Surgery in a few days and daughter getting married | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in a few days and daughter getting married Surgery in a few days and daughter getting married

Unread 06-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Surgery in a few days and daughter getting married

Help! I have surgery in a few days and don't know if I am really ready! I don't know if I have asked enough questions and know what to expect. I have read books etc. but I am now freaking out. My periods have always been horrible (birth of children much easier) When the doctor said go ahead with hysterectomy for quality of life--I have fibroids, cysts, heavy bleeding etc. I thought I was happy. Now a few days from reality and I am getting tense and nervous. Also my daughter's wedding is July 10 surgery June 16. I don't know if I can do this but I have a pretty determined mindset. Mind over matter type attitude. Also is it normal to become emotional etc. I know I am asking too many questions but I am only 44. Will this total hysterectomy throw me into a mental mess of emotions and I wack out of everyone? Help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2004, 10:01 AM

I hope I can be of help to you. I cancelled my last scheduled surgery date in April. I was becoming a wreck the last day or two before surgery.
In some ways I'm glad I cancelled. My DS was having lots of school events etc the following week after scheduled surgery. This is his last year of elementary school and I didn't want to miss his play, talent show and some other things. he is my only child so it really was important to me. these events were scheduled the day afer and week after my surgery. I think from reading other posts after acouple of weeks peop;e seem to be going out.
Now that I look back on things and I have been on this site for a few months sometimes I wish I had it all behind me.
I have read posts afterwards from people who had their surgery the day I was to have mine and they all seem so much better now and say it wasn't nearly as bad as they thought it was going to be etc.
My new date is July 6th. Still wondering if I can keep it together before then. Dh thinks I won't and was so worried about me the few days before my last scheduled date. I was freaking out.
I think I can do this in July and am trying to keep a positive attitude.
Good luck!
Unread 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM

Thanks for you help. I am thinking that I will be okay as soon as it is over. I am a worry wart most of the time. By the time you have your surgery I will be there to support you with great post-op tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM

hi there
I know the anxiety of the surgary. Maybe with me having a weeks notice as my surgary was bumped up kept me from stewing over this. Are you keeping your ovaries? If you are that will help balance things out after the ovaries wake up. A huge tip to help prepare for surgary. Prepare as much as possible by buying loose fitting dresses, shorts etc, cook up some food and freeze it as you won't be able to do much those first few weeks. Clean as much as possible as you won't be able to vacum or mop or sweep. Take care of personal business as well. Arrange for some help as you will need it. I am now 14 weeks post op tomorrow. I feel so good now that I am past the six weeks initial recovery. Try to set up a room that has a comfy bed,tv, books, radio, etc as you will be there a lot at least for the first two weeks or better depending on how you feel. Grocery shop ahead of time for things you need as you won't be able to do this for a bit and if you dh then he can do some. I hope these tips help. Buy yourself a heating pad and buy those ice gel packs that will help with the pain and swelling.
Now for the one with anxiety about the surgary in july and cancled in april. Maybe your dr can prescribe you some valium to help ease the anxiety the few nights before. You will do this and able to do this as the fear is the worst of this whole thing. After initial recovery you will feel so much better. Have more energy in some ways even though fatigue still hits me. Hang in there and try to go thru this as this is beneficial to your health.
take care
teresa
a big hug to both of you on your upcoming surgary!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register