Scheduled dVH/RALH "possible" rectocele repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"possible" rectocele repair "possible" rectocele repair

Unread 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
"possible" rectocele repair

Hi All,

I am due to have a dVSH on 10/4/2012. I will also be having a urethral sling for SUI.

I have a grade 3 rectocele that will "possibly" be repaired. This is my confusion. The Doc said that with using the sling to pull up on my cervix, that the rectocele may not need to be repaired because everything may pull back in place. Anyone else have this? I am kind of in the mind set that I want to err on the side of caution so I don't have to go back in for more repairs later.

It took me a long time to decide to do this of many factors. I first went in for the leaking issue. Then I found out about the rectocele and uterine prolapse. I guess the symptoms came on over time and I just attributed them to age. I have always had trouble with BMs and just who do you talk to about these things! UGH!

So anyway, when my doc told me about the rectocele I did some research and found that a lot of things that I was just dealing with as age are likely due to the problems down there.

I knew since my last baby (a 11# 6oz whopper 16 years ago) that my cervix was tilted and interfered with intimacy, but we just learned to deal with it. I think now that I am facing surgery, I am realizing how much I have been compensating.

I think it took me so long to decide because my symptoms don't seem "that bad" compared to many others. I just deal with them. I kinda feel like a whiner by getting it done. I don't leak every day...cuz I don't sneeze everyday. My BM issue has been a lifelong complaint. And DH is very compassionate and sensitive..um...about...hitting bottom. My back aches when I walk too long, so I just sit out when I can. ...this is all just random ramblings, but it helps to type it out.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Re: "possible" rectocele repair

I wish I could provide input, but I do not have experience with this.

Hopefully some one on this site with this experience will see your post and respond.

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM

My doctor told me as well that the repair may not be necessary and she'd play it by ear, so to speak. I ended up with the repair after all and am so thankful. I had a baby much smaller than yours that did a lot of back-end damage somehow. My issues didn't seem so bad until they were fixed and I realized what I let myself put up with.

Your doctor knows what he's doing and I wouldn't panic. Be sure to voice your concerns though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM

I lived with total organ prolapse for 8 months and as time went by it got progressively worse for me. The leaking becme constant especially when lifting or lightly exercising. Sex became painful & almost impossible and it got to the point where I couldn't hold a tampon in my vagina without it being pushed out. I'm young- 45 and very active so a pessary was not an option for me. I had surgery in January ( hysterectomy, repairs & bladder sling). It's the BEST decision I ever made the first few months were painful & a few bumps in the road but I have my quality of life back!! if you are considering the surgery route, seek out a urologist/gynecologist who specialize in bladder gyno issues. Ask a million questions and choose an option that is best for you & your lifestyle..while Internet research is a good tool for information, don't let the stories consume you. There are a lot of horror stories out there but there are also lots of success stories too!! Good luck!!
Unread 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Thank you Marestail, Shutterbug00 and Gilmore7802 for your responses!

I am scheduled for October 4 and not feeling too nervous. I donated a kidney two years ago, and that was a much longer stay. So I figure this can't be as bad.

Gilmore7802- I am 43 and pretty active, too, and actually tried a pessary just to be confident that I tried everything. That was definitely a "no go". With the uterine prolapse, I couldn't get the darn thing unhooked to remove it. It was kind of like a one man wrestling match. :/ Not pretty. lol

One of my big concerns is getting back into my exercise routine once I heal. Do either of you workout? If so, how soon were you back to "normal". I am a bit scared of getting used to being sedentary.
Unread 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Anewcreation- I exercised regularly prior to surgery & belly danced as well. However towards the end it was painful with the prolapse. After surgery I waited 4 months and started my exercising routine slowly: 2x week and very light weights and worked my way back to 4x per week and started my belly dancing again in August. Listen to your body & don't rush. You only get one chance to heal properly. You will get your active life back, it's just a process. best of luck!!!
Unread 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore7802 View Post
Anewcreation- I exercised regularly prior to surgery & belly danced as well. However towards the end it was painful with the prolapse. After surgery I waited 4 months and started my exercising routine slowly: 2x week and very light weights and worked my way back to 4x per week and started my belly dancing again in August. Listen to your body & don't rush. You only get one chance to heal properly. You will get your active life back, it's just a process. best of luck!!!
Ah...good advice. You are right about once chance to heal properly. I will work to keep that in mind. Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register