Anyone else just have LARGE fibroids like me? (no other complaints?) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else just have LARGE fibroids like me?  (no other complaints?) Anyone else just have LARGE fibroids like me? (no other complaints?)

Unread 02-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Re: Anyone else just have LARGE fibroids like me? (no other complaints?)

Wow, Chibana, your story is very encouraging in that I'm on the right path. My problems are a lot like yours were (with the heartburn, too. Took me a while to connect that with the large fibroids!) I know I won't know exactly how wonderful this step is until it's done and over with. They always say that between two possible evils, you'll always want to stick with the evil you already know -- it's familiar. Certainly the surgery is scarier than going status quo, but you have to take the risk to get the possibility of something better, I guess.

I will say that the best thing I did was *not* to roll with the recommendations of the first two doctors I saw. They both wanted to do TAH and said NO ONE else would do laporascopic. Well, guess what? The doctor I found is not only doing laporascopic but DaVinci for me. I'm very glad I didn't listen to the first two men I saw (a habit I learned from being around my **it-talking father) and sought other advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM

I am 38 years old and had a large fibroid that grew very quickly. I did have heavy bleeding with periods starting last year- but I also had the copper IUD so I blamed it on that and got it taken out and the Mirena put in. Never had much in the way of cramping though and the bleeding wasn't anything like what some women on here have dealt with!!!

Around August I started peeing frequently- or having a full bladder but a hard time "letting it go". I felt what I thought was my uterus- I could push on my belly and feel it as if I were pregnant- but it wasn't super noticeable.

Went to OB/GYN for annual in October. He felt the fibroid and ordered an ultrasound. My uterus measured 16 weeks by that point. I was to return in January for follow up U/S to see if it grew. In December I had more frequent urination and felt bigger so I called to get in sooner. U/S measured the same (at which time I thought I was crazy!!! I swear it felt bigger!)! I wasn't dealing with extreme symptoms but they definitely affected my quality of life. We discussed options and I wanted the hyster. I knew I was done having kids and didn't want to take meds that messed with my hormones or do a procedure where the fibroids still had a chance of coming back. He told me he could do it laparoscopically. He estimated the surgery to take 90 minutes. Surgery actually took 3 hours (but he perservered and did not open me up with an abdominal incision- he kept it laparoscopic!!!)- I was right and uterus/fibroid were bigger than the U/S showed! Final report showed it weighed over 2 pounds!

I am so glad I didn't wait longer- I can only imagine how bad things would have gotten had I ignored the symptoms I was dealing with.

Good luck! I am 4 weeks post-op and while I am still recovering, I do NOT regret my decision and see great improvements in my life already! My 7 year old daughter now has to stop to use the restroom more often than I do- and that's how it should be!!!

Amy
LAVH- 1/31/2011
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM

When I was pre-op I was having some of the same thoughts about my fibroids and problems not being as bad as so many others'. It took me many years to come to the decision to get them out.

And like so many others, I am glad I did! My "calcified cantaloupe", other fibroids, and uterus all weighed 4 lbs. I can already see my waist, even with some swelly belly, and I have lost 12 lbs since I weighed myself the morning before surgery. I think we will all be better able to exercise and move our bodies (and have things move better within our bodies too). Not having bladder or rectal pressure has already been such a relief. And I am looking so forward to having pain-free sex...

In case you do end up needing an incision, it is not really so bad. I was scheduled for laparoscopic supracervical, but I had a feeling I would need to be cut. Turns out my ureter passed really close to one of the uterine blood supplies, and they didn't want to take any chances. And my calcified fibroid was tucked up against my sacrum so they needed the room to maneuver. My incision is over 4 inches and is already all closed up and not causing me any pain. I think my internal pain and gas and other issues are no worse than others here who did not have an incision. The overall recovery will take a little longer maybe, but I was walking up and down stairs my first day, and I feel almost ready to drive.

Good luck to you, and happy preparation and recovery!
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsteff View Post
Wow, Chibana, your story is very encouraging in that I'm on the right path. My problems are a lot like yours were (with the heartburn, too. Took me a while to connect that with the large fibroids!) I know I won't know exactly how wonderful this step is until it's done and over with. They always say that between two possible evils, you'll always want to stick with the evil you already know -- it's familiar. Certainly the surgery is scarier than going status quo, but you have to take the risk to get the possibility of something better, I guess.

I will say that the best thing I did was *not* to roll with the recommendations of the first two doctors I saw. They both wanted to do TAH and said NO ONE else would do laporascopic. Well, guess what? The doctor I found is not only doing laporascopic but DaVinci for me. I'm very glad I didn't listen to the first two men I saw (a habit I learned from being around my **it-talking father) and sought other advice.
Stormsteff,
I did end up having a LSH but had an additional 2" abdominal incision where they took out the fibroid and uterus. I never even knew it was there and by the time I left the hospital (w/in 24 hours) the 2" abdominal incision was closed. They took off the steri strips and it had already formed a scab.
For 3 years, I also battled with the idea of having major surgery and the risks that come along with that for a benign tumor but finally realized that there was a real risk of it getting bigger.
I'm very happy with my decision.
I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register