LAVH Anyone else have bad experiences with nurses in hospital? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else have bad experiences with nurses in hospital? Anyone else have bad experiences with nurses in hospital?

Unread 12-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Re: Anyone else have bad experiences with nurses in hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornACrone View Post
On the whole, my nurses were great, but I am family to one of my surgeons, and I would be surprised if that didn't influence things at least a bit.

The one uninterested nurse who felt free to mess with my cath TO MY GREAT DISCOMFORT AND DISPLEASURE however ... was also a night nurse. Makes me wonder if the night nurses aren't somehow banished to that shift as punishment or something.
I wondered that too because they had such horrible attitudes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Hi gals, I am an RN. It always makes me sad to hear that patients have bad experiences with nurses, but, it happens. No, nurses aren't on night shift as punishment, but, sadly, I have heard and watched many go to night shifts. Night shifts are slower, quiter, less stressful. Sometimes nurses just don't want to deal with people, yes, they say it out loud, unbelievable! It is sad but true. I am sorry you had a terrible experience, mine was very good. I typically don't tell my caregivers I am a nurse, it isn't always the best thing to have them find out you or a family is in the medical/nursing profession, best to keep it quiet. The bonus I have is that if and when I encounter a problem I know where to go and will not hesitate for a second to remedy the situation immediately. Perhaps a call to the units nursing director is in order when you are feeling better or an honest response to a surgery regarding your stay if the opportunity arises. Best wishes for a happier, easier recovery.
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM

My hospital stay after my hyster I had fantastic nurses but 10 days before when I was admitted for pain control for 2 nights? No. One night I waited TWO HOURS literally bawling my eyes out for some pain relief. I was sobbing and in more pain than I had ever been but they had gotten a new admit so they couldn't help me apparently. The charge nurse did then come in and try to make it better and I told him that as long as I got my pain meds on a schedule I would be fine. It got better after that but man...I've had several hospital stays and this was the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2013, 11:00 PM

I just had my surgery on the 3rd. I was cut from the belly button down and was given a slight muscle tuck due to a previous Dr's bad work. I was already on morphine and percocet beforehand. I will NEVER have inpatient surgery at that hospital EVER again.
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM

hello my surgery was also Dec 12th ,,the night shift nurse were just awful as if I was intruding on their time. The tech was really awful. I had an issue with voiding. She accused me of rushing it and told me to just sit there. I had already been on the pot for twenty minutes and was in much pain. I explained to her I had a hysterectomy, she the proceeds to lift up my gown for an bandages were an incision would have been. I told her I had TVH she replied hum that's must be fancy when did they start that. I was so irate I called for the head nurse. She came and apologize for the tech's actions. It just got worse from the there. The nurse then proceed to give me another catheter but keep using the wrong size.. IT took 4 nurse to finally get it wright and 3 hours..They were truly the worse!
Unread 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM

I only stayed one night and that was enough for me !!!!I got up in my room about 3 pm and I received no supper o.k no biggy I was tired anyway .DH rang for nurse to go to the bathroom asked for help It was a no show I got up to go to the bathroom on my shaky legs .Nurse came put those leg boots on me for clot's at 11pm or so got up to go the bathroom and she took them off .She left I got back in the bed myself I rang and asked for pain med told me I couldn't have nothing till 6am I had nothing prior for pain As hubby told me I had to wait till 11pm .I did go off to sleep till 3 am rang again got the nasty nurse told me ok never shower up .My nurse was not there for me and the day time nurse was a doll I told her about the nasty nurse she said oh honey you could have med. at 11 pm and why don't you have your boots on I said she never came back in to do it so I felt I didn't need them .I got up went to the bathroom my self so I was done when the Dr. came in I told her I wanted to go home she looked at me asked about my blood pressure it was good I was gone with in a 1 hr.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Yep, me, big time! I stayed 4 days and everything was really great until I got back to my room. I had to constantly beg and wait for pain meds. One time I waited for 4 hours! I didn't feel like arguing and didn't say much but I am really glad that I am home now.
One big problem for me was that I had fainting problems all the time in the hospital - now I found out that it was from the pain meds. My mom told me now (!) that I had problems with exactly that stuff before, which I forgot.
The one awful nurse (young, pretty, arrogant ****) even put brown band-aids on my venous catheter which I am allergic against...arrrrrgh! My doc didn't leave clear instruction for the nurses so they complained a lot that they didn't know my doc and wouldn't know how he wanted things handled. Really strange behaviour.
Well, this is all behind me and before my next sugery I will make sure that my doc talks to them more and that I wear my extra strength armour to being able to fight for my rights
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM

I lied about passing gas since I desperately wanted out of there. I hadn't yet but I couldn't stay one more day. I am glad I didn't pay for that one.
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM

I am so sorry that your experience with the nursing care was so awful. I was in the hospital overnight and had very kind and capable nurses...the only negative was the nurse on the night shift gave me Percoset on an empty stomach and I had a HORRIBLE reaction...it was like a bomb went off inside me...I have never been so nauseous in my life...I couldn't lie down because my head would swim...the only relief was to sit on the side of the bed...the first anti-nausea med they gave me didn't work...when they got ready to put the second anti-nausea med in the IV someone realized something was wrong with the IV and then I could tell there was a flurry of activity around me and my IV was taken out...I had to wait what seemed like an eternity to finally get that 2nd anti-nausea med. This whole time I am sitting on the side of the bed wishing I could throw up to get some relief...if there hadn't been so many nurses around I probably would have gagged myself to throw up:-) Finally the charge nurse came in to sit with me till the med kicked in and she told me she was glad that I had needed the anti-nausea because they then realized the problem with the IV...she called it a "near-miss"...the nurse who had given me the Percoset on an empty stomach came in and apologized to me...she felt so bad...I told her it was okay as she had been so sweet to me during the night and it wasn't intentional...and maybe because of the IV problem it actually worked in my favor...but I just wanted to die from that nausea...it is scary to be in the hospital because as many controls as they have and as well-intentioned as everyone is, mistakes do get made. But for the most part I was pleased with the nursing care...I hope if you ever have to have hospital care again that your experience is positive...prayers coming your way.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:36 PM

My first nurse upon arriving for surgery was very nasty and rude. My surgery was scheduled for 12 and was told it was delayed. At this point I was already having a anxiety attack and they were doing nothing to help me with that. I did have my meds with me, but she told me I was not able to take them. Then she laughed saying "you can't even go out and smoke"! Really! So I told her I was glad she found this to be a joke and I wasn't waiting any longer! Shortly after they moved me to the holding area, which was one big room that all patients go to before going into the surgery room. My nurse there was nice. What upset me there was, it was one big open room and you could hear the other doctors talking with the patients and what they were having done and so on! To me that was a huge hippa violation! Then here I am at 3:10pm still waiting to go into surgery and I freaked out on my doctor telling her about the first nurse, listening to everyone else's procedures, my anxiety not being addressed and the time I had waited. I wasn't a happy girl! My surgery was 3 1/2 hours and then into recovery. My nurse there was excellent and then the nurse I had when I got to my room was very nice even though I was only there for a couple of hours and then released. I work for the hospital where my surgery was done and I was not impressed! The first nurse got me going and I think I just couldn't get passed that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register