uterus size | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-26-2003, 10:20 PM
uterus size

My physician says my uterus is the size of a 16 week pregnancy. Of course, I know that is big--but how does it compare to other women having hysterectomy???

I have constant annoying pain, but it isn't unbearable. I am wondering if I should go through with the surgery.

I am scheduled for Feb. 17.

Thanks,

Rede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2003, 11:22 PM
uterus size

Hi Rede

What is causing your large uterus? Fibroids?

It sounds like maybe you're not sure about this surgery. I personally think that you have to feel that having the surgery is the right decision for you. Only you know how much pain you're in and what your quality of life is. You should not be bulldozed into surgery by your DR.

My uterus was very similar size to yours caused by fibroids. They were causing pressure on my bladder. I put up with it for a couple of years before I got so fed up with my quality of life that I thought enough is enough. I was ready for a hyst. Once I had made my decision I felt a sense of peace and calm come over me which I held onto right up to my surgery date. Like everyone I was nervous of course (who isn't) but felt I was making the right decision for me. This is how you need to feel too.

Have you thought of the possibility of a second opinion? This might be of help. You could also just be getting "cold feet". I would image this would be very common leading up to a hyst. As I said earlier, only you know what your pain level is and how it's affecting your life.

All the very best.
Unread 01-26-2003, 11:47 PM
uterus size

Hi Rede

I did a search for you as I remembered a looonnnggg thread about this very question not so long ago. Anyway - I simply clicked on the search button at the top of this page, typed in "uterine size" and it came up with lots of answers....but I remembered the title, so I scrolled thru page after page to page #10 and wahlah!! Here is the link for you to read - there are lots of responses, perhaps it will help.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sea...&pagenumber=10
Scroll down to "How big was yours" by Dawn33 and click on it. There are 3 pages of responses to read.

As far as going thru the surgery or not - that's a personal decision, but be sure to think about your current "quality of life". My life was ruled by my periods to the point that I missed 10 days/mo from work. I had lived with it for years, beg my doc to do it, then found a new doc. I didn't realize how bad it was until after I had my hyster. I feel wonderful now, glad mine is all gone, and I have not a single regret. It was for me, the best decision I ever made.

Best wishes on your search for information.
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 06:47 AM
uterus size

I put off the inevitable until the pain became too frightening to cope with - you could say I hung on to the bitter end! The decision to go ahead with surgery was a huge one for me and I couldn't make it easily even though all roads pointed that way. (I worried not just about the trauma of surgery but the recovery time, the fact I live alone, the fact I have no children and now never would have, not being able to work and therefore financial hardship, family in another country etc etc ) So I understand your reservations.

When my symptoms were bearable, I hung in there and tolerated them and resisted vehemently the prospect of surgery. That all changed when the quality of my life was really compromised and I practically begged to have the surgery. My Dr, who was new to me, should have taken the bull by the horns there and then, he didn't know who he was dealing with! Instead he talked about "options" "making informed decisions" blah blah over the course of an hour and even though I had come to the mindblowing decision to have the op before I saw him, I then started having reservations all over again! (ooh yes maybe I could still get pregnant, miracles do happen, hmm, maybe I should look at uterine artery embolisation, all doctors want is to cut you open, the fibroids should shrink a bit when I get menopausal, he's quite new - will he be any good etc etc) What I needed him to say was "Right, this has got to be done, that's all there is to it and I'm your man!"

When finally I made my decision AGAIN, and the date was set, I still consoled myself with the fact that i might back out at the last minute. World's biggest wimp! In my heart I knew surgery was an inevitablity, I just had to come to terms with it. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts. The decision is hard, the waiting harder. When the day comes, it seems surreal. After surgery I felt elated that it was all over. For me it was absolutely the right decision. It was such an unbelievable mess in there and things would have gone from bad to worse if I hadn't been a brave girl and said YES to surgery. A colonoscopy showed that one of my many fibroids was pressing on the caecum, almost obstructing it, potential BIG problem there. The small bowel was fused to my uterus with adhesions and had to be dissected away - the Dr said this was "tiger country". Little wonder I was in such agony!

