What do you say when you return to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you say when you return to work? What do you say when you return to work?

Unread 06-18-2006, 06:46 PM
What do you say when you return to work?

I'm afraid to say, Great!

As I still have:
A large swollen Swelly Belly,
An incision that still is tender,
A numb tummy,
Fatigued at times,
and not 100%.

If I say GREAT, then they will think I'm 100%. If I say, Great, BUT..... they will think, "she's been out of work 6 weeks and is still not well, what's wrong with her?"

Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2006, 07:08 PM

Oh my goodness, you put into words exactly what I was thinking earlier today. I go back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks and I still have swollen, sore tummy. I definitely am not 100% and I have a very active job. I am an assistant daycare director and our Summer daycamp program starts tomorrow. We bowl, skate, and swim every week, not to mention Disneyland, baseball games, basketball games, iceskating etc. I hope everyone doesn't think, "oh good, she's back and since she had so much time off she must be great". I guess I will feel better once I get the first day out of the way. I also don't know what to tell people. Maybe some others who have already gone back to work can give us some advice and share their stories!
Unread 06-18-2006, 07:39 PM

I have opted for the truth. I feel much better but still get tired, still have memory issues, and the occasional mood issues not to mention the occassional hot flash. Now the really great thing about my job is that I work with all men so they dont want a lot of details. My new manager is great (he is younger and his wife had 2 c-sections in just over a year) so he has been awesome. I am also lucky to have somewhat of a laid back environment. But that first week was a killer. As I become more active, I am needing my naps again! Go figure. I gave them up at 3 weeks trying to get my sleep straightened out! I have a close relationship with my coworkers so that has helped. Good luck to you and remember that you will probably will be tired after you go back to work. Hugs, Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2006, 07:57 PM

WOW!! I was thinking the same thing.... I go back to work tomorrow after 3 months..and I have to say I still have the swelly belly at times and tender incision and I still get tired....so when my co-workers ask I am going to say some days I feel great and there are some days ...still sore..... but just remember every one heals differentely ...some may be further a long and some it takes longer....well you all take care....
Unread 06-19-2006, 05:13 AM

I was lucky, I work with an older man whose wife had a hysterectomy years ago. When he told her that I was having one, she told him that it took her a year to feel like her old self again. To he totally uderstood when I went back and was not my usual self. Then there is a younger man (late 20's). He really was udnerstanding also. My first couple weeks back I did what I could and then would tell them I needed to sit for a bit. They were great.

Good luck and just be honest...
Danette
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:28 AM

Just be honest so that they can understand that you may not be up to full speed yet. My co-workers have been very understanding and everyone tries to pitch in so I don't have to lift and pull as much. After the 6 months of mood swings and complaining I did pre-op and being extremely short staffed for the last 3 months ( had 4 nurses out on maternity leave at the same time) they are so glad to see me back, that they don't want me doing anything that would require more time off. Best of luck on your return to work, it's hard at first but you'll be back into the swing of things before you know it.
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:38 AM

What a great thread! I go back to work next Monday. My doc was not supportive of additional time, despite my symptoms. Symptoms are much the same as everyone, but I'm still getting pains randomly through my abdomen, esp where my uterus used to be. Doc said this is normal.

I've been telling people that each day gets better, but the doctor told it me that it will be about 6 months until everything is fully healed and back to normal.
Unread 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM

I agree with you. Just be honest. When I went back last week I just told them that i feel lpretty good but still tire easily and still have some restrictions. I only have to go back through this week and then am off again until mid August (summer break from teaching) and I only went in for these two weeks because my medical leave was up and my teaching contract wasnot. I also don't have to deal with my class right now since they have been done since june 1.
charlene
Unread 06-19-2006, 10:44 AM

I am a hystersister from the UK where we have to take 6 weeks off at least. However, I soon realised how optimistic this was and despite trying to return at 10 weeks was advised by my doctor to have at least 14! I was worried about what the boss (in my case the 'Head' in a school) would think, but in such a demanding job (teaching Music) he communicated through a colleague that he would only want me back in 100% fit. I am now only returning for a few days before the end of term (week 16) to touch base with everyone. I sometimes feel guilty, but only need to overdo it and feel the subsequent tiredness to know that I am not ready yet. Be honest about how you feel. Do not be afraid to take time out and get assistance. My doctor keeps telling me 'You only have this one chance to recover properly'. Take this advice!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register