many helpful ladies that I couldn't get enough of it prior to my surgery and still keep coming back to chat with my recovery group that went through surgery the same week as I did.

I am sorry that you are not getting the support from the women in your area that had hyst's years ago. Perhaps they have forgotten the nervousness, uncertainty, and recovery of having a hysterectomy. All of what you're feeling is normal though. I was told in Feb. I would need an abd. hyst to remove a 2 pound fibroid and ended up waiting until June to get a second opinion and only then scheduled the surgery for Sept bsc of planned events I couldn't or didn't want to get out of. I was so nervous two weeks out and even cried in the pre-op area the morning of surgery.

There are wonderful articles on here about how to prepare your recovery nest at home, making and freezing meals ahead of time, stocking your nest with snacks and juice pouches, what to bring to the hospital, etc. there are also articles on surgical menopause and hormone replacement therapy if those will apply to your situation.

As far as recovery goes, I can't remember now if you are having lap or abd.surgery, but recovery takes time and everyone is different. You will want and need to schedule a couple of weeks at home. Do you have some good friends or neighbors or family that can bring you meals a few times a week?

Please know that you have loads of sisters here crossing that road with you. You might want to edit this thread title to speak to your need for support. Others WILL post and I'll keep checking in.

Hugs

Might I recommend that you edit your thread title
Thank you so much. I may just do that once I figure out how. I am so glad I was told to join. Everyone has been great. ..my family of sisters.
Unread 10-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Another road to cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
I was 55 when I had my hysterectomy too. :-) Uterus, cervix, ovaries, tubes - it was like a going-out-of-business sale. Everything must go!

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with a vertical incision. The recovery period was long, but I had an easy time of it, with minimal pain and no complications. The nurses had me up and walking right the first morning after surgery. By the time I was released from the hospital three days after surgery, I had no problems taking care of myself and my cats at home. I went for lots of short walks outdoors and otherwise spent my time reading, sewing and working on my computer. It was like being on a relaxing vacation, except with more abdominal swelling.

There's tons of articles at https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/articlelist_170.htm with advice on how to prepare both your living space and yourself for a hysterectomy. You should also feel free to ask questions here! Whatever your situation is, we probably have someone who's been there and done that. :-)
I like that'..Everything Must Go! !!

Thank you Well I guess it isn't as bad as I think. Thanks for your time and smiles.
Unread 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Another road to cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK0624 View Post
Thank you. The kindness and support here is helping a great deal. ..So glad all of you are here
Thank you. I feel okay. I guess it is like anything else I just have to sick it up and get over it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register