Input on my Dr's visit needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Input on my Dr's visit needed Input on my Dr's visit needed

Unread 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Input on my Dr's visit needed

Hello ladies. I am now I think 10 weeks PO, but when I went to see my Doc around the 6 week mark he didn't do an internal exam, just poked around and looked at my incision. I told him that my right side is still bothering me and he said "oh it will be normal to have some pain now and then" (to that effect). I proceeded to tell him that I had foul odor and he just shook it off and said "oh I can give you a cream for that". Then he told me to have a nice Christmas and come back in six months I didn't have any signs of a yeast infection at the time I told him, but about two days after using the MetroGel boy did I have a discharge. I've always been prone to yeast infections but I've never seen something like that before! It also hurts terrible to be with DH. It isn't horrible like before but in checking I still see some discharge. Is it normal NOT to have an internal exam? Can the infection spread to something bigger? I'm a little confused on what to do here, help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM

I think it's normal to do an exam although I have seen posts where they didn't. I saw the Uro/Gyn at 3 weeks and he did an internal then and I know when I go back at the 6 week mark I have another one. Now my hysterectomy was TVH so maybe he needed to check stitches etc. I think since you have concerns and pain, that you need to at least call and ask. I hate getting the brush off/pat on the head. My normally really good Gyn is getting that way and I have to say that I am sort of glad that I have been somewhat handed off to the Uro/Gyn. He takes time, explains things and somehow manages to talk about sex in such a normal way that I am comfortable. He has already said that there might be some estrogen creams etc that we may have to use if things are uncomfortable etc. So, I would definitely call and if you get the blow off, look for a doctor who will listen.
Unread 01-03-2007, 08:11 AM

I'm sorry your dr has left you in such an awkward position. It seems most drs do an internal exam. I know mine did, both at two weeks and at six weeks. There are some women who report no exam.
The discomfort you have with sex is a valid concern that I feel your dr should address for you. I don't see how he would be able to know what would cause that if he doesn't examine you. I think you should call with your concerns and ask to be seen. If he persists with not examining you you need to tell him your concerns with that. I know I would look for a dr who was serious about taking care of me if mine were do that.
Some women feel it's something in their heads or they have done something wrong if they question their dr. I hope you can get past that if it's a problem. You're paying for a service. You aren't 'bothering' him or inconveniencing him in anyway. The way I see it this is his job and he should do it with consideration and care for each patient's concerns. If a dr doesn't feel this way about his/her job then we need to look elsewhere for our care.
I hope yours will take the time with you and help you with your concerns. Keep us posted.
s', Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register