Out of Work??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Out of Work??? Out of Work???

Unread 06-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Out of Work???

I scheduled my surgery today for the Tuesday after Labor Day.- Sept. 7th. I was told that I would have to be off at least 6 weeks. I will have a Abdominal Hysterectomy, leaving ovaries/tubes, removing the cervix. The Dr. didn't ask me if I sat at a desk or was mobile during work. I am going to give my employer the worst case scenario - 8 weeks. I, also, don't have any vacation time and will be income-less during those 2 months. I was off 2 weeks in April recoving from a laparoscopy. They thought that I had endometriosis and found nothing. Turns out the fibroids were causing all of the fuss. That was my vacation.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Out of Work???

Rayn sounds like a good case for unemployment, the EEOC and the ADA (not to mention a private lawyer). They cannot fire you for having to take medical leave, even in my ultra-conservative-always-support-big-business state of Colorado. Go after them with both barrels open....

As for me, I am going to be doing some work from home while I'm out. I was out of work most of 2003 and am still trying to catch up again, so being completely w/o an income for my recovery period is not an option. I'll be going back to work as soon as I am able to last 8 hours conscious. I've already made arrangement for the working from home, and will have transportation once I can manage it. I've had a few reconstructions on my knees, and have bounced back from those sooner than the docs thought I would, so I am hopeful this will be the same thing.

Best of luck to us all!
Unread 06-25-2004, 08:40 PM
take the bull by the horns...fight, fight, fight

Hi Rayn,
I'm fairly new here but love the support and all the info from my hystersisters. I work 12 hour shifts on a medical/surgical/onocology/ortho floor at my local hospital as a nurses aide (PCA). I know what your going through as for the financial worries.....
I was hit head on by a drunk driver in Nov 2003 and was out of work til March this year. Used all my time up at work. Did not have short term disability insurance at the time (I do now thank God) Now I'm faced with surgery July 15th and being off again this time for at least 6 weeks because I do alot of lifting at work.
I found various organizations that were able to help me during my time out from the accident. The foundation at my hospital gave my children christmas gifts, plus gave me food vouchers and helped pay one of my electric bills, my church also sent food, the homeless coalition in my area helped pay one months mortgage also sent Christmas gifts for my kids and food. Thank God for these community programs. I was drowning and they threw me the life line!
Aside from filing for unemployment for yourself during this time. Check with some of the local community organzations, and churches...theres help out there! although you may run into some that can't help..they will usually point you in the right directions for the help you need! Also check theres something called the Family Medical Leave Act...if you have been at your job more than a year (I believe it is) it protects your job! don't take it lying down for sure!! ....bebo11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Out of Work???

Rayn - I am so sorry - that really stinks !!

I think by the time my castle date is due I'll have 5 weeks of combined annual/sick leave and I hope to accumulate a couple of TOIL days (time-off-in-lieu - I work extra hours over a number of days and they can be taken as days off) .

The rest of the time I can go into arrears and work them off when I go back.

So that will take care of 6 weeks. I have a desk job and I don't want to be away any longer. If I can go back earlier I will.

One thing I may do, which isn't an option for everyone, I know, is when I go back to work I can rest in my car at lunchtime. I can take up to an hour for lunch, although I only take 30 minutes now. I figure get in the passenger seat with the seat laid back and just drowse.

Has anyone else done anything like that, and did it help??
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Out of Work???

I work iin the school system also as a paraprofessional. I secheduled my surgery so I could have the summer to get over it. I understand your curimstances but I will be three week Tusday June 29 and if I had to go back to work right now, I don't know what i would do. I can barely sit at this computer very long and when I'm on my feet to long, I hurt. Give yourself more time than you think you will need. You never know how you will feel until you've been there. I go back to work August 4th and I hope I will be ready then. I will be excately eight weeks then. Sorry for any misspelled words. I just took pain meds . Good luck with everthing.
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Out of Work???

I am also a teacher. While I am only 2 1/2 weeks post op and I feel great, there is no way I could teach at this point. Going to Wal-mart today about did me in. Maybe if I had a desk job it would be a little easier (although sitting too long also makes me very sore). I know I will need every bit of the 7 weeks I have this summer to both recover and build up some stamina. I certainly can't imagine how the sisters with external incisions even think about going back to work so soon. My hat is off to them!

My son is a competitive soccer player. He was recently sidelined due to a knee injury. He sat out 6 weeks. When he came back, he was very rusty. It took an additional 4 weeks to get back up to speed - and he was in great physical shape.

Even though we feel like our bodies may be healed because we feel great, we have been "sidelined" so to speak. It will take time to get back in shape - 6 months to a year, possibly. I am grateful for having the summer off to recover. If you can take the extra time, please do it.
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Out of Work???

I have to say my employer is being wonderful! Of course, it helps that I'm a research assistant for a study on endometrial cancer <wink, wink>
Now, she does know that, financially, it's going to hurt me taking six weeks off. Much of my job involves travelling and carrying stuff. SO, she's providing me with some desk stuff that I can do at home. "Only if you feel up to it," she added, "but it would give you a few hours."
Then she said, "I expect by December you will feel like a new woman." I was touched that she realized even after 6 weeks I won't be back to norm.

I know that I'm blessed and I'm very thankful for this support. It helps to ease my stress greatly.

Carolyn
Unread 06-26-2004, 02:16 AM
Out of Work???

I am nearly 3 weeks post op and I could not even return to a desk job at this point. I am also a teacher and I am hoping to return to school in September, but at this stage I can't be sure.

Take care and make sure your body recovers properly, you would end up doing more harm if you don't
Unread 07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Out of Work???

I want to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. I will definitely use 6 weeks to start. I'll go back earlier or later depending on what my body and Dr. tells me.

Thanks again, Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register