TAH feeling a bit violated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling a bit violated feeling a bit violated

Unread 03-13-2011, 03:01 AM
feeling a bit violated

I returned to work a week ago after having a TAH (7 weeks ago). My boss told me that a couple weeks ago she went to see the same gynecologist I saw for my surgery, and that she asked my doctor about my surgery. My boss incredibly told me that she pretended that I had given her information on how my surgery went so this doctor would feel comfortable opening up to her. She said that the doctor refused to divulge any information. Yay! What upsets me is that my boss does not see that what she did is wrong. I would be ashamed to tell someone that I had even attempted to do this. As someone in a managerial position in a healthcare company, she should know better, especially since it is imperative that we abide by HIPAA laws. Therefore, I find this admission very incredible. In response to what she told me, I said there was no reason for her to do that; if she would like to know something about me she could ask me directly. Going to my physician is not an option and I am glad that my physician obviously honored my privacy and confidentiality. I know my boss is a busy body but I did not expect this. How would you handle this situation? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Re: feeling a bit violated

Bang out of order. Can you possibly go higher and report her as you can find out from your dr what she asked as proof. It's totally wrong I would have no trust in that woman
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:24 AM

Totally wrong no doubt about it. But maybe in this instance(just playing devil's advocate here) she is not your boss but a frightened woman desperate for information. Maybe she sees that you did well and hopes whatever the gyno did for you she could do for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2011, 05:23 AM

I would report her! What gives her the right?
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Way out of line! She needs reporting, as business owners we would never consider or even thought of speaking to our staffs physicians. WOW!!! I'm gobsmacked she thinks this is ok.
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM

This is a violation of the law. Don't just report her to your HR dept or company president, you need to talk to state & federal agencies. This is down right wrong!
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrana View Post
I returned to work a week ago after having a TAH (7 weeks ago). My boss told me that a couple weeks ago she went to see the same gynecologist I saw for my surgery, and that she asked my doctor about my surgery. My boss incredibly told me that she pretended that I had given her information on how my surgery went so this doctor would feel comfortable opening up to her. She said that the doctor refused to divulge any information. Yay! What upsets me is that my boss does not see that what she did is wrong. I would be ashamed to tell someone that I had even attempted to do this. As someone in a managerial position in a healthcare company, she should know better, especially since it is imperative that we abide by HIPAA laws. Therefore, I find this admission very incredible. In response to what she told me, I said there was no reason for her to do that; if she would like to know something about me she could ask me directly. Going to my physician is not an option and I am glad that my physician obviously honored my privacy and confidentiality. I know my boss is a busy body but I did not expect this. How would you handle this situation? Thank you.
This is incredible. Your boss seems like a fool. I'd do two things. I'd formally write the doctor and tell him/her what your boss tried to do, thanking them for protecting your privacy.

Then, I'd write a formal complaint to HR.

Your boss being a busybody does not justify, in any way, shape or form, her trying to violate your medical privacy.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchm View Post
Totally wrong no doubt about it. But maybe in this instance(just playing devil's advocate here) she is not your boss but a frightened woman desperate for information. Maybe she sees that you did well and hopes whatever the gyno did for you she could do for her.
I have to call BS on your devil's advocate position. If this woman is trying to collect information for herself, she can ask questions about herself and not a subordinate. She has no busy to ask a doctor about what procedure some other woman had. Further, she can come here or do her own research.

There is no justification for this type of behavior. None.
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:29 AM

Whoa! that's quite some nerve there. Thank goodness the doctor held to the doctor's oath.
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Wow, I can not believe she even told you she did that. Well done for your doctor in keeping your confidences.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register