TLH 3 Weeks Post Hysterectomy: Period (Cramps and Discharge) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 Weeks Post Hysterectomy: Period (Cramps and Discharge) 3 Weeks Post Hysterectomy: Period (Cramps and Discharge)

Unread 12-28-2015, 11:40 PM
3 Weeks Post Hysterectomy: Period (Cramps and Discharge)

I've read through several posts trying to find answers. This site is great for support!

My uterus, tubes, and cervix were removed- and I have both ovaries.

This week would've been my time of month. And I'm feeling it... cramping, headache, and aching jelly legs (my usual symptoms). During these last 3 weeks, I've had no discharge other than day 1. Until yesterday, a thick dark brown blood messed my undies overnight. It has not done so again but every time I pee and wipe, it's there.

I'm also having a stabbing pain in my nether regions... it alternates betqeen my vagina and rectum. Wondering if this is normal or if I should call my doctor's office in the morning.

I've also had a stabbing burning pain on the backside of my knee where my leg folds since day one. Having had 4 previous back surgeries, I am hoping this TLH did not cause any further issues with my lower lumbar.

Anyone else have dark brown discharge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2015, 12:24 AM
Re: 3 Weeks: Period (Cramps and Discharge)

The stabbing vaginal pain - for weeks when I walked i felt like someone with spikes on was using my vagina for a trampoline! It is mostly gone except when my foot gets out of adjustment. Yes, my foot. There are nerves in the heel that goes to the pelvic area. The pain was a combo of healing, dryness, and nerves.

the position they put us in for the surgery is hard on the lower back and hips. I couldn't wait until I could get to the chiropractor for an adjustment. Helped the small of my back a whole lot.

As for the spotting, cramping, etc - that could be related to your time of the month. If it gets too bad either bleeding (like a pad in an hour),, run a temp, or are worried don't hesitate to call your doctor. If it is just the spotting then wait until your 'time' passes to see how you are.
Unread 12-29-2015, 07:33 AM

Spotting and cramping are very normal 3 weeks post hysterectomy. I've had them the entire time as have many of the women on our recovery thread. I saw my doctor yesterday and she said its normal. Since you are having new pain, though, you should call your dr to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Re: 3 Weeks Post Hysterectomy: Period (Cramps and Discharge)

I was wondering about this- I am 2 weeks post-op and I started experiencing the symptoms of a period- swollen tender breast, a reddish discharge and small cramping- nothing extreme like i had before but still cramping. So this is normal but how long does it last- i had surgery because of painful endometriosis , I still have my ovaries but uterus, tubes and cervix are gone.
Unread 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM

To NS120915 and Csmith9dk: because you both kept your ovaries, you will continue to have PMS as before. And Csmith9dk, if you kept your cervix, you will continue to have cyclical bleeding/spotting, although not as much as before. The cramping is likely coming from your intestinal tract, because it moves to fill the space left by the uterus, and can be stimulated by the same prostaglandins that would stimulate your periods. Ibuprofen inhibits prostaglandin activity, so ask your doctor about that. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which works by relaxing the involuntary muscles in there; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Best wishes to all of you for your continued recovery!
Unread 01-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Re: 3 Weeks Post Hysterectomy: Period (Cramps and Discharge)

Thank you everyone Glad it's normal!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register