Scheduled LAVH This thing they call a, cuff?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This thing they call a, cuff?! This thing they call a, cuff?!

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM
This thing they call a, cuff?!

For those of you with vaginal cuffs.

I am due in surgery November 20th three days before my daughters 20th birthday. I am 37 year old and have a VERY active sex life. I am highly concerned with this thing they call a "cuff".

I know that my doc has set me up with a NO sex clause for 12 weeks after surgery. Isn't this too soon? I mean their is going to be a huge gash in my lady friend from the South, and I am very unnerved by this and the whole "new lady friend from the South.

Is it going to be painful to have sex? My husband is nicely sized (down there) and I am concerned that he will rip me open. Sorry...I know this is WAY TO PERSONAL, but I don't have anyone that has a cuff to ask how things are for them. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Re: This thing they call a, cuff?!

Take comfort in the fact that No doctor will release you for sexual activity until your vaginal cuff is completely healed. if you are completely healed, it will not matter the size of the penis. no worries sweet pea
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM

OMG!! Thank you so so much. I have this on my mind so much. I know lots of ladies are ready to preform their wifely duties in a few weeks or so, and I just can't wrap my head around that. No matter how randy I may feel. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM

I was released for sex at my 6 week check up. The Dr pushed on the cuff and said it was healing well, no it didn't hurt. He told my husband to just be easy and gentle the first few times. 2 days later we gave it a test run. Everything went fine, really fine actually. The only discomfort I had was if my husband let to much of his weight rest on my stomach. I found out I was still sore in the pelvic area. But the cuff was no problem. We have done it several more times since and haven't had a problem.
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM

I can really understand your anxiety surrounding this issue! Many other (((sisters))) have similar concerns.

I was cleared for intimacy after my six-week checkup as well. My advised me that I was to be "in control" the first several times my dh and I tried intercourse, and that we should take things slowly and stop if there was any discomfort.

I had a hip-to-hip open incision, so even though I "could" have sex, dh refused to do anything until I was about 8 weeks post-op. The first few times, I admit to being so tentative that I didn't feel much of anything -- sort of like the first few times after my kids were born.

I guess my main advice to you would be not to worry about it until the time comes. When the time comes for your first experience, take it slow and easy and most likely everything will be fine.
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM

The cuff, in case you aren't aware, is just where the doctor sews together the top of the vagina just below where the cervix was. So long as you follow your doctor's directions you should be fine. Most stories of having it rip open are when women have sex too soon or do way too much and don't give their cuff time to heal. I do understand why you are nervous. I was cleared at 4 weeks and waited until 6.5. I felt a little tender afterward, went to my regular gyn (my surgeon was a gyne/onc) to have her make sure it was ok. She took a look and said it was just irritated and told me to wait a couple weeks more. I did, and it just got better after that
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM

To ease your mind I too have a well endowed dh. For that fact and the fact I was terrified and still sore, we waited until 9 1/2 wks, even though my dr cleared me at 6. Let's just say things worked but definitely keep it in the slow lane for a bit. Things were a little "tighter" for me after surgery from lack of use so we took it slows and used lube. Now at 19 mos po I can say for me surgery is a distant memory in the sex dept. I pretty much have forgotten I've had surgery. Hope that helps!
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:43 PM

My doctor told me to wait 12weeks also. I am so glad he did. When we finally had sex last week, we took it slow. My DH was nervous as if it were our first time. Well, I suppose it was the first time post op with a new, pain free body. What I've learned since our first session is definitely need some good lube. Even though DH said I was wet, it didn't feel like it. Second session went better and finally had the big O. Looking forward to more.

Best wishes for you!
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:03 AM

Thank you everyone!

I am first glad that you all are better after your trip to the castle. You all have been a great help. My nerves are still there, but better on the end of sex. =] Mazel what a relief to know that you started and nothing happen to your lady parts after twelve weeks. YAY!!

You ladies, ROCK!!! I love this site.
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Be patient, trust yourself. Do what you feel is comfortable for you and follow your doctor's suggestions. Plenty of lubrication and trusting your partner is the answer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register