My hair !!!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My hair !!!!!!!!! My hair !!!!!!!!!

Unread 06-13-2006, 12:35 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

I have noticed since I my surg (4 weeks tommorrow) that everytime I wash my hair it gets more and more dry & frizzy. I don't wash it that often 1x/week because it has too hard for me just to dry it. I have long hair midway down my back, straight that was one lenght. Now it looks as if i stuck my finger in a socket, its breaking alsmost like straw. If it is nice out I will let it dry naturally, but today I blow dried it. I put a spray shine in it . What a waste.

Has this happend to anyone else? I still have my overies. Is it hormonal?

Its bad enough we have to feel bad but do we have to look bad too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the hair, have you tried to put conditioner in a bottle with water and spritz on your hair before you comb it?? Works for me.
Unread 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

Hair changes can be hormonal. Anesthesia and stress can also affect your hair. One of the first changes I noticed when I started into early ovarian failure was that my hair, always straight as a board, started getting curly and frizzy. The frizz has gotten better with the ERT, but the curl remains. I found Fructis Free and Shine very helpful with controlling the frizz. I always thought I wanted curly hair but now that I have it I can't do anything with it. Hope it's just the anesthesia for you and your hair is back to normal soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 12:57 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

I feel ya hon! I was just telling my mom last night that I need to get some hot oil for my hair. One thing that has helped is putting a bit of conditioner in after washing it. A hair dresser suggested this to me during a bad winter. After washing/rinsing, conditioning/rinsing I put a dab of conditioner back in my hair and leave it in. It takes a few days, but it DOES help. Also air drying my help. Or if you have to use the hairdryer, use it on the cool setting once you have the bulk of the moisture gone.
Unread 06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

Mine is not dry and frizzy, but it is curling up from the hormones (I think, although it could be the surgery stress and anesthesia) more than ever. I have taken to putting a quarter size dot of olive oil to get it to basically behave, because I cannot style it the way it is after washing and drying. I learned this from a woman who has truly Afrikaan hair. What a wonderful treatment, and it is great for the scalp too!
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I will have to try some of these remedies. I do use conditioner though and leave it in for several minutes. I am just worried with all the breakage that I am going to have to cut it. I only had short hair twice in my lifetime and it looks awful on me.

People use to envy my hair, I guess they'll just have to envy me being periodless for now at least until I can get my hair back on track. he he
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:25 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

I make handmade soap, lotions and other toiletries and I post and read a lot on a soapmaking board. Some time ago, a cosmetic chemist posted an article about how coconut oil is excellent for the hair. Walmart used to carry coconut oil around here but if you can't find it there, try a health food store. A small jar will last a long time and it's better than buying hot oil treatments.

Coconut oil is in a semi-solid form and melts at either 76 or 92 degrees - depending on which type you get. All you need to do is melt some of the coconut oil in a small cup (in the microwaver) and apply it to your hair with your hands. I usually make sure the ends are really soaked. Leave it in for as long as you can - a half hour or an hour is even better. Make sure you wash it all out with your shampoo. Condition afterwards. You don't have to do this every day, maybe once a week, or twice if your hair is really dry.
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:29 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

cimbah, that sounds like a great idea! I'll give that a shot before the hotoil. I really don't like that stuff because of how hot you have to get it (doesn't that hurt hair??) but with as dry as it is...it's either fix it or cut it.
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:07 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

went to my hairdresser a few days back and he said that anesthesia wrecks the hair for a while---that for many people it's a dry-frizzy effect, for nearly everybody a falling-out, and for some a change from straight to curl or curl to straight, and even one of his clients' hair went lighter at the roots for a while, and then back--a loss of pigment!! I am glad all i got was the falling out and the frizzy-dry. He said to wash less, condition well, trim ends, don't use heat unless absoutely necessary. Mine already looks better at 7 weeks than it did at 4 weeks. But it's not back to normal yet. (I had two surgeries in a row, though, so YMMV.)
Anne
Unread 06-13-2006, 10:42 PM
My hair !!!!!!!!!

My hair has always been very curly, frizzy, and crazy my whole life! It looks shoulder length, but when the curls are pulled down my hair reaches below the middle back. My main goal after washing is to comb out all the knots, then just leave it alone until the next washing. I wash my hair at least 3-5 times a week. The current comb-thru conditioner stuff that I am using is "Loreal VIVE Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum." Believe me, I have tried everything and this seems to work well for me now. Products and hair changes, so I have to try other things too, but for now this stuff seems to do the trick. And, it can be used sparingly and a bottle of it does last a long time. I also use tons of rinse off conditioner after I shampoo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register