Fibroid Hyster Sisters? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Fibroid Hyster Sisters? Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Unread 04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

My questions are has anyone else had fibroids that grew large and fast and didn't know they had them? Also is this IVP test common for this surgery? It sounds like surgery itself LOL.
Hugs and Blessings to all[/quote]

My situation was similar to yours as well. I went in last year and found the fibroid for the first time...small and not worthy of more study after a 3 month period of time showed slow growth. By my annual visit 10 months later the tumor was huge and my uterus was stretched to 5 month pregnancy size.

I had an abdominal, left the cervix and one ovary...they found a cyst on the other. It all went well and they were able to only do a horizontal cut and not a vertical.

There was no cancer, thank goodness. From what my doctor said the tumor had tapped into one of the main blood supplies in my body, hence the rapid growth. It can also relate to stress, or so I have read as I investigated.

Sorry I don't know about the other tests...just keep reminding yourself that you can handle whatever comes your way...it's the waiting that is the hardest...you'll do great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

5 fibroids and enlarged uterus, size of large grapefruit. Heavy bleeding, pain that 800mg ibuprofen won't touch, low back pain that travels to hips and down legs, tired all the time. Can't wait to get this over with and get my life back. I quit volunteering for church activities after having to be a no-show a few of times.( I am NEVER a no-show). Just wish this keep/remove ovary decision wasn't so hard. Problem is science just doesn't know enough yet for us to make a well researched conclusion.
dc
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Ivp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diiiigafs
I went in for my yearly check up (actually 6 months late...1st time) and was told my uterus was enlarged to the size of a 3 month pregnancy. The dr scared me when he said it was not normal for a fibroid to grow that fast. I don't know what he means by fast but it had been 1 1/2 years since I last saw him. He sent me for external and internal ultrasounds which found what they think are fibroids. Had a biopsy done and it came back OK thank God. He said tho that they still have to check it when it comes out. The ultrasound showed my uterus to be a 16 week size and more than one fibroid. I am scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on May 3rd. I am terrified, I have never had major surgery before. The funny thing is I didn't even know I had this and according to the tests it is huge. He says I can leave it if I want but he suggests taking it out as it is towards the back, and could cause problems for other things. He will leave my ovaries and cervix. I have to go in now for pre admission testing and they are doing a test called IVP: An intravenous pyelogram (IVP) is an x-ray examination of the kidneys, ureters and urinary bladder that uses contrast material. So I have to clean out the night before the test and then they will inject iodine or something, and then take the x-rays. My questions are has anyone else had fibroids that grew large and fast and didn't know they had them? Also is this IVP test common for this surgery? It sounds like surgery itself LOL.
Hugs and Blessings to all

My son had a IVP before and didn't have to do a bowel prep. Just make sure you are not alergic to iodine!!

mshowdy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Thanks Firbroid Hyster Sisters!

Wow. Amazing to hear all the similar stories and experiences.
Re the speed of growth:
I had a very fast growing fibroid that I had no idea was there. My husband had commented on the size of my belly (how thoughtful) given that I was working out and exercising, but didn't really think much of it. I hadn't even heard of fibroids! Unfortunatley I was pregnant when I found out...
Re the pain:
Unbeleivable pain!! My large fibroid "died" during the pregnancy. The blood supply slowly gets cut off. The pain was excruitiating. I had to take heavy duty painkillers for most of the pregnancy and pain was my constant companion. When it was finally removed when my son was 18 months old, the 15cm fibroid had twisted on a pedicle 3 times! The gyn took a photo - it was very impressive.
Re the alien:
That's exactly how I have felt about them! Time for the aliens that are left to return to the mother ship...

Those who are afraid - I know the feeling - but I think that after weighing up the pros and cons, life will be much better without the hassles - pain, discomfort, bleeding, bladder problems, bowel problems, back issues etc etc. No thanks!
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshowdy
My son had a IVP before and didn't have to do a bowel prep. Just make sure you are not alergic to iodine!!

mshowdy
How do I find out if I am allergic to iodine???
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

As of August 2006, I had many fibroids, some small, some larger. I had a trip to the castle set for 8/16/06, and then I cancelled it. However, I'm calling the doctor today to make an appointment because I'm ready to finally be a princess...not sure if my fibroids have grown, shrunk, or stayed the same, but I'll find out soon. 2007 is princess time for me.....I'm tired of being so tough and fighting through the pain. LOL

Sandy
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
fibroid causing bladder issue

