TVH 2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake? 2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake?

Unread 04-30-2016, 09:08 AM
2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake?

I had surgery 2 months ago. The organs we decided to remove were my cervix (damaged by past treatments for CIN3), healthy uterus, and tubes. I've never had a problem with them but the tubes were removed because ovarian cancer can begin there, and it reduces the risk of an ectopic pregnancy due to an (unlikely) opening in the vaginal cuff from poor suturing/healing. No one in my family has ever had ovarian problems of any kind, so I opted to keep them.
I also had posterior colporrhaphy to repair past episiotomy damage and sacrospinous ligament fixation to help prevent a vaginal prolapse later. A hysterectomy can cause all kinds of urinary and colon problems. My surgeon was great and did all she could to attempt to avoid any future issues.
I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake? I had high hopes I would be better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Re: Uterine Prolapse

What are you regretting? Are you not feeling well?

I had everything except one ovary removed - and my only regret is not doing this much, much sooner!
Unread 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake?

I'm not sure I understand why you are regretting the surgery. Ian also 2 months out and feel almost like myself again. I know I made the best decision for me. I hope that you will be able to look towards the future and all the wonderful things headed your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Re: Uterine Prolapse

post 4773909

I'm new here and I am doing a sloppy job of posting. Sorry, I vented in another thread.
I was excited about being free of the threat of cervical cancer and hopeful that I would feel better. I returned to work after 6 weeks, with doctors release. I have been very uncomfortable since my surgery. I wish that my problems were over. Feeling very down today. I didn't actually have full-blown cancer and the prolapse wasn't the end of the world. It feels like things are already starting to collapse again, so what was the point? I suppose it was the right choice though. Has anyone else had doubts?
Unread 04-30-2016, 02:43 PM

I understand. I had my surgery on January 12. I had cervix, uterus, tubes and ovaries removed. My mother had ovarian cancer. The surgery was for fibroids. I still have pain and too much activity will still sometimes knock the wind out of my sails. Yet I am better. My bp was elevated before surgery and now is normal. My acid reflux is improved. My risk of ovarian cancer is reduced. But still... I regret it. Even though I think it was for the best. But also in the back of my mind I think maybe I should have just lived with it. I'm wondering if this is just an emotional response to a traumatic experience. It's a big surgery. I'm hopeful that time will bring positive feelings. I hope so for you too. You didn't make your decision rashly so trust yourself. Good luck. 😊
Unread 04-30-2016, 08:22 PM
Re: 2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake?

I'm with you! I am 3 months and two weeks out and with all the side effects from this surgery, I would have rather kept the **** fibroid. I guess there's nothing I can do now.
Unread 05-01-2016, 12:13 AM
Re: 2 months post hysterectomy: I'm at a point now where I regret this surgery. Has anyone else felt it was a mistake?

I don't have regrets. Had it not been for hysterectomy my cancer would have gone undetected. So for me I feel it saved my life.

I did require a 2nd surgery 9 weeks afterwards which was more difficult but I am recovering well. Surgical menopause has not been too bad as I am managing it with dietary changes, yoga and therapeutic grade essential oils.

Remaining optimistic I will continue to heal and have no cancer recurrence!

Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-01-2016, 12:50 AM

Im sorry to hear those that continue to have issues after surgery..Everyones situation is different.. For those with a uterine fibroid issue, this is my story: Uterine fibroid, check yearly. I was told by a few Gyn to have a hysterectomy. Last Gyn said we can watch & wait, try other procedures, but it could return. I coukdnt take lupron to shrink. Menopause theyll shrink...Thats what I was holding out for. All issues 1 by 1 bc the fibroid rapidly grew bc surg in estrogen, & with it my uterus enlarged. ( I wasnt told earlier estrogen can surg pre or periomenopause, then fibroid increases). I was holding out for it to shrink. So, back pain, leg pain, digestive issue's, Gerd, acid reflux, then i started strange breathing issues at night, hiatal hernia bc fibroid pushing everything, then lean into my kidney. Anemic, hard to sleep bc pressure. My uterus rapidly enlarged to 1697 grams, 200 xs larger than normal uterus! I was tolerating so much. So now all my symptoms are gone. In hindsight, I probably should have had surgery a long time ago, with less invasive surgery & spare myself all the health issue I had to deal with. So those thinking if they just held out to wait for menopause to shrink fibroids, its not always the case. My Primary Dr told me if it were to shrink, it would be maybe 50%..
Unread 05-01-2016, 10:14 PM

No regrets for me. I'm happy to have that alien tumor and cancer out of my body. I'm happy for no more crime scene periods and no more back pain from painful ovaries. No more leaky bladder. My quality of life is 100 times better than eight weeks ago.
Unread 05-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
My uterus rapidly enlarged to 1697 grams, 200 xs larger than normal uterus! I was tolerating so much.
Racheli, Paulette Ap.
Oh my goodness! I'm sorry you ladies went through all of that. You definitely NEEDED a hysterectomy.

This is my place to vent. I feel worse now than I did before. I've been putting a positive spin on everything for friends, family, coworkers, church members, neighbors. I need someplace to selfishly mourn the loss and have doubts. So thanks for reading my posts and letting me air my grief.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register