LAVH Sept. 9 for adenomyosis...what to expect | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH Sept. 9 for adenomyosis...what to expect LAVH Sept. 9 for adenomyosis...what to expect

Unread 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
LAVH Sept. 9 for adenomyosis...what to expect

My LAVH is scheduled for September 9, and not a day too soon. Although I haven't had the horrible bleeding issues, I have experienced severe pain in my back and legs that no over the counter pain medication will touch. And I can't function on prescription meds. So I suffer. I had a diagnostic laporascopy 7/23, and my doctor told me I have both adenomyosis and pelvic congestion syndrome.

I have a sales type job with driving and many appointments in a day, and I don't know how long I need to be prepared to be off work. I only have three weeks of paid leave and I'm afraid that may be pushing it. My doctor says everyone is different and I will just have to listen to my body.

I'd love to hear success stories from adenomyosis sufferers and to know what I should prepare for after the surgery. My husband will be home with me for six days, then only there at night. Will I need to schedule family to come in after he goes back to help out?

I'm nervous...panicking about the unknown. Waiting is so hard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 05:33 AM

I am having mine done for the same thing and my left ovary taken because it is adhered to my bowel. I have the same concerns that you do except my hubby is only taking one day off with me. What do I do after that?
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Just wanted to say Hello... Our surgeries are scheduled a day apart. I'm having my LAVH on Sept. the 8th.. Recovery is a main concern of mine as well.. Hopefully we can find out the answer to our questions soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM

I am also having surgery for adenomyosis. It has taken way too long to be diagnosed and I am working on 3 years of the pain you discribed. I am ready to be over with it, but yet I also have alot of questions.
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Hello, I Had My Lavh A Week Ago Today. Physically I Feel Pretty Good. Not Ready To Run A Maraothon Or Even A Vacum But Not Too Bad. I Woke Up With 4 Small Incisions. One In My Belly Button One About 6 Inches To The Left And One 6 Inches To The Right. A Very Small One Right Above My Pelvice Bone. And Of Course A Catheter. The Belly Button Cut Is Annoying But None Of Them Hurt. The Pain Meds That They Give You In The Hospital Were Great. Comming Home I Tried Very Hard To Not Take Because I Hate Being Constepated And The Norco Does That (norco Pain Med) Never Fear I Ended Up Doing A Fleet Enema. Not Fun But It Worked And I Was Able To Feel Better Before I Went To Bed. My Doctor Also Recommended Senekot For Constepation And That Has Helped As Well. I Tried Miralax And Milk Of Magnesia Before I Did The Fleets. Thats Really Not How You Want To Clean Your Self Out So Call Your Doc If You Fell Like Constipation Is An Issue. I Went 5 Days And Couldnt Take It Any Longer. Plus I Was Kind Of Freaked Out Abouot That Before My Sergury. Any Way Moving On. I Went Home The Next Day At About 5:00pm They Took Out The Cathiter And You Have To Pee Before They Will Let You Leave. I Was Tender But Not Bad. I Went Home And Yes... Have Someone There With You. I Would Say Definatly For A Week Atleast. I Would Aslo Say Watch Your Foods As Well. Last Night I Had Salmon And Olio Psta With Garlic And My Stomach Has Not Been Liking It At All. Gas Pain Hurts Me Right Now. For Me Getting Some Fresh Air Daily Has Been Nice. I Definatly Feel A Bit Of Depression But I Am Trying Really Hard To Be Aware Of It And Not Let It Take Over. As Far As Working I Maybe Could Go Back On Monday If I Stayed Low Key But I Am Taking Another Week Just To Be Sure. I Am Sure Of One Thing I Will Be Bored. I Hope This Helps If You Have Any Direct Questions You Can Always Ask And I Will Give Mt Personal Experience Since Thats All That I Truely Know. Good Luck Ladies You Will Be Great!~
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:56 PM

I had a LAVH on July 22. I came home the next day around 11:00 am. My husband went back to work the next day and I was ok getting up and down to the bathroom. I only took Mortin 800mg for pain so I wasn't really on pain meds that had narcotic effect. You might need someone with you if you take these I don't know. I only had 3 incisions on my belly but because of some repair work some some incisions on my bottom area. I am retired so I don't have to go back to work but if I had to I might have been about to go back at 4 weeks ????? I didn't drive until 2 weeks and then only short distances...... I tire easily still but I try to be active everyday. I worked out 3-4 days a week and walked everyday before surgery so I thought I was in pretty good shape LOL. The waiting was the worse part of all for me..... much worse than anything since!!!!!! Everyone is different but I feel you will do just fine! Good Luck!
Unread 08-21-2008, 01:01 PM

I Agree The Waiting Is The Worst And Dont Try To Over Compensate By Trying To Get Everything Done Before Your Sergury Becasue I Promise It Will Still Be There When You Get Back. I Should Have Mentioned In My Last Post That I Have 3 Kids So Having My Dh Home With Me Was Necessary.
Unread 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM

I was kind of wondering the same thing.Mine is cause of endo and cysts and painful periods and pelvic pain.I am scheduled on 20 Oct.I have a ways to go but my little one needs ear tubes so that can only be done on the 13 oct.He is more important as he has a heart conditin too.I can wait.Not really but mommys never come first always children.I havel 2 little ones at home and was wondering how long the recovery is.I was told that mine could be a possible abdominal if the LAVH wont work.THanks
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:11 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and my husband went back to work the day after I came home. Since you're supposed to walk anyway, I had no problem making it to the kitchen or the bathroom alone. I only took the prescription pain meds for about 2 days after coming home. I never really had much pain. I guess I was lucky. I also had adenomyosis but wasn't diagnosed until after surgery. I had been in severe pain and very, very heavy bleeding. Before surgery, the Dr. assumed the problems were caused by fibroids only. My uterus was 4x larger than a normal uterus! Dr. said the others in the op room were kind of amazed at how big it was.

Wishing you a quick and painless recovery.
Unread 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM

I had a TAH and had adeno. also, fibroids, nodules. I only took 5 of my pain pills after being released from the hospitals. I hardly had any pain. And what pains I had ibuprofen took care of if I even needed that. My DBF went back to work the next day after I was home and I was fine, no problems getting out of bed, going to the bathroom, or making me and my kids a small meal through the day. I feel pretty great, still have some fatigue issues but just had a blood work done to see if I still need iron pills. My recovery time for TAH was 6 weeks but got 2 more weeks added to it because vaginal cuff stitches were still healing, so now I am trying to gear myself up to return back to work on mon. What ever procedure you have, the hardest part is the waiting afterwards the time will fly. I don't feel like I have been home for 8 weeks and can't believe it is time to go back to work. But it is time for my real and improved world to straight. Here is wishing all you ladies a speedy and pain-free surgery and recovery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register