Lupron Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron Advice Lupron Advice

Unread 05-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Lupron Advice

I have been diagnosed with a large (15 cm. diameter) fibroid. My gyne wants to put me on a 2-month course of Lupron to be followed by a hysterectomy (due to kidney/bladder/ureter involvement). She hopes the Lupron will shrink the fibroid a bit thereby making the surgery somewhat less complicated. Does anyone have any experience with Lupron? I'm concerned about its side effects and would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Lupron

Hi,
I was put on Lupron about six years to shrink my fibroids before a myomectomy. They also use this med for prostate cancer.

The shots put me instantly into a medical menapause. Complete with hot flashes and facial hair.

I took some herbal remedies to help - and they really did cut down on the side effects.

I also had some short-term memory loss. Not severe, but enough to bug me about growing older.

Quick funny - my mom is a retired nurse and gave me one of the shots. My nephew (about 5 at the time) saw me rubbing my hip and asked me what was wrong. I told him that grandma had just given me a shot. You should have seen the look on his face when he said "Grandma's can give shots!" I'll never forget it.

Good luck,
Kathi
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Lupron Advice

Hi,

I have been on a similar drug to Lupon (Zoladex) for the past three months. It has shrunk my massive fibroid enough to have a bikini cut instead of a vertical. I didn't take any HRT as I decided one drug in my system was enough. Have had night sweats and hot flashes, but nothing that I couldn't live with.

It certainly did shrink the fibroid for me - now that it is so much smaller I just wish it would stay that way and I didn't have to have the operation!

It is well worth trying.

Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Lupron Advice

I was given Zoladex to help shrink my watermelon size uterus(multiple fibroids) I have had some hot flashes and night sweats,It has been an adjustment but I can tell that the drug is working. I had alot of frequency(peeing all the time) before the shot but not anymore. My pants are even looser.
Unread 05-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Lupron Advice

I have been on Lupron for three months. First month, did not notice much. Just before second shot, major mood swing that lasted about two days. I also began having hot flashes and night sweats....nothing to severe. About ten days or so after second shot, another mood swing for about two days, same hot flashes and night sweats, no period, more energy, felt relatively good. Had my third shot about a week or so ago, major mood swing this week, really depressed which is not me at all. Feeling better now. I was given HRTs to help with the side effects, but as someone has already said, I did not want more than one powerful drug in my system at a time. I have had some memory loss, but all in all, it hasn't been extremely bad. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow to find out how much my fibroid has shrunk.
Good luck to you. I hope this didn't scare you. This is just my own experience with it and I tell you, I would do it all again if I had to. My symptoms have been manageable and my family and work have been extremely supportive.

Keep us posted.
crickett283

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register