Anyone end up with a Colostomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone end up with a Colostomy? Anyone end up with a Colostomy?

Unread 10-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Anyone end up with a Colostomy?

My surgery is in 10 days.... yikes. Just seeing that freaks me out a bit!

Anyway, I am high risk for a lot of things during surgery. One of those is a colostomy. Which terrifies me! I am in my early 30's and don't want to be living with a colostomy - temporary or not!

Has anyone had to have one after surgery? Can you tell me about it and ease my mind please? I told my DR I do NOT want a colostomy.... but she said because my endo has infiltrated my body all the way up to my heart and is causing havoc in my bowl, it is a real possibility.... And as I am getting closer I am losing sleep! My emotions are all over the place just for losing my fertility and never having children.... and going through this so young.... and to add this worry on top of it... well I need some help! I am scared to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Re: Anyone end up with a Colostomy?

You poor thing....and I felt bad about whining about this cath for a week.
I can't tell you if you will get 1 or not, but from what reasearch I have done, at least nowadats they are temporary and not permenant. I myself am 32 and this past week I have felt like a little old lady. However, if these temp inconviences will give us a much better quality of life, then I am willing to deal with it.

It sounds a s though you have about the worst case of endo there is, so this surgery may end up saving your life. Try not to let it terrify you, let it revive you as to what you will be able to do after the healing from this surgery.

This surgery is very scary and emotional and the waiting and worrying is so far really the worst. The first 6 days of my post-op I definitly wondered why I had done this, but really the only pain I was having was all from the gas they use during the Davinci.
I hope you don't wind up having a Colostomy, but you don't want those poisons running through your body or risking that kind of infection, that can be life threatning very quickly.

We will be here to support you along the way and try to answer whatever questions you have along the way.

(((HUGS))) to you and praying you get the outcome you are looking for.
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Hi. I think you had your op on my birthday! 4th November? How are you doing? Im due to have my surgery on the 11th dec and am at risk of temp (and god forbid , permanent) bowel and bladder damage. This is because the surgeon needs to cut into them due to scar tissue. I'm scared to death. I hope you was ok xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2012, 10:51 PM

I didn't end up with a Colostomy, thankfully. Simply because they felt due to all the damage they found, if they touched my bowel in anyway it could kill me. My DR said had I waited another month, I would have died. I didn't realize that it was so severe. I mean, I knew I was in extreme pain and something was seriously wrong. I didn't know that I wouldn't live to Thanksgiving without surgery. So while recovery has been rough, I am thankful I had surgery and I am here recovering!

So Danni, best of luck to you. I know how scary it is. My bowel is paper thin, and my DR put lights in my bladder to help guide them. My bladder is super bruised, but no permeant damage thankfully. Let me know how surgery goes.
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM

It was my greatest fear. I took care of my grandmothers (unrelated surgery) for a long time. I know this may sound terrible, and I know these procedures are reversable in most cases as my grandmothers was but I made my Dr. promise if that were the case, please just let me go. My family was also aware of my wishes in writing. There was no need to worry though. My Doc was great. He said it is just a warning he needs to tell every patent and has NEVER had to do one! I stressed for nothing, buy hey thats what us women do right?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register