Scheduled TVH Surgical or maternity floor for post-op? Kids/babies mentioned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical or maternity floor for post-op? Kids/babies mentioned Surgical or maternity floor for post-op? Kids/babies mentioned

Unread 10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Surgical or maternity floor for post-op? Kids/babies mentioned

Do you know where they are putting you at the castle? If not, given the choice, which do you think you'd prefer? My surgery is on Friday and I will be staying overnight at the castle after having my surgery performed at the same day surgery office attached to the hospital. I don't know if they're going to put me with other post op patients on the surgical floor, or on the maternity floor with other OB/GYN patients. I am only 28 and had wanted to have another baby this year (I have a 9 ur old) but instead am having a hyst due to some personal circumstances.

If given the option I think I want to go to surgical floor because being on a floor with new babies and pregnant women could potential be an emotional disaster for me. I have bipolar disorder and am hoping to get through this without any major Bp problems but I think listening to crying newborns would put me right over the edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Re: Surgical or maternity floor for post-op? Kids/babies mentioned

I was put on the surgical floor but there have been ladies on HysterSisters that have reported that they were placed on the maternity floor. I would suggest that you have a talk with your doctor asap about your feelings so that they can make the appropriate arrangements for you. Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM

I was on the same floor as maternity but I never noticed. I never left my room except when leaving and from what I understand it was the other end of the hall. It would definitely be worth checking with your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Thanks , yes I plan to. I have my preop tomorrow and fully intend to request placement on the surgical floor. The only thing I am conflicted on is that surgical is semiprivate so I'll probably have a roommate, where I am not sure if maternity is private rooms. I have only ever been to this hospital once to visit a friend after surgery which is how I know surgical is semi private. The hospital I delivered my daughter at the only private rooms were on the maternity floor, but that was a different hospital in a different state.
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM

They might have private rooms on the surgical floor. You need to ask. There were private rooms on my surgical floor and I had requested one but the hospital was in "gridlock" which means the place is so full, they have patients in alcoves in the hall. I was lucky to be in a room and not the hallway surrounded by a portable curtain.
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM

I was on ob did not notice the babies but i did not get very good care they completely ignored me, i could hear them coming and going in other rooms but did not check on me. The one good thing was no one was in the room with me so i could watch tv when i wanted.
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Becky, if you are fairly independent, the nurses tend to leave you to do your own thing. At least that is the way it was for me and I was on the surgical floor. They focused on the needier patients.
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Wow Danni that's crazy! Unfortunately my insurance won't pay for private room if semi private is available. Maybe I'll get lucky. My mom had an LSO last year and was put in a semi private but didn't ever get a roommate.
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:25 PM

I wasn't aware until after my surgery that my hospital places all "female" related surgeries on the same floor (hysterectomy, mastectomy, etc.). New moms and babies were kept at the other end of the hall, the only other patients I ever saw were other hysterectomy patients.

I don't recall noticing it the first day, but over night and early in the am on the second day (at the times I was awake anyway), I would occasionally hear a lullaby sounding song. I didn't think much of it, but later in the day after hearing it a couple more times, I asked my nurse what it was. She said it played every time that a baby was born. My first thought, was "How neat!" Then my thoughts were immediately of women (thankfully myself not included) who are upset about losing their uterus, and how devastating that must be for them to have to hear that. Yikes!

If it's a concern for you, definitely ask!
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM

JLovesD - It was fine. I could do what I needed to do for myself without them. Although, they did check on me fairly regularly the morning day post-op when I was nauseous and they took care of that as quickly as they could. The rest of the time, I really didn't need them. I spent the second day post-op walking all three floors of the hospital with my daughter. When I wasn't walking, I was curled up in bed with a good book. I didn't even need help with showering so it was all good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register