When should I start driving? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When should I start driving? When should I start driving?

Unread 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
When should I start driving?

I am 2 weeks post op and am beginning to feel better. I helped my dd sew some curtains for her room yesterday. (ok, so I sat on the couch and gestured and she did all the work, but I'm counting it!) I also made it to evening service tonight because I am directing the church's christmas play.
Anyway, I had to have my ds drive me because my dh and dd were at a Pittsburgh Steelers game, and dh told me it was too soon to drive myself. When did some of you regain your independence? I am going stir crazy- honestly- if I could just drive up to the local gas station to get a dt coke, I think I'd feel better. These four walls and the beagle staring back at me is starting to take a toll on my sanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2006, 10:52 PM

I drove a very short distance today--my doctor said 10 days I had a LAVH with BSO. I did well my 16 yr old daughter was with me--that was a change in roles!! I have to go back to the Dr on Wed so I am plannning to drive that will be day 13 for me.
Unread 11-12-2006, 10:57 PM

My doc forbade me to drive until two weeks, and my first drive will be straight to his office. LOL! Fortunately, he's less than a couple of miles down the road. Call and ask your doc.

Lena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2006, 06:09 AM

My doctor told me not to drive until I could hit the brakes hard and be okay with it. I still have not driven yet but trying to get the courage. I am gutsy and independant but not stupid!! LOL I may try tomorrow while they are putting hard wood floors in my house! It is so important to just listen to our bodies and take care of ourselves. Learning patience everyday is not easy for me!! Take Care all .....

Unread 11-13-2006, 06:27 AM

My Dr told me when I felt comfortable 5 days post op took my son with me I drove to fruit and vege market went well he lifted anythng heavy. Today 7 days post op I drove 45 ks for a lunch date with a friend and then home again with no problem at all. Im not one to sit and wait I have had no side affects at all. Do what you feel you can if you cant then stop! my advice from Dr.
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:19 AM

My doc's instructions were 3 weeks after LAVH. I also get car sick which seems to have worsened after anesthesia. I am itching to get out, but behaving myself... for now. And my DH is so funny, I have a brand new vehicle that he desperately wants to drive. He won't take it to work because that would mean leaving the manual transmission here in case of an emergency. Like I can drive while puking!
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:25 AM

my doc gave me the ok for driving at my 2 week post op appt....
i know what u mean about going stir crazy....
it felt so good to be out n about even for just a lil while....
ez does it though....don't overdue it....
Unread 11-13-2006, 09:55 AM

I had a TVH. I drove at 3 days. I felt great though. I do not think I am the norm. One should maybe check with your car insurance too.
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:19 AM

Can you stand up right now and stomp your foot on the ground without hesitation?

Pretend they are the brakes and you have to brake to avoid hitting a car.

My Dr. said when I could do this I could drive.
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:53 AM

WOW, I am amazed at how soon some of you drove. I thought I might try tomorrow. It does all depend on how you feel. But my doc said when you start feeling good is when a lot of women over do it and injure themselves so please everyone take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register