ovarian cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:40 AM
ovarian cyst

Hi,I am scheduled for my pre-op visit on 5/11/04 for a tvh and was wondering if anyone could tell me what my dr meant when he told me the cyst on my left ovary was blood filled.I know he means that it is full of blood,but is this a bad type of cyst to have?I have been experiencing pelvic pain,bladder spasms ,and now bowel problems along with a low back ache. I think I'm turning into a worry nut.lol Thanks again to all the brave sisters out there! jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 05:43 PM
ovarian cyst

Hi,

Sorry you are having pain and so uncomfortable. I am not familiar with blood filled ovarian cysts, but if you go to the top of the page and click on "Resources" and look under Pre-Op, you will find info on ovaries.

I hope this helps you find out more info.

s
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Ovarian Cyst

I see on your profile you only have half of the left ovary remaining.

Ovaries normally develop "cysts" when ovulating. Developing eggs in the ovary are contained within these "cysts". Cysts on the ovaries are a common thing. They are usually fluid filled, and most often non-symptomatic. Most ovarian cysts are diagnosed incidentally, that is, they are "found" during ultrasound for an unrelated reason. The German language has a name for the pain of ovulation: it is Mittel Schmertz, or middle pain. Most women are thought to ovulate alternatively from each ovary, so the ovary releases an egg once every two months.

Only your doctor can tell you what your cysts are from. It is often helpful to do a follow-up ultrasound to check on the progress of the "cyst". At the very least, it relieves the worry a woman will have about her own condition. Normal ovulation cysts resolve on their own, and often one or both ovaries contain cysts at any given time.

There is also a disease called PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) that can be researched by Googling this name on the internet. It is treated successfully with Glucophage, which is for diabetes. It is an interesting topic, and one you might want to learn more about. It sometimes runs in families, and effects fertility. When treated with Glucophage, it is common for a previously infertile woman to conceive.

When we hear the word "cyst" we automatically hear "cancer" or "tumor". It is important to remember that our ovaries are usually doing what they were meant to do, and that these discovered cysts are normal.

Having said all this, ovarian cancer is a real concern for women who have a maternal blood relative with ovarian cancer. These particular women should be closely monitored as long as they retain their ovaries, because ovarian cancer is hard to diagnose (your ovaries aren't visible like your nose is) and it is fast moving. It has a high mortality rate.

YOUR DOCTOR IS YOUR BEST SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON YOUR PARTICULAR CONDITION. MY OPINION IS ONLY THAT, MY OPINION.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 07:18 PM
I have one too

My Dr. said it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad but there are fluids in there with the blood and it could burst and that junk could go in your system and make you sick.
Best to get rid of it which I will ..........along with everything else
Unread 04-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey Jenny

I know where Russell KY is! I live in Covington.
I once had a boyfriend who ran off with another girl to Russell
Best thing that every happened to me
Take care
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:52 AM
ovarian cyst

Has anyone experienced pain from ovarian cysts? I have been experiencing lower adominal pain (about a 4-5 level on a scale of 10) for about 2 months now. My right ovary was very tender during my pelvic exam. Hence, the ultrasound 2 days later which revealed those nasty fibroids AND 2 cysts on right ovary (1 on left, but with no pain).

My doctor recommended a total hyst (did not mention V or A) and told me to think about it - but to definitely come back in 3 months so that he can recheck everything. I'm not sure I want to live 3 more months in pain. I guess I was a bit in shock over what he found via ultrasound that I forgot to ask him about the pain. He never mentioned any solutions either.

Before I call my DR, any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Sr. Deb
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:11 AM
ovarian cyst

Sister Deb
Hi i also am suffering with lower back pain and discomfert most of the time from a ovaian cyst and tubal swelling. my consultant has put me on the waiting list for a full Hysterectomy + removel of both ovaies,his word you don't need it or want it, get rid of it ,oh how agreed. I have about a 8 1/2 month wait for my operation.
good luck.
Alison leicestershire UK
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:27 AM
ovarian cyst

Wow! 8 1/2 months!!! I think I'd go crazy! Has your dr suggested anything to help minimize the pain while you're waiting?
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:33 AM
ovarian cyst

Hi sister Deb
No didn't suggest any thing so all i have is co codamal pain killers
which seem to take the pain off most of the time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register