3 months & still hurting, why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 months & still hurting, why? 3 months & still hurting, why?

Unread 08-14-2006, 10:05 AM
3 months & still hurting, why?

It has been over 3 months since my total hysterectomy. I hemorrhaged 2 times vaginally. the 2nd time I had an emergency operation to stop the bleeding and blood transfusion. How long should it take for me to feel no pain?

I still have a lot of pain in my abdomen - all over: at my incision up to my rib cage. My stomach is so sensitive/hurts that even clothes brushing against my stomach hurts. I have to hold my ID badge in my hand instead of around my neck because it hurts when it bounces against my stomach. I can't wear pants or even tie a bathrobe belt around my stomach.

I lost 13 lbs after the surgery but my stomach is bloated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2006, 10:48 AM

Your body is still healing.. It can take up to a year or so. I was still very tender at 6 months..I still have some aches and pains here and there. When ever you do any activity.. Your belly will probably feel bloated.. Try to slow down and not do much.. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:40 AM

Hi - sorry you've had extra problems, but the healing at 3 months is still partial. I'm just past 3 months, and I have occasional aches and pains. I had horizontal incision, which I think is a little easier than vertical. But the inside takes a long time to heal. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2006, 09:24 AM
thanks

thanks for the replies. I thought something was wrong with me. the doctors told me I would be 80-90% at 4-6 weeks. So, after 12 weeks I was getting extremely stressed that I would never recover. After reaing this bulleting messages, I see that many others take much longer than 6 weeks to recover.
Unread 08-15-2006, 11:55 AM

I really think the 4-6 weeks is the first stage of recovery when you get past the potential for major complications. But your body is nowhere near healed at that point. Hope you continue to feel better.
Unread 08-15-2006, 02:19 PM

I am almost 12-weeks post-op and get quite discourage about my progress. I did have some complications (hematoma, stent in ureter). I have to see that some move forward faster than others.
I am trying to stay positive being down doesn't help me. So I have my cry, blow my nose and try to move forward.
Here's a We're going to get there.
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Hey Sisters- If they had told us that it was going to be this rough...would we have believed them? That's probably why they never told us how it was going to be.I only heard the usually 6 to 8 weeks of healing from my doctor prior to surgery. It's only after surgery he tells me healing time is up to a year. Of course if he had told me this before, I would not have believed him. You just think because we are women and have endured so much pain and are basically tough humans, who bounce back with everything, that we would have bounced back ever so quickly with this.Surprise, surprise. How I have become so very humble.....Thank goodness for all the support from all of our sisters..don't know what i would have done without all of you.
Big Hugs for all.
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:19 PM

Bonjour, sorry to hear that you have had some problems. Hope you are feeling better soon. I'm at about 4 months and can totally relate to the sensitivity that you are feeling in your abdomen. I had the same problem with my ID badge. I don't feel it as much as I did two months ago, so it will get better. Of course, we are all on our own time schedule for recovery--some of us take a little longer than others. I still feel the soreness, sensitivity and swelly belly. I hope it goes away soon for all of us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register