I am only 8 weeks post op, but feeling great. And you know, at the 6 week check I could hardly believe it when the Dr palpated my abdomen and I didn't have to guard myself against the usual pain and congestion of a very bulky uterus jam packed with fibroids and a cemented bowel.

Good Luck with all that is ahead. You will know that all the sisters here on this fabulous web site will be behind you.

Love to you
papaya
Unread 01-27-2003, 07:27 AM
Hello R!

For years I had an enlarged uterus... and horrible period cramps... I always blamed my tubal ligation because it made the cramps worse...years went by and I was ok just had hell my first two days of my period.. and when the "flow" finally kicked in my cramps let up. BUT....and I can only tell you my story it may not be right for you...
I'm 48 now and for 4 years tried different hormones because the ultrasounds picked up fibroids... long story... changed GYN's every year...bleeding started getting heavier and heavier...cramps were killers too...
Last year my new GYN ( a woman...) was shocked with my pelvic exam and said my uterus was the size of 3-4 month pregnancy.. I said "oh they all say that.." here I go for another ultrasound and it was the same.. small fibroids, low estrogen high progesterone HRT again and trying to stop the periods, also had an endo biopsy ( results hormone embalance...)
I moved to MD last spring and found a new GYN.. SHE is wonderful! ( I just wanted a woman who bleeds like me and understands my womanhood... men are ok but not at this point in my life... ) When she examined me she said "your uterus is enlarged but this may be norm for your age lets get another ultrasound and trans vaginal ultrasound" ( now that was a new experience...) results.. small uterine fibroids DEEPLY embedded in the wall of my uterus and I told her the cramping and pain controlled my life it was horrible.. she said " let's try changing your hormones to try to stop the bleeding.. in three months you come back and YOU are the only one who can tell me what is happening to you" I went backin three months and told her the bleeding is still heavy but it helped the cramping and pain... she wanted to know about the bleeding and I told her BAD... blood everywhere, on my hand when I wipe, on the toilet seat, in the toilet, down my legs, in my bed, in my clothes. At work I had a horrible time in those little stalls and no sink...sound familiar girls? Clots too. I'd do this gushing for two days and it would let up and spot then it hit me again in gushes.. then it would let up again and I'd spot for maybe a week maybe two it had such a strange pattern and so unpredictable! My husband Joe thought I was dying.. Finally she said "honey I think you have run out of options.. let's consider a hysterectomy" Long story short.. I agreed finally.. I had a TAH/BSO on Jan 6, today I am 3 weeks post op. At one week post op when I went in for my 1 week post op to have the staples out she told me my pathology report came in... I had Adenomyosis and my uterus was BIG... 4 times the norm size... this Adenomyosis is not picked up in sonograms but only in pathology... all that time I suffered and I did not know... She did not know! She just had compassion enough to listen to me and also consider my age... being menopausal age and a surgical menopause /hysterectomy/ won't hurt me...( so true!) anyway she told me this hysterectomy was a very good choice and I agree and feel wonderful! Honey if you are in pain and Bleeding profusely... and you didn't say... think of my story and there are many out there that can say "Amen" to this... This Hysterectomy gave me back quality of life!!! Love to you and keep us posted!
Love, Raphia
Unread 01-27-2003, 12:23 PM
uterus size

Amen, Amen, Amen...

I just wanted to add this: Raphia's story hits home so much with me. That was my problem in a nut shell - but no diagnosis of adenomyosis. Simply a uterus that was hugh, small fibroid, and totally gyn dysfunctional at this point in my life. The bleeding was a nightmare. I can't tell you how many times I was glad I had brought extra uniforms to work with me, left the grocerys in the cart because I'd start to flood, and on and on. I was so very tired of wearing what seemed like a mattress between my legs!

Quality of life - remember that when you make your decision Rede.

Melissa
Unread 01-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Uterus size

Rede,

I have a condition called Adenomyosis. With this condition your Uterus measures very big. I have extreme pain nearly all of the time. I have horribly painful periods which are very heavy. I had a Transvaginal Ultrasound and it revealed my Uterus was 6 times larger than normal. I will be having an abdominal Hysterectomy on February 10th. (The only cure for my condition.) I hope this helps!
Best of luck!
Cary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register