Ovaries & PMS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries & PMS Ovaries & PMS

Unread 07-27-2000, 07:20 AM
Ovaries & PMS

Help Sisters,
I've had a thought, does anyone know of a connection between keeping your ovaries and keeping PMS. Does ovulation trigger PMS? It's been a problem for some time but has been getting worse in the last 12-18 months. Minor symptoms have been increasing in length & intensity. I had planned on leaving the decision up to my Dr. at the time of surgery. She said if they looked OK she preferred to leave them, but if there was any question they would go. Now I'm wondering if leaving them in will leave me with this nasty person I become once a month. Any thoughts or opinions?
I'm 49 & basically not showing any signs of menopause yet.
Thanks for all the support, I really gain a lot reading all of the posts.
Love to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2000, 08:19 AM
Ovaries & PMS

Hi Jex,

Yes, if you keep your ovaries, you will have PMS. Be sure to do lots of research before you make a decision on removing them. Get smart about your options and make the best choice for YOU.
Unread 07-27-2000, 11:16 AM
Ovaries & PMS

Twyla,
Thanks for your post. However, while I was waiting I did what everyone recommends & called my Dr. Her answer was the opposite, that PMS is triggered by the changes in the uterus & since they were removing it I would not have PMS any more. NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED! Do you think she misunderstood my question? I have to talk to the nurse & she askes the Dr. the questions & gets back to me. If that's the case I don't want to insult the nurse by asking again. What do I do now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2000, 03:05 PM
Ovaries & PMS

Hi Jex - Twyla is right. If you have PMS before your surgery, and you keep your ovaries, you will still have PMS afterwards. Go to the top of the page (under the crown) and click on the globe where it says search. When you get to the search screen, type in PMS, scroll down to the Post Op Support forum, and you should come up with a list of threads discussing PMS after surgery. Even with the prospect of PMS, I feel it's better to keep your ovaries if there's nothing wrong with them. PMS only lasts a few days each month. If you decide to have them removed, there's no telling how long you'll be in the Hormone Jungle. Best wishes,
Unread 07-27-2000, 05:04 PM
Ovaries & PMS

Jex,

I've actually heard of both - some women continue with PMS, some don't - could be coincidence? (ie, peri-menopausal timing?) Or, more likely, what some women call "PMS" could really be due to cramping from their period. I used to get awful cramps before the actual (awful) bleeding started - and that did NOT put me in a happy mood. If what you're talking about are the mood swings some women experience with PMS, it really makes sense that the fluctuation of hormones, caused by ovaries, would be the culprit.

I think what Catherine is saying is that you could trade having PMS a few days a month for having PMS most of the time - if you end up having hrt problems. You might be able to alleviate the PMS with hormones (and keep your ovaries) more easily than having to rely totally on hrt.

It's a tough decision!

Dixie
[Edited by Dixie Tracy on 07-27-2000]
Unread 07-27-2000, 08:00 PM
Ovaries & PMS

Thanks for all the advise. I will keep reading and asking questions as I think of them.
Love ya all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register