What type of Sonogram is better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What type of Sonogram is better? What type of Sonogram is better?

Unread 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
What type of Sonogram is better?

Hi all I've been lurking for awhile and have gathered so much help and I want to say thank you!

Now to my question...I got 2 opinions over supsected fibroids. One Dr wants to TVH and one wants to do TAH. Here is the problem.

Dr. 1.....pelvic sonogram and made it sound like I had 1 large fibroid. He wants to do the TVH.

Dr. 2.....vaginal sonogram and said I had 3 smaller fibroids. (3cm, 2cm and 1cm) and she wants to do the TAH.

I am very confuses by this...do different types of sonograms show different types of fibroids? Could I really have both types? I will ask the Dr these questions to..just would like some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Re: What type of Sonogram is better?

Hi ladysteelerfan,
Both ultrasounds are usually done together- they just give a different view of the Uterus and ovaries.The pelvic ultrasound done with your bladder full gives overall view which is helpful in showing general locations
The vaginal ultrasound gives a more close up view of things, and better detail of the structures, as long as they are within range- which helps to define things better. I hope this helps clear up the confusion for you- maybe your doctor can show you the images so it makes more sense.
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM

thanks for the info

I guess what I am really wondering is one ultrasound see certain types of fibroids better? Vaginal ...fibroids inside uterus and maybe Pelvic for the others?

Its just that each of the Doctors kinda gave me different info about the types and sizes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:11 AM

I wish there was a solid answer for that one- sometimes- depending on the size of the fibroid, which form of the ultrasound will show things clearer- it varies- In your case and in mine- ours show up with more defined detail with the use of the vaginal ultrasound- but sometimes the fibroids or ovaries may be so large that the full bladder pelvic ultrasound shows up better.
On my scan they could see with the full bladder scan that my endometrium was thick. It wasn't until the vaginal scan was done right after, they got a closer view of that area and noted that I had a polyp, and a fibroid was impinging on the lining, plus the lining (endometrium) was way too thick for my age and time in cycle.
I hope this what you were asking about.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register