When to go back to work? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to go back to work? When to go back to work?

Unread 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Re: When to go back to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena_AR View Post
By week 3, you should be pain med free and sleeping better. By 4 weeks I was feeling myself but still cautious. I followed the Dr orders exactly and had a great recovery. You will be tired but at week 3 I started walking just 10-20 min a day to build up my stamina. I think that really helped to get out of the house and build up my energy levels.
Thank you! I am now on post op day 6 and have had nothing for pain. Feel tired and dizzy and lower abdominal area and back hurts. I may try some ibuprofen. Just exhausted from getting up and eating breakfast and piddling around. I will keep the brookstick out of my hands and follow orders. I went to walk around the grocery store with my husband yesterday and felt like I did a marathon. Tough for someone who is used to going to the gym three times a week. No pilates for now. No walking dogs. This is tougher than I thought. Thanks for all the support and encouragement. I can do this. One day at a time. This is day six NOT day 28 when I can go back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower737 View Post
I am out for 6 wks. I work with toddlers, but even before my Dr knew my job I was told I would be out for that long. Did Dr say how long you would be off work for?
Bless your heart! I can't imagine working with toddlers with an intact, properly functioning uterus, let alone post hysterectomy. They are balls of pure energy. Your doc says 6 weeks, take six weeks. Hang in there. I am new and only on post op day 6, and it really has made me feel not so alone, this site has. I didn't realize how sad and alone I would feel. It isn't like when I had my rotator cuff surgery--I was out 10 weeks then. Miserable horrible time, but different than this.
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrnredhead View Post
I took almost 4 mos off. My oncologist put me off for 8 weeks, during that time I started radiation and due to the side effects ended up extending my leave. I was out for almost 4 mos. I have a desk job, and went back to work Aug 7 and have been exhausted everyday after work. Hoping to feel better this week, but have an appt with my radiologist, plus my daughter's counselor's appt, and her going back to school this week, I am seeing another week of being exhausted.
You are in my prayers. I am whining about recovering from a robotic davinci hysterectomy! No cancer involved. Hang in there. Take it one day at a time. It is so much easier that way, I have been told anyway. I might actually try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steena View Post
I must say, I do admire your (and the other ladies') work ethic but really, putting your health before your work is not something you should be ashamed of! This is major surgery you've had - as a nurse, you know the risks of returning too early and you won't be any help to your colleagues if you end up worn out or in pain and too exhausted to finish your shift. Listen to your body - you only get to heal from this one time - and be nice to yourself!
Thank-you for the encouraging words. I just feel like crying from the pain and fatigue and dizziness and frustration. It helps to know I am not alone. I will get up and walk around the yard, take some motrin, eat something and rest. And stay in today.......It just doesn't feel like major surgery with four little incisions on my belly. Of course, nobody told me I would be swollen EVERYWHERE, even down there. Really??? I've never had a baby so I didn't realize that, of course, it would be swollen down there after pulling the uterus through it. I thought they would take it from the belly. Found out the day before that was not going to be the case. LOVE being a woman.
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

My doctor has always told me 4-6 weeks off for my davinci surgery (and I have a desk job, though it's very high stress as I'm a department director and lately it's not been uncommon for me to work 10+ hour days). However, my problem is that the nurses in the office who filled out my FMLA paperwork put that I'd be out 2-4 weeks and in talking to them today, they still maintain that "with this type of surgery some women with desk jobs go back at 2 weeks". They're very hesitant to grant me more than 4 but have agreed to speak with my gyn before they write my release to go back to work. I suggested going back at 4 but having my gyn note "part time" for the first week to guarantee I'm not expected to put in 50+ hours. The nurse on the other end didn't sound too enthused though, so not sure where I'll get.

I don't want to put too much pressure on my vaginal cuff and sitting seems to be my most uncomfortable position, probably because I have poor posture and so I squish everything and because a couple of my most sensitive incisions are right in the crease in my tummy above my naval. I am also parenting a 2-year-old grandson at 46 years old so can't just come home after work and seclude myself in my bedroom all evening and turn in early. My husband is awesome, but he can't do 100% of it himself forever. I don't lift the little guy or do any real housework, but I do try and cook and at least be around to entertain him.
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehjaf View Post
Thank-you for the encouraging words. I just feel like crying from the pain and fatigue and dizziness and frustration. It helps to know I am not alone. I will get up and walk around the yard, take some motrin, eat something and rest. And stay in today.......It just doesn't feel like major surgery with four little incisions on my belly. Of course, nobody told me I would be swollen EVERYWHERE, even down there. Really??? I've never had a baby so I didn't realize that, of course, it would be swollen down there after pulling the uterus through it. I thought they would take it from the belly. Found out the day before that was not going to be the case. LOVE being a woman.
It's fun being female alright!

The swelling is not fun and, 7 months post-op, mine is still going strong although finally starting to diminish (I hasten to add that I had two surgeries very close together, with abdominal opening - hope it won't be the same for you!). The pain passed quite quickly, the tiredness took longer, but I promise, it's early days for you, but you'll feel much better soon!
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Visited the dr today. I go back to work next week. Five weeks and one day. I still had some undisolved stitches and swelling. I am getting more and more energy back. I have a desk job at the momemt but eventually will go back to moving computers and printers around. Ithink I will be ready. I will take it slow.
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM

It's really not the nurses call it is your dr's I would speak to the dr about how YOU feel. This recovery is different for everyone regardless of the type. I had DvH and I was out 7 wks! I even tried to go back at 6 but my dr took one look at e at my 6 wk po check and gave me another week
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
When to go back to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDolly2012 View Post
Visited the dr today. I go back to work next week. Five weeks and one day. I still had some undisolved stitches and swelling. I am getting more and more energy back. I have a desk job at the momemt but eventually will go back to moving computers and printers around. Ithink I will be ready. I will take it slow.
Good luck!!! Let us know how you are feeling next week. I hope all goes well.
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM

I'm day # 5 post-op (surgery was last Wednesday) and I have started working today ... office job, working from home this week.

I haven't used the narcotic pain medication since I got home ... physical discomfort is minimal ... I asked my doc for the 3rd time (since I was incredulous) and told me no restrictions (other than sex) after 2 weeks. As in, if I feel up to it, I can run or dive or skydive or anything else.

I can see myself being there for sure. I plan on being back in the office next week. The only part that I'm having a hard time with is the emotional trauma ... and resting at home won't do me any good ... I will actually be more likely to slip into depression if I'm alone with my own thoughts for too long ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register