8 days post-op and having bowel troubles | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 days post-op and having bowel troubles 8 days post-op and having bowel troubles

Unread 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
8 days post-op and having bowel troubles

I am in serious need of help. Like I said, I am 8 days post-op. I had two bowel movements 4 days post-op with the help of a lax that gave me the worst stomach cramps. I haven't had a bm since. I took two stool softeners last night and still nothing. Why aren't my bowels functioning properly? My dr is on vacation so putting a call into him isn't an option right now. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Just remember fiber and water are your friends right now. You sound like me I had two passing after two days and then it was an entire week before I went again. Try adding more fiber and whole grains. Some fresh fruit and vegetables. Even maybe a Fiber supplement. There are clear ones now that you can add to anything. Plus remember to drink lots of water. If you are able to try a little light walking. The gravity and moving may be able to help. Nothing strenuous just try to move around a little bit. Give the stool softners more time. They usually take a couple of days for me. I don't know if you had a bowel prep before the surgery. I did and that is part of the reason it takes a while for things to get going. Plus the intestines get messed around with during the hyst so they are just trying to adjust and also trying to adjust to all of their new space in there. Good luck.
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:05 AM

Fiber, yes. A salad a day with OIL is very important, either flax seed or olive oil best. It creates lubrication, if I may be graphic, here. Cup of strong coffee, lots of water, I agree. Walking a bit every 2 or 3 hours at least. Since you had cramps from the softener, it's possible your mind is giving your body a tough time relaxing. Tell your mind to keep quiet and let your body do its thing! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2006, 11:11 AM

Keeping using the stool softeners. They are more of a maintenance item so aren't magical like a laxative. And laxatives can be terrible so don't go that route!

Just keep drinking water, moving around, and add fiber to your diet. Pistachios always helped me. And remember too that pain meds plug you up!

After my colo-rectal surgery, the doc said 5 days til a BM was as far as he wanted me to wait. At that point, and keep in mind sutured inside and out of a rectum isn't fun at any time especially when you have to poop, anywho... he ordered me to do 2 fleet enemas at home. DO NOT DO THIS without your doc's consent. It was horrible but worked.

Best wishes ~
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:53 AM

I feel your pain from the bottom of my butt!!!!
I had surgery the same day as yourself. Went from nothing, to painfully not being able to go. Made myself bleed and pushed when I was not suppose to but I had to push.... the pain was so bad that sweat was running down my face (swear I thought I was delivering a baby). And ohhh what a tender, bloody bottom that created. And then the movements went to watery runs (probably from soooooo much stuff I took to unbung myself) and the cramps along with the roids just about did me in.
Today, I still am loose but it is better than being bunged. I am eating salad every day, fruit everyday, coffee everyday and taking benefibre in my juice. It seems to be keeping me from clogging up again. And as it stands, I would rather be running than not going at all.
Sorry to hear of your pain... I truly do understand.
CindyGrinz
PS - Your pain meds can do serious damage to your regularity.... they have this magical trick of being able to turn waste material into brown cement.....are you still taking them?
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Hi, I had my surgery 13 days ago and am pooping several times a day. I was consipated a few days out, my doctor said to take MOM, I took it once and have been good since. I dont know if that is a coincidence, but I dont think it hurt either. Mary
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:10 PM

Creeker - I was wondering, did/do you have adeno or endo?
Maybe it's the girls (like myself) that have/had adeno or endo that have more problems with this issue........
IBS frequently accompanies either of the two..... just a thought I had ----- I could very well be way off.
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:44 PM

CindiGrinz I have endo and IBS, bleeding when I have to go a painful number 2. That is a good question!!!
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:42 PM

I sympathise, constipation, wind and swellybelly do not a pretty princess make! I went 2 days after surgery, explosive then nothing for 3 days, I have been home now for 5 days and my bowel almost feels like it has gone to sleep at times! coffee, lots of water and walking and a REALLY good book in the bathroom seem to help.I agree the pain meds and stuff they give you in surgery play havac with your insides. i've heard that the bowel is prone to sulking if it gets disturbed!!!
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Hi - it took me over 2 weeks to end up having somewhat regular BM's. I tried everything - what finally seemed to work was actually eating (I wasn't eating because I wasn't hungry and had no appetite), hot bath to relax, stool softeners, amazing amounts of water, caffeine, and patience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register