Scared of potential outbreak after surgery!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of potential outbreak after surgery!!!!! Scared of potential outbreak after surgery!!!!!

Unread 12-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Scared of potential outbreak after surgery!!!!!

Hi sisters- This is quite embarrassing....after my last surgery in 2000 for endometriosis something strange and scary happened to me. I developed a coating of skin of some sort on my tongue and couldn't figure out what it was! Went to ER 2 days post op and they did tests for STD's on me, mainly for herpes. It came back inconclusive. Ive never had any kind of outbreak since, but I am concerned now that I am having surgery again. Later I found out that the "man" I was dating was cheating on me. Has anyone out there had an outbreak after surgery????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Re: Scared of potential outbreak after surgery!!!!!

I wonder if you had oral thrush? It's a fungal condition that I've seen happen to other women post op. This may be explained by the antibiotics we get during surgery which can kill off healthy bacterial flora in the mouth, leading to thrush.

Always best to discuss these concerns with your doctor. A probiotic supplement may be beneficial for you.
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Yep. I had thrush after my last surgery. No biggie. Ask for nystatin swish and swallow if it happens again. Also, I'd let the pre-op team, anesthesiologist, and your doctor know ahead of time. Better to give them a head's up just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2013, 02:53 AM

Thanks ladies!!! I will definitely talk to the surgeon....feeling much less anxious!
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:05 AM

Sounds like thrush to me... I am 8 days post op and am working on getting rid of it now :/
Unread 12-27-2013, 01:47 PM

Thank you Fflower7....I've been thinking about this today and its not thrush. This skin was like a thick, grayish pink color and I remember eating a piece of bread and it stuck to my tongue and when I tried to pull it off, THIS THICK SKIN COATING CAME OFF WITH IT!!! Just a small piece but it started bleeding (obviously) and that's when I went to the ER. Thrush is white, right? Ive gotten it from using my 2 asthma inhalers.
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:49 PM

Not always. Mine was beige and grey with patches of pink tongue. I would go to a regular doctor... The docs at the ER like to give you a worst case and scare you!!! Mine did have a very raw spot on it too. Thrush still sounds possible to me! But see your GYN or regular Doctor, ER docs are not usually the best. Maybe even a med clinic would be better
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Good luck with your operation
Unread 12-28-2013, 03:35 AM

Really?? I think you're right!! I did get scared when they couldn't give me a definitive answer that day and just threw out the word "herpes". I will see my gyn or primary doc for sure if something like this happens this time!! And thanks for the good luck wishes!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register