Scheduled TVH Hysterectomy coming up December 9th no family support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy coming up December 9th no family support Hysterectomy coming up December 9th no family support

Unread 11-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Hysterectomy coming up December 9th no family support

I am scheduled on December 9th with TVH I am getting nervous and wonder what the recovery is like? I am a teachers aide and wonder how long I will really need realistically? I am 36 and have 3 kids ages 6,5 and 2 I have my husband for support but no other really outside support. I am worried about him having to take care of them and me not being 100% for them. Also I believe they are keeping my ovaries so will go through any hormone issues and what is intimacy like? What is the difference if you keep cervix or not? Thanks ladies for your help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Re: Surgery coming up December 9th no family support

So glad you are here!
It can be daunting, facing this surgery alone. But it sounds like you are not alone! You have the support of your husband. I had my parents to help me the first few days I got home from the hospital but after that, my parents went home and my husband was working full time so I was pretty much on my own during the day. After a week I was able to do more than a I thought. I could prepare light lunches for myself, but left the heavy lifting of making dinner and cleaning up to my DH. I did nap quite a bit during the day but after a week, I was taking only Advil and Tylenol so I was lucid. Will your children be home with you during recovery? Your 5 and 6 year old may like being "mommy's little helper" so if there are little things they can do, like get you water or a blanket, it may help them to feel included in what's going on. Many Sisters on this site go through recovery alone and do just fine. Are there neighbors, co-workers or even folks from a church that can look in on you? Many folks are all too happy to help, you just have to ask.

If you can keep your health ovaries, that is a good thing. It isn't uncommon for ovaries to "sleep" in the first few weeks of recovery - the trauma of surgery makes them produce less estrogen (they don't like being disturbed during surgery) so you may experience some menopause symptoms like hot flashes or insomnia. My ovaries slept for 6 full weeks but once they started working again, all was A-OK. I also had my cervix removed and once I was cleared for sex, my DH started very slowly and gently but I had no negative side effects. In fact, sex after my surgery has been better than it had been in the years previous. Time and patience is what it takes during recovery. I expect you will be out of work for 4-6 weeks which is normal. You will have lifting restrictions (no more than 10 lbs) for about 6 weeks, maybe no driving for the first 10 days, and a variety of other "do not do's but the time does go by quickly and you will need to rest as much as you can.

Having little ones at home can be a challenge but engage whomever you can to help you in those first few weeks and I am confident you will do very well.

Good luck! We will be here to support you through your recovery journey!

Unread 11-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanks so much for your sweet helpful advice. My kids will be home while I recover the good thing is they will be at school that last week before Christmas break so hopefully I can rest more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Re: Hysterectomy coming up December 9th no family support

Just remember every recovery is different... I had a TAH and they took everything... I missed only 13 work days and never needed pain meds. Don't be scared worrying about what might happen.., save you're strength to deal with what actually does happen. I was the best case on surgery.., unfortunately I also had a cancer diagnosis and am currently dealing with that.

Be strong, but know your limitations... don't take chances. Don't lift, drive or do anything till you are cleared to do so. Even lifting your child is a big no no. It's only for a few days, but once you are on the mend, time will move much more quickly
Unread 11-29-2016, 02:20 PM

Hello

Thanks for posting. I too am having surgery on 9th and also a teacher's aide. I too have young children and only husband support when home.
Following. All the best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy80 View Post
I am scheduled on December 9th with TVH I am getting nervous and wonder what the recovery is like? I am a teachers aide and wonder how long I will really need realistically? I am 36 and have 3 kids ages 6,5 and 2 I have my husband for support but no other really outside support. I am worried about him having to take care of them and me not being 100% for them. Also I believe they are keeping my ovaries so will go through any hormone issues and what is intimacy like? What is the difference if you keep cervix or not? Thanks ladies for your help and advice.
Unread 11-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Re: Hysterectomy coming up December 9th no family support

I'm a primary grade teacher. I had a tvh on Sept. 30th. I returned to work on Nov. 1st. I was tired the first day or two back. I don't think it was from the surgery. I think it was from having to get up earlier than I had been getting up.

I feel absolutely fine two months out. It is hard to believe I even had surgery two months ago.

The whole time I was off I took care of myself. I napped, watched tv, and did very little around the house the first week or two.
Unread 11-29-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINCHY View Post
Just remember every recovery is different... I had a TAH and they took everything... I missed only 13 work days and never needed pain meds. Don't be scared worrying about what might happen.., save you're strength to deal with what actually does happen. I was the best case on surgery.., unfortunately I also had a cancer diagnosis and am currently dealing with that.

Be strong, but know your limitations... don't take chances. Don't lift, drive or do anything till you are cleared to do so. Even lifting your child is a big no no. It's only for a few days, but once you are on the mend, time will move much more quickly
Thanks I appreciate it. I am sorry about the cancer diagnosis I will be praying for you!
Unread 11-29-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwillallbewell View Post
I'm a primary grade teacher. I had a tvh on Sept. 30th. I returned to work on Nov. 1st. I was tired the first day or two back. I don't think it was from the surgery. I think it was from having to get up earlier than I had been getting up.

I feel absolutely fine two months out. It is hard to believe I even had surgery two months ago.

The whole time I was off I took care of myself. I napped, watched tv, and did very little around the house the first week or two.
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it. Did you have any weight issues after?
Unread 11-30-2016, 04:18 AM

No, I've lost and kept off 10 pounds so far.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register