Help Help!! I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Help!!  I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!! Help Help!! I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!!

Unread 06-03-2002, 01:55 PM
EMEMA CONTINUATION

ENEMA STORY CONTINUATION!!

Hello Donna and everyone else who read and posted back to me!!
I just got home and survived. And yes, it was difficult to hold in but Donna, don't you worry, I have some tips. It was worse for me because some cute young guy put the thingee into my butt!!! :eyes:

Here it goes Donna--I have to say that I am glad so many out there could relate. What happens is you get a gown..nothing is worn under it. You lay on xray table and they insert the tube into your butt and it looks as if it will not fit but it does and it doesn't even hurt. When they're done..you can barely feel it. Okay, now, they let a big bag full of white liquid flow into your rectum..you can see it on the tvscreen. THey tell you it will feel like you have to go and to ignore it. Well, let me tell you...urgency like that is next to impossible to ignore. The only good thing is it takes 15 minutes and you're off to the bathroom to expell the white stuff out of your colon. Now, you may think that this is the worst part but after the laxatives you will be taking the night before, it's nothing but a relief!!

As for the prep, the night before: THe card of instructions they gave me said to drink the liquid at 8pm and take the 4 dulcolax at 10pm. The nurse said to start at 5pm instead, so I could sleep the night. Well, good thing that I did because I was going to the bathroom every ten minutes from 10pm all the way until six thirty in the morning with ugly cramps starting just around 4am. So my advice to you is start early or else you'll still be going at your appointment. NOT GOOD TO HAVE THAT IN THERE ALONG WITH THE WHITE STUFF!!! :explode: Once you have made it through the fasting and the "cleaning out", you'll be ready for anything!! Oh, and also, a good tip for you is, that day when you do the prep, they say you can eat breakfast. My nurse said to do liquids, and not a meal becasue remember, what goes in, will eventually have to come out and bacon and eggs with a side of pancakes is scary!!!!!!!!

If you're scared or want more details, feel free to email me Donna and I'll help you. I was so scared too. And thanks to everyone else that posted. It felt good to have people who cared!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 08:34 AM
Help!

Hi. Just wanted to try to help you a bit. The Barrium enima deal, is kind of like your friend said...it really is not any fun. They really do pump the stuff in there, and then they blow up a balloon (also inside there). There is alot of pressure, and it is kind of hard to kepp the barrium inside....but, TRY VERY HARD TO DO SO (or they have to do it again...I KNOW....). I also had to drink some barrium (not as much as with the upper GI, though). Once they do the x-ray's, yes, you will have to RUN to the restroom! But, it will bring much relief, do so!

As far as this test being called an IVP...no, it is not. An IVP is a study of the kidney's and tubes. This, I know, because I have chronic pyleonephritis (chronic kidney infection) and have an IVP done about every 9 mos. I am pretty sure the enima one is called a lower GI. If you are also hving an IVP...don't worry about it...it is a breeze! You do have to clean out the bowels, the day before. But, the actual IVP, all it is... they put a small IV in, and inject some dye (if you are allergic, like me, they pre medicate you with benedryl and steroids), and, you lay on an x-ray table while they take pictures. Then, you hve to empty your bladder, and they take more pictures. That's it! Takes about 20 minutes. The only suprise there is during it is that the dye causes a "hot" sensation through the pelvis area, that lasts for about a minute, minute and half.

Hope this helps!

My best advice....RELAX as much as you can, during the proceedure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register