surgery in the afternoon? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in the afternoon? surgery in the afternoon?

Unread 09-24-2004, 10:45 AM
surgery in the afternoon?

Hi all,
I had my surgery on Monday. It was originally scheduled for 2:00PM, but they started to run behind so I had to sit in the waiting room for 2 hours before they could get me into pre-op. It was 4:30 when my surgery finally statrted. I normally can't survive the day without a Diet Coke, and I hadn't eaten anything solid for 2 days prior to this (clear liquid diet). To say I was starving and grumpy is an understatement. I also smoke and hadn't been able to have a cigarette for 24 hours prior ot durgery, so I'm surprised that I didn't go on a homicidal rampage by the time everything finally got going LOL My first food came the morning after surgery (broth, etc.) and even then I wasn't to hungry because of the anesthesia.

Definitely check and see if you can have something to drink at some point. The dry mouth is tough to deal with that late in the day. The food issue should be OK because once they give you drugs to relax you before surgery, food will be the last thing on your mind.

Good luck to all of you and you will be in my thoughts.

Cheers,
Angela.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 10:49 AM

Angela, I dont even want to think about not being able to smoke. NO CAFFINE AND NO NICOTINE are gonna be my undoing. that is why I told the OB that I wanted drugs LOL. I will be one MEAN ladie that morning (I also mite be sick to my stomach from nerves, it has happened before )
missy
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:01 AM

I am using this opprutunity to quit smoking. I figure 3 days in the hospital, with lots of drugs will help me kick the habit. Then at home I won't be able to drive to go get some. I'm taking Wellbutrin right now. But right now I've been smoking like a crazy woman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 11:18 AM

Hi Missy and monalott,
My doc gave me nicotine patches while I was in the hospitall, and it helped ALOT, especially once the hard core anesthesia wore off and the cravings began. Check with your doc and see if this may be an option for you. The last thing you need to be dealing with in recovery is nicotine fits!! Take care!

Angela
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:25 AM

NO you will not get coffee, my surgery was at 2:30, actually went to sleep at 3:15 and by the time I woke up and ate anything was 48 hours and I have Hypoglycemia, dont freek, you will make it alright, just think of the weight you will loose. The hunger pains are kinda hidden by the nerves but I promise you wont care, ice chips will look real good to you when your coherent enough to know what they are and when you wake up the next morning they will have something there for you, lovely oatmeal!!!Hugs, D
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:26 AM

That's my plan...to get a patch when I get there.
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:32 AM

Please dont hate me girls but I forgot to add Yippee I am so happy to be free from back pain and pain pain but after reading all your replies I wish I could tell you how happy I am to be smoke and coffee free, these were my biggest bondages and the cigarettes girls will kill you so much quicker that any ol surgery, thats what you all need to be nervous about, the surgery is a piece of cake, the cigarettes killed my father, aunt and now my cousin is diagnosed with the dreaded lung c, so dont be nervous about the surgery it will give your lungs a well deserved love break, sorry to lecture, just cant understand why people are nervous about surgery (I almost died of nerves) and not about what cigarettes are doing to them, baffles me Dont hate the messager, Hugs, Princess D I am truly free!!!Except I cannot zip my pants!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:37 AM

I am so glad to hear you kicked your habits and that your recovery is going good. I am so looking forward to next Friday I can't stand it. NO MORE PAIN!!!!!!Mona
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:51 AM

Mona, you are going to be so happy...I cant tell you how exciting to wake up and go to sleep with no more back pain, no pain period, its like being reborn with a new body, I love not having to get up 5 times a night to go pee, the whole thing is one big winner, I promise you will be so glad when this is over, try to get to pick out your own food requests on the hospital menu, thats cool fun!!!!Let me know how you are, I realize how you feel, there is nobody at hystersisters with more fear and panic than me I am sure of it, but I would do it over everyday this week the same if I knew I would feel the way I do now.. the hardest part is what you are going through now...its nothing, nothing, no big deal, the second hardest is feeling like a prisoner in your own home when you know you have to be here and rest, ( you might love that part) I had great intentions of reading, puzzles, etc, etc, and all I do is watch TV but I do walk more and more everyday and drink tons of fluid. I promise you with all I am that you will be just fine and will be helping others by saying the same thing soon. Love and Hugs, Princess D
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:53 AM
smoking

I too am quitting smoking when I'm in the hospital I can't wait to break that **** nicotine chain. I think though that the patch should be a gift from the tobacco companies. I've stocked up on patches so now because of the money I've spent, I've got to do it! Good luck to all my other soon to be tobacco free ladies. Maggie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register