Nausea??!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Nausea??!!

I'm 5 days post-op DVH and feel nauseous all the time. I stopped taking my pain meds yesterday because I thought that was making me sick. My bowels moved this morning for the first time and that was extremely painful! But the nausea bothers me the most. I am trying to eat but don't feel like I can. Had a piece of toast this morning and am going to try and eat some chicken soup this afternoon. Is anyone else experiencing nausea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Re: Nausea??!!

Nonna, have you been nauseous since you came out of surgery or did the nausea develop afterwards? Pain meds can definitely make you nauseous so if you're managing the pain and can lessen them or go off them and take something OTC instead, that will likely help. As you are still having nausea 5 days post-surgery, I would call your doctor just to let them know. They can also prescribe something to help you quickly with the nausea. I hope you feel better asap!!!

Just wanted to edit to note that my mom could not tolerate percocet for a surgery she had last summer and her doctor switched her to a new drug that is not well known called Nucynta. IHer nurse said it's incredible as it's very well tolerated where so many other pain drugs are not. It's not the strength of percocet but is still very helpful with pain - Within hours of switching to that, my mom's nausea went away and she was eating fine. Depending on where your pain level is, might be worth asking your doc about.
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM

I was nauseous from the anesthesia, so they sent me home with anti nausea pills. Luckily I haven't needed them. Ask for regalin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks Carolinagrl. I have put in a call to my doctor and they are supposed to call me back. The nausea has been off and on, not constant but enough to really bother me. I was on Hydrocodon for pain but stopped taking that yesterday even tho I was still in pain. Maybe they can give me something I can tolerate more and something for nausea. Thanks for your advice.
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

At various times when I have been on pain meds, I have found myself very nauseous, even after I've stopped taking them - the residual effects of those suckers can be brutal. One thing I found that helped TREMENDOUSLY was peppermint oil. In the states, you can buy this in capsules - one of the products is called "Pepogest" and you can find it in the vitamin/herb section of the pharmacy. The capsules will make you fell "minty" on the inside...your intestines will feel "cool" - it's an odd sensation, but not unpleasant,and it totally helps with the nausea. I drink peppermint tea as well because it's so soothing to my stomach. No contraindications that I know of - none of my doctors have ever objected to my using it.

hope you feel better!
Pam
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM

i had my tah one week ago today ,this is the first day i haven't felt any nausea.Before today i could barely stand the thought of food and when i did eat i was scared i would vomit which i did not want to do!today i feel hungry and not sick.. Hope it goes away quickly for you!
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I ate some chicken soup and so far feel ok. I will try the peppermint.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register