Scheduled SAH Question about children and hospital visits | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about children and hospital visits Question about children and hospital visits

Unread 01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Question about children and hospital visits

I noticed there seems to be quite a few of us with small children. What are your plans for your children while you are in the hospital? Will they come see you?

My husband will be home with the kids for the 4 days I am in the hospital. I've rarely spent any time away from my kids, maybe one night here and there, and then the 2 nights I spent in hospital when I had my daughter's c/s. I'm not sure what I want. I've heard that I'm going to be really out of it while in there, and I will also be sharing a room with up to 3 other people. My kids are 1 and 3. I'm leaning toward just phoning them from the hospital and waiting to see them when I get out... But I don't know. That will be hard on them, and on me. I just don't know! My surgery is on Wednesday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Re: Question about children and hospital visits

I would wait and see how you are feeling. That way there is no pressure to be up and looking "normal" for your kids, if you really don't feel well. If you miss them and are feeling good, have your husband bring them up for a short visit. If you are really missing them and are doing well, maybe your doc will let you go home a little early.

I have a 16 year old and a 9 month old. I will only be in the hospital 1 night, so the baby is going to my brother-in-laws and the 16 year old I'm sure will be hanging out with friends.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Speaking for the other 3 women in your room, I would not welcome young children in the room no matter how well they behave, and I love young children. I would wait and see. You are going to be recovering from major surgery. I know I had a young nephew come visit me the day after a c-section. He was 3. It was pretty upsetting for him to see me that soon. And this surgery is a bigger deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2010, 11:04 AM

I also have a little one. One other thing to consider depending on the area you live in is the hospital rules. DH and I went to the local hospital last week for a doctor's appt. and he went to take a walk with DS who is almost three and was told he could not take him into the cafeteria! They were sent back to the doctor's office and told due to H1N1 and regular influenza they cannot walk around the hospital. I thought that was strange, understand, but the cafeteria? Anyway, I know that the hospital I am going to have my surgery has very specific restrictions for visitor's, especially minors. Most floors do not allow any children, barring the OB floor they have different rules for siblings. I want to see my son too, but DH said that maybe I can get out a little sooner if I am doing well. I was released a day early from my c-setion because I had passed gas and felt good. It's hard, I know I will be very anxious to leave him as I am with him 24/7.
Best Wishes
alicia
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM

If I am ok my dad will bring my 2 yr dd to see mommy is ok. My 10 yr ds will come up after school. He is acting out and we think it's from worry, so he will come see me.
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM

I had my surgery in late October and was put on the post partum floor where they allowed children to visit. The remainder of the hospital was off limits to those under 16 yrs old. Our youngest is 13 and even she would not have been allowed up to see me if I was on the surgical floor. In late December, our 18 yr old son had ambulatory surgery at the same hospital for a broken nose (soccer) and there were notices throughout the building stating that due to H1N1, no visitors under the age of 18 were being allowed in the hospital.

It's probably best to check with the hospital regarding visitation policy. You may also want to consider how your kids may react to seeing you in discomfort and in a hospital bed, not to mention the condition of those in the room with you. You don't want to inadvertently make the hospital a scary place for them.

Best wishes for a healthy recovery!
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:09 PM

I never thought about my kids reaction to the other patients, seeing them in a rough condition. My son is very empathic and can't stand to see people sad or in pain.

I'm not too worried about the other patients being upset with them being there. I've had far more roommates in hospitals with loud annoying ADULTS visiting for long periods than I've had ones with small children being a nuisance. If hubby did bring them, they would only be there for 10 or 15 min tops.

Our hosital does not have any resrictions on minors being in the hospital. There is a handwashing station at the doors and masks, so everyone who is sick puts on a mask and washes their hands to keep from spreading illness, as well as hand sanitizer pumps outside every room, nursing station and elevator. The only places they have restrictions are recovery rooms on the surgical floor (you are moved onto another floor after recovery), and the ER, ICU and NICU, though direct family is an exception if arranged before hand. We also have visiting rooms on each floor, which is basically a room with a tv and chairs for people with more than one visitor to go to.

But, I set up on-call babysitters (neighbors) for Dh so that he can come see me without them. Depending on visiting hours he'll probably come after bedtime or during naptime. I'm hoping they will be alright until I can come home. I know I will miss them, but I hope the drugs help with that
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:22 PM

There's also the reaction of your son seeing you in the throes of recovery hooked up to IV's and all that other scary stuff. Perhaps the sound of your cheery voice on hte telephone would comfort him. Maybe you could purchase some small gift that sends an I love you message home to him from the hospital via your husband. Let him know mom is still there for him.
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwantto View Post
There's also the reaction of your son seeing you in the throes of recovery hooked up to IV's and all that other scary stuff. Perhaps the sound of your cheery voice on hte telephone would comfort him. Maybe you could purchase some small gift that sends an I love you message home to him from the hospital via your husband. Let him know mom is still there for him.
Good idea! TY!
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM

My kids are almost 17yrs and 13yrs. If the hospital permits it, I'd like them to come at least the next day or so. I'm not sure about the first day or two, depending on how often nurses have to come in and check me. The kids don't need to see a nurse flip Mom's gown open!

But, I plan to wait 'n see. I may just not want anyone there. And my kids make me laugh, a LOT, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing after major surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register