driving after 4 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

driving after 4 weeks driving after 4 weeks

Unread 06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
driving after 4 weeks

Has anybody drove themselves a great distance of 150 miles one way at 4 weeks post-op? my dh wants me to meet him next Friday about 150 miles away from home. I then have to go back home on sunday and turn around Monday and drive 100 miles one way to my dentist appt. I will have to do all of this by myself. I am seriously thinkin g about telling my dh that HE can drive the 150 miles to see ME and then turn around and drive where he needs to be for work the following Sunday. He wants to see his dad for a few days before he goes to OKC to work. He left a week ago monday for a vacation that HE SO WELL DESERVED instead staying home and taking care of me.
IF HE CHOOSES TO SEE HIS DAD INSTEAD COMING HOME TO SEE HIS WIFE, HE WILL BE DIRT and it will take a lot of prayers to forgive him for his selfish attitude! He can see his dad the following Friday when he comes home from OKC.
Don't get me wrong, i love my father-in-law, but I did have major surgery and my dh needs to be home with me!
I have been driving around town for the past week and do okay with it, but I am not sure about long distances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
driving after 4 weeks

IMHO, don't do it.

Even if you were ok to do it physically (sounds like a stretch to me) you'll be soooo p.o.'d by the time you get there your weekend will be toast.

I vote for calling him and explaining where you're coming from. Again, just my opinion, but it seems like some good communication is in order as it sounds like you're feeling neglected and hurt by his choice to leave in the first place.

Good luck.
Unread 06-02-2008, 03:26 AM
driving after 4 weeks

I am in graduate school and drove, in one day, 192 miles round trip to school and back at two weeks post-op. (I had a TLH/BSO) I did this weekly and would end up lying on the sofa the minute I got home until the time I went to bed. By week 4, I began bleeding upon returning home from school and had to stay flat on my back for several days until the bleeding stopped.

I agree with xyzpdq. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend that you drive that distance. Driving around town is a whole different ball game from driving long distances so soon after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2008, 04:32 AM
driving after 4 weeks

I'm not sure that I would make that trip.

At about 3 weeks post-op, I drove 150 miles (total) and was wiped out when I finished. Happy, but wiped out.

Everyone is different and you may be up to it. I just think that it is a lot to do.

Blessings on you ....
Unread 06-02-2008, 07:28 AM
driving after 4 weeks

Hi lightningsusie,

I totally agree with what everyone has said. Don't do it. I actually checked with my doctor and told me while it was okay to be a passenger for that long a distance-not to drive it. She said that driving puts additional stress on the incisions because of the movement of the foot (gas and brakes) and stopping especially sudden stops. While your incisions may look healed outside, it takes much longer for the incisions inside to completely heal.

I think you need to explain things to your hubby.
Best wishes
Marburg
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM
driving after 4 weeks

If you don't feel you can do it then don't. You are still healling. But here is a thought, what if you met him half way. Find a nice little place to stay and places to see while you are there for the weekend. Good Luck in whatever you do.
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
driving after 4 weeks

What is wrong with your DH? Where's his head at? I'm sorry, but he needs a nice big slap-up-side-the-head. Is he usually that insensitive and unsupportive or is this his "I'm so overwhelmed" reaction? Has he never been sick or had surgery or hurt himself? Has he no empathy?
I'm sorry, I am in your recovery week group and was bothered from the beginning of your describing his vacation plans. You do not deserve to be treated like this. Tell him to come to you!(Sorry if I am to strong here.)
I hope all goes well for you - Joanne
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:38 PM
driving after 4 weeks

Thank you all for your sharing. i am going to stay home because I HAVE to make the 100 mile trip next Monday by myself because my dh will be working. I have to have a permanent crown put on because it is the 7th week since I had the temporary one put on. I am going to drive up there on Sunday and spend the night with friends and then drive myself back the next day so that I break the trip up and I get time to rest.
I told my dh to do whatever he needs to. I don't need him to add anymore stress to me during this recovery time than he has. I will be okay. God will work things out in time.
My dh has NOT had any major surgery. Before my TVH he compared it to his vascetomy. i did not know about this site until the night before my surgery. I wished I had known ahead of time so he could have gotten some information to help him understand. Dr.s need to tell their patients about this site. I am going to make my dr. aware of it when I go for my check up on the 10th.
Unread 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
driving after 4 weeks

Amen to letting doctors know about this site. I sent a brochure from Hystersisters to the resident who took care of me and will bring another to my DR when I see him in 4 weeks.
Glad you are taking care of yourself and not making such a long trip. Maybe tell your DH to visit this site on his own. Hopefully it will open his eyes.
Heal well - Joanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register