pain management, pre-op hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain management,  pre-op hysterectomy pain management, pre-op hysterectomy

Unread 08-08-2014, 12:34 PM
pain management, pre-op hysterectomy

So I'm currently awaiting approval from insurance for my hysterectomy. I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, and pelvic congestion syndrome.
I'm just wondering, what experiences do others have with pain management before surgery? I've been in pain for years, with it really getting bad the past few months. My PCP and gyno have pretty much left me fending for myself as far as pain management goes. Gyno office refuses to take over or prescribe anything, expects my PCP to do it, but PCP isn't helping me adequately manage the pain. This morning, my gyno's office told me to go to the e.r. for pain management.
I really just don't understand. They KNOW I'm in pain, it's well documented how badly these conditions hurt, and yet no one will help.
I'm terrified about what kind of pain relief I'll be offered after surgery, as well.
Has anyone else had trouble like this? I've tried talking to both doctors about it. Nothing comes of it. I'm stuck trying to care for my home and 4 kids while in constant, near debilitating pain. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Re: pain management, pre-op hysterectomy

That's terrible, Jess. I did not have the same problem, but if I were in your shoes I would be raising cain. Have you looked at finding another doctor who will cater to your needs? You definitely will want *something* post-op and preferably before.
Unread 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM

I'm so sorry you are hurting !! Pre op I was taking Norco at night and Tylenol during the day . I couldn't take the Ibuprofen any more. Does heat help ? Thermapack that stick to your skin are supposed to be amazing and last for 6-7 hrs . I put hot hands in my pockets last spring, they helped.

Post op I have had easily managable pain. I haven't taken a narcotic since the recovery room. I'm 18 days Post op ....just Ibuprofen and Tylenol .

Prayers for better days !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessinfinity3 View Post
So I'm currently awaiting approval from insurance for my hysterectomy. I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, and pelvic congestion syndrome.
I'm just wondering, what experiences do others have with pain management before surgery? I've been in pain for years, with it really getting bad the past few months. My PCP and gyno have pretty much left me fending for myself as far as pain management goes. Gyno office refuses to take over or prescribe anything, expects my PCP to do it, but PCP isn't helping me adequately manage the pain. This morning, my gyno's office told me to go to the e.r. for pain management.
I really just don't understand. They KNOW I'm in pain, it's well documented how badly these conditions hurt, and yet no one will help.
I'm terrified about what kind of pain relief I'll be offered after surgery, as well.
Has anyone else had trouble like this? I've tried talking to both doctors about it. Nothing comes of it. I'm stuck trying to care for my home and 4 kids while in constant, near debilitating pain. What gives?
Jess -- I'm in Portland, too, and have the same diagnosis! Lately I've had lots of cramping and because my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday I can pretty much only take Tylenol, which doesn't help The heating pad has been my best friend this week, but a few months ago I really appreciated having a few leftover hydrocodone (from a long-healed burn) to take for the pain.

I won't be afraid to ask for painkillers after surgery, but have no idea how my GYN normally handles pain med requests. I get the feeling that often docs want to "pass the buck" and just not deal with being responsible for prescribing narcotics (or stimulants, or sedatives) -- perhaps drug seekers ruin it for those of us that really need/benefit from medication?
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:25 PM

That sucks that they won't give you anything for the pain. My PCP doesn't give or prescribe pain meds either. I never bothered to ask why. But hopefully you find something that will bring you some relief soon.
Unread 08-09-2014, 10:03 PM

A good Dr can make or break your pain management. I'm not sure how they decide what is legitimate pain vs pain the think can be controlled just by Advil. It seems that a lot of Drs have the mentality that they don't want to be the one responsible for giving out pain scripts. It's even worse when you go to the ER. This has been a source of frustration of mine for a long time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register