Pre-op bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op bleeding Pre-op bleeding

Unread 04-18-2001, 04:33 PM
Pre-op bleeding

I'm new to the "message-board" thing, so bear with me. I'm scheduled for a TAH on 5/9/01 and am having a very heavy period with HUGE clots. My gyn gave me a shot to stop the bleeding so I could build up my blood count over the next couple weeks. Has this happened to any of you ladies. I'm 32 and may also loose my ovaries if gyn finds tumors. I'm a little scared, hence the rambling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 04:47 PM
Why doesn't your doc know if there are tumours?

Hi and welcome

You'll find many women here who have experienced bleeding like you have described, including me.

I'm wondering about this ovarian tumour business, though. If proper investigation has been done, shouldn't your doctor know ahead of time if you have tumours or not? I know ultrasounds aren't perfect, but they tracked cysts on my ovaries for years and we knew very well what we were facing before surgery, except for whether or not the pathology report would say malignant or benign. (All was benign, happily.)

Hope you find answers to our questions as you browse the boards, and good luck with your surgery.
Unread 04-18-2001, 04:53 PM
Pre-op bleeding

Janet,

I had a TVH on 3/5/o1 - I would hemmoragh and end up in ER. I was seriously anemic. My dr would prescribe 4 birthcontrol pills a day to slow down the blood flow. It took 2 days to take effect. I know it is scary. If you have any questions, call your dr.

Ive been there and I know how awful you are feeling.

Good luck
((((((((((((((((((janet)))))))))))))))))))

Tina
TVH 3/5/01 - large fibriods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 04:54 PM
Welcome Janet!

You are in the right place. Before my surgery (TAH/BSO on 3/5/01) I was terrified. This is one place you don't have to worry about being scared, or about rambling, for that matter....it's the norm!

Most of the women here have had heavy bleeding, clots, pain, etc.

Please keep reading, and use the pull down menus to help you get prepared for your surgery and recovery. Make lists of things you want to clarify with your doctor before your surgery, so you can feel confident about what to expect and what's ahead for you. We are all different, but we share common needs.

Please keep asking your questions about anything at all...there's someone here 24/7 to help you. Also check out the Chat room every afternoon and evening...many other women right where you are, going through the same things at the same time. It's very easy to download AIM if you don't have it (directions are right there), and you'll enjoy meeting new friends!

Sending good thoughts to you!

Karen
Unread 04-23-2001, 12:09 PM
Tumors or not

Arctic,
I think I used the wrong terminology--I meant cysts.
The ultra sound shows signs of erupted cysts but the tech couldn't find any existing ones. So my doc said she would have to look when she's in there for signs of new cysts and the probability of future ones. From what I've learned from the Hyster Sisters and other research, I am going to request the removal of the ovaries just to be safe. I will have to be on HRT any way, so why keep the ovaries if they don't work?
Thanks for the well-wishes!
Unread 04-23-2001, 12:21 PM
Hi Janet

It sounds like you have a good doc, who explains things to you. I got used to taking a notebook with me to write things down, so I wouldn't use the wrong word or spelling for something ( I have a sister who is a nurse, and likes to know EVERYTHING )
So don't feel bad about confusing terms. And it's true, sonograms aren't perfect, but they are a fantastic diagnostic tool. Nothing beats visualization during surgery, which is when the doc really sees exactly what is there, and can make a call as to how to treat it. This is where absolute trust of your doc comes into play. Your age has some to do with whether or not to keep ovaries...the estrogen production they have left vs the chance that they will at some point become diseased and have to be removed. I had ovarian cysts that did not always show up on a sono, even a vag sono, due to adhesions and endo scarring. Go by what your doc tells you, and keep asking those questions! I ended up keeping my ovaries because at age 39, they looked good to the doc, and he felt that the estrogen might come in handy for me plus, he knows, that ME on hrt, I would be calling his office twice a week just to bug him
Keep reading, and ask questions of your doc when you have them. Write stuff down, it really helps.

Good Luck!

Mary
Unread 04-23-2001, 01:32 PM
Pre-op bleeding

Janet,
I can relate to the bleeding and anemia. I am 39 and have had a non-stop "period" since 2/21 that is until the last few days.
Here I am 3 days from surgery and it suddenly stops. Which is great. I had gone through the high dose BCP's regimen and never did they get it to stop until I wound up in the ER late last week and finally they gave me something that worked. Plus I am on bedrest until surgery because of it too which is probably what really helped it stop in the first place.

Janet be sure you eat a lot of iron rich foods and ask about an iron supplement if you aren't already on one. I am unable to tolerate iron pills and believe me I tried a lot of them. They make me nauseous and constipate me
to boot. Maybe you will do better with them than me.

Keep on posting and asking questions because there is no better place than this to learn about what you are going through.

shelle1962
Unread 04-27-2001, 09:42 AM
Pre-op bleeding

Wouldn't you know. . . I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy May 7, I just started my LAST period and it's the "wierdest" one yet. I'm passing "old" blood clots which seems to be just one more symptom of adenomyosis. I just feel so strange. No pain (yet - that comes later), just a swimming head and exhaustion (I'm anemic). I'm trying to get my affairs in order, I'm in charge of a huge move project at work that's happening as I write.

My preop visit was great. Got my bloodwork done, an EKG and chest X-ray. Doc told me that he does a more thorough exam while I am "under" to determine if he can still do a vaginal and check my ovaries to see if they are healthy enough to stay in. I'm prepared for any situation and gave him permission to take whatever is not healthy out.

The fear factor has come and gone several times. It usually hits in the middle of the night for some reason. But I know this is the best thing I could've done for myself and my family. Good luck to everyone who's "going to the castle" this week and next.
Unread 04-27-2001, 10:04 AM
bleeding

Hi regarding your bleeding, I am scheduled for May 1,surgery. I am having my period right now, clots, heavy bleeding etc.They told me to eat cream of wheat everyday, and use molasses, make cookies or I just put it in my cream of wheat.Also, no motrin, advil etc.This is to raise your iron levels. I don't know if it works but I have been doing it anyway. You will get sick of it after awhile. Read the messages on this site as often as possible, and think positive, wishing you all the best. Vicki
Unread 04-28-2001, 06:25 AM
Pre-op bleeding

Janet, you say that you will be on HRT whether or not you keep your ovaries. That is a bit puzzling: unless you are peri-menopausal or need hormone supplement for some reason or other, it is unusual to be put on HRT after a Hyst if you still have functionning ovaries.

Even if you are on HRT either way, your ovaries will continue to produce hormones, even in tiny dosage, even after menopause. It is easier to supplement your own hormones than to entirely replace them, as is the case when ovaries are surgically removed.

To learn more about HRT, you might want to visit our sister site http://www.hormonejungle.com as well as the Hormone Jungle message board. For information about menopause without HRT, visit our new message board No Hormone Desert Oasis

About the bleeding, I know what you mean: I had my hyst in December due to a very large fibroid that was cause intense, irregular and very fequent bleeding as well as aggravating a rectocele. My last monster period lasted 8 weeks and was still going strong when I entered the OR.

I built up my blood count by taking iron supplements (on my doctor's advice) and by eating iron rich food. Those include raisins, prunes, molasses, dark green vegatable such as brocoli and spinach, red meat, liver (if you can stomach it - I can't). Another trick that was handed by a nurse: cooking in an iron skillet/pan - the iron residue is capture in the food

It is also a good idea to avoid motrin, advil and ASA, and any other anti-inflamatories since they tend to thin the blood. In fact, it is always a good idea to check with your doctor before taking ANY meds, natural or not, so close before surgery.

Best of luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register