4 weeks post-op--still having issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post-op--still having issues 4 weeks post-op--still having issues

Unread 06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
4 weeks post-op--still having issues

Anyone out there tell me if what I'm experiencing is normal or not....I had a TAH 4 weeks ago. There were some post-op complications where I bled out a bit and have a hematoma in my abdomen adding to the soreness, but I thought I'd be so much farther along by now! My belly is painful to the touch and puffy and so sore! I'm so tired and by nightfall, I feel like I can hardly stand up from the pressure and inner pain. Is this normal? Am I just expecting too much of myself?

I need to return to work in two weeks and I'm really concerned I won't be ready. I guess I just expected to be up and about long before this and I'm frustrated that my body is not cooperating with my mind. Anyone experiencing these things, I would really appreciate some input.

Becky
TAH with ovaries removed 5/2/05. Needed two units of blood 1 day post-op to compensate for internal bleeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 07:31 PM

I'm 6 wks & 2 days and I am still very sore. My belly still swells a ton and i wipe out very easily. I still cannot sit in a normal chair in a normal position for very long. I, like you, thought I'd be much better by now. I'm tired of feeling this way!
Unread 06-02-2005, 07:33 PM

I am also at 4 weeks and feel exactly the same. I cannot believe this belly, it's not too bad when I get up, but by late afternoon I look about 6 months pregnant, and my belly is sore and tender to the touch. I swell up even when I do nothing but walk around the house, but it's worse when I do too much. And I am using my swelly belly band off and on all day.

I was worried that something had prolapsed because of the pressure and discomfort in my lower tummy, but it seems to be normal discomfort for the sugery we have had. I talked to several people who have had TAH who reminded me that EVERYTHING inside us is swollen, even our vaginas, so no wonder we're uncomfortable. I have to keep reminding myself this was major surgery.

Maybe you could get your dr. to add another couple of weeks to your recovery time. I am so not looking forward to going back to work and sitting.

hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
It's only been a month.

I had my operation a day after you. I can't make it through the day without a nap. If I cook a full meal and then clean up, I'm wiped out and need a 3 hour nap.
And I can't even think about going back to work yet.
If I overdo it one day, I just spend the next day on the couch or in my bed watching tv. ( Thankfully my boys can make their own pbj sandwiches and know how to run the microwave.)
You even had a some complications to deal with, so your recovery may take you longer. Talk to your doctor at your check up. ( Mine's next week.) You may need more time for recovery. If you can financially afford more time, I'd go for it.

Are you getting the rest you need? Are you taking your vitamins and iron? Are you walking around a bit every day?
I notice my belly hurts and swells more when I am constipated or if I have been walking or standing for too long.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register