BM concerns ~ any remedies? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BM concerns ~ any remedies? BM concerns ~ any remedies?

Unread 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM
BM concerns ~ any remedies?

I can poop on my own but it seems like I have to push to get it to come out I asked my doctor if i could have stool softner but he told me he would prefer a supository or an enema but I am not having any problems pooping its just everytime that I strain or try to push my stomach hurts afterwards so if somebody could give me a recomendation on a good stool softner or another redemy to help please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Re: BM concerns ~ any remedies?

I used prune juice becuz the pushing really hurt when I had tried a stool softner, even though I was slightly pushing. A little prune juice, too much gave me the runs & the cramping was extreme. I'm 12 wks post op today and still get constipated, I occasional take peri-colace that works for me now
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM

I took Colace and a double shot of prune juice yuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM

You can buy Colace over the counter. I prefer Miralax and think it works wonderfully. Did your doctor give you a rationale for not wanting you to take a stool softener? I'm a gyne RN and all the physicians I've ever worked with order stool softeners (usually colace) for their patients post-operatively.
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM

I can say that milk of magnesia in the "wild cherry" flavor is working really great for me. I would not want a supository, but if your doctor prefers them, tell him next time you come in, you could bring some, and he can bend over and you will give him one.
Every night before bed I take 2 Tablespoons of the milk of mag, and 3 colace stool softners and in the morning, no problems at all. No cramps, no pain, no pushing, just an easy passing.
I think supositories have their uses, but in this case I think your Dr. is wrong. With the stool softners and milk of mag, you can adjust it down as you need to. I am still using some narcotic pain meds, and straining in the past has gotten me bleeding red blood again. When ever I can go without the norco, I will taper off the stool softners and MM.
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:59 PM

I use Benefiber and Miralax once a day.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM

I like Smooth Move tea. It works overnight and zero cramping. I also like prune juice or raisin bran cereal. Milk of Mag works too, but it REALLY works on me. I used 1 tablespoon to get going post op on day 5. It says 30 minutes to 6 hours to work. I barely made it to 30 minutes and there was no straining, whew!! It it is easy to create the best dose for yourself too. Holy Moly, if I took Flamewoman's dose it wouldn't be pretty it just goes to show how different we all are. Good luck to you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register