Have been dealing with constant need to urinate and heaviness for 2-3 months. A cystoscopy on Monday confirmed a large fibroid that was sitting on my bladder and pushing into it causing it to only fill about 1/2 way. Urologist recommened that it come out. Have a surgical consultation next Tuesday and am very nervous. Have 6 fibroids of various sizes and have been dealing with "flooding" issues for the past 2 years. Gyno has said this is normal and fibroids shouldn't be removed unless necessary. I think we have reached the necessary point. Am very nervous as I'm not sure what my options are. I just turned 36 so am concerned about having a hysterectomy and possibly going into menopause so early. Also concerned if I only have the fibroids removed that they will grown back and cause problems later on. My husband and I do not have children and are pretty sure that is the right thing for us. But I keep having this nagging thought that I may regret a hysto later on if I change my mine, but I don't think I will as far as the children issue is concerned. I am a 3rd grade teacher so I get my "kid" fix at work

Anyway, I am in the beginning stages of this experience and am already starting to stress out. Luckily, summer starts at the end of May and I am hoping that my hubby and I can take a short trip before this surgery occures. I don't have to be back at work until the beginning of April so I am hoping a good month and a 1/2 will be enough recovery time.

Just scared, stressed and really nervous about this whole thing. Hoping to feel more informed after meeting with the Dr. next week.

Just curious if anyone else on the fibroid forum has had a similar experience with them pressing on the bladder and did surgery fix the problem?

Thanks
Unread 04-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muon
Have been dealing with constant need to urinate and heaviness for 2-3 months. A cystoscopy on Monday confirmed a large fibroid that was sitting on my bladder and pushing into it causing it to only fill about 1/2 way. Urologist recommened that it come out. Have a surgical consultation next Tuesday and am very nervous. Have 6 fibroids of various sizes and have been dealing with "flooding" issues for the past 2 years. Gyno has said this is normal and fibroids shouldn't be removed unless necessary. I think we have reached the necessary point. Am very nervous as I'm not sure what my options are. I just turned 36 so am concerned about having a hysterectomy and possibly going into menopause so early. Also concerned if I only have the fibroids removed that they will grown back and cause problems later on. My husband and I do not have children and are pretty sure that is the right thing for us. But I keep having this nagging thought that I may regret a hysto later on if I change my mine, but I don't think I will as far as the children issue is concerned. I am a 3rd grade teacher so I get my "kid" fix at work

Anyway, I am in the beginning stages of this experience and am already starting to stress out. Luckily, summer starts at the end of May and I am hoping that my hubby and I can take a short trip before this surgery occures. I don't have to be back at work until the beginning of April so I am hoping a good month and a 1/2 will be enough recovery time.

Just scared, stressed and really nervous about this whole thing. Hoping to feel more informed after meeting with the Dr. next week.

Just curious if anyone else on the fibroid forum has had a similar experience with them pressing on the bladder and did surgery fix the problem?

Thanks
My sister had this very problem and it caused her to have retention (while she was overseas in a very inaccessible place!). It was a major drama for her - and she got quite sick. She decided to sit it out and see what happened - but it happened to her again. She decided to have a TVH and has not looked back. She realised afterwards that she had been putting up with frequency for years and had thought it was normal! Funnily enough, my GP also had a hysterectomy for the same reason!

It must be a very difficult decision for you to have a hysterectomy. I had a myomectomy to remove 2 large fibroid, and then went on to have a successful pregnancy. They didn't grow back - but I have got more now. It was still worth having the operation so that I could have another child. I'm now having a hyster. 10 years after the myomectomy.

I guess you have to be absolutely sure you don't want children before having a hysterectomy. There is very good chance that you will continue to have problems with that fibroid - they don't generally shrink until you hit menopause. So you will probably have to make a decision one way or another. You should look closely at your options. You don't want to end up in an emergency situation where you have to make a decision in a hurry.

Good luck - hope this helps!
Unread 04-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

TPSNow, I have a similar long term experience.

I am 43 and I chose to have a myomectomy at 32 so that I could still have children. It is now 11 years later and there are more fibroids and the ones the gyno left inside me are worse. The pain has grown of occations flare-ups to constant pain, bladder pressure, back aches, and bowel issues.

My TAH is next month so the myo gave me a good 8-9 years. I'd say I have been really struggling with the fibroids affecting me badly again for the last 2 1/2 years so I probably waited too long for this. Now I know I do not want to start having babies so the TAH is the right thing for me, but back then, I wanted to have babies more than anything else in the world.
Unread 04-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

I found out yesterday that I have 9 fibroids, one embedded in the uterine wall which allows me the pleasure of bleeding every 15-18 days. My uterus has dropped and there are one or two other issues. Can't laugh or cough too hard or there may be a flooding problem, haven't slept through the night in a while. I feel soooo incredibly blessed to have found this site and all of the positive honest thoughts expressed.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register