LSH with old scar tissue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH with old scar tissue LSH with old scar tissue

Unread 11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
LSH with old scar tissue

After a failed ablation got the news today that I need a LSH. I think I'm OK with this. I just want the pain to end.
I am a little (a lot) unnerved by one comment the Dr. made and hope someone can provide insight.

She said there is a risk of having to change plan during surgery and do the abdominal incision instead of laproscopic. She said most often this is because they find a lot of old scar tissue. She continued that there isn't any way to know for sure until the surgery begins. Maybe I misunderstood her?

I did ask "like too much C-section scar tissue?" and she said yes. She didn't dwell on the topic. But, I am. I've had two C-sections.

I guess what will be, will be.
Still, does anyone know what the odds of old scar tissue limiting a LSH and causing the need for the full incision are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2008, 06:19 AM
LSH with old scar tissue

Hi WendyAnn,
I'm sorry about your failed ablation-that hapened to me, too.
My doctor told me the same thing about maybe having to switch to abdominal-from what I've been reading here, it sounds like most doctors say that. I, too had a c-section (a looong time ago!) and also a very enlarged uterus, but my doctor was still able to do my surgery laproscopically. Good luck to you!
Judy
Unread 11-12-2008, 06:38 AM
LSH with old scar tissue

i was able to have the lsh after two csections and a few other abdominal surgeries. my dr never acted concerned about that at all..said it would be no problem when i specifically asked him. everyone is told the surgery can be converted to a tah though. there are a lot of reasons it might have to be and your dr is just letting you know that she is expecting to do the lsh but you might wake up with a tah. it happens but i wouldnt really worry about it. any type of lap surgery has a conversion rate. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
LSH with old scar tissue

Thanks for the replies.
I feel better now. I guess I am just a little more sensitive to these explanation of risk factors since the ablation caused a puncture, which I was warned about but didn't take too seriously...

Very true, those things don't happen often. It will be in the back of my mind, but I am going to shake off the major concern.

Thank you, again!
Unread 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
LSH with old scar tissue

Thank you. This is a question I too had. I had 1 c-section and was told that they could change from Robotic to full incision.
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
LSH with old scar tissue

Hi Sisters!

I too had 2 sections and my doc told me she only has had to convert 3 times in her career! I like those odds. But they have to tell you the possibilities. I'm scheduled for the 17th, she told me LSH or LAVH not sure yet. I think I would prefer the LSH (1 or 2 less cuts?) I see her today for pre op "talk"

Love to all you sisters out there, and a speedy recovery!
I'll post on the other side!
Casei
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
LSH with old scar tissue

wow... interesting.. the second doc I saw said she would have to go abdominal because of my two c-sections.

do you think the way they cut you makes a difference in this, or just experience?

Glad I fired her too!
Unread 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
LSH with old scar tissue

During surgery there was alot of scar tissue... even my bladder had gotten attached to my previous c-section 13 years ago and had to be cut away from it. But they were still able to to the Robotic DaVinci
Unread 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
LSH with old scar tissue

Hi WendyAnn,

My sister had an abdominal myomectomy a few years ago for the removal of a large fibroid and she went on to have my two nieces via C-sections...and she had a LSH last year for reoccurring fibroids. She had the same hyst type I did.

~Sending best wishes

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register