Granulation questions and Sutures | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Granulation questions and Sutures Granulation questions and Sutures

Unread 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Granulation questions and Sutures

Went for my 12 week post op appt. today and I have a yeast infection plus 2 granulations and the sutures were starting to an infection. I mean does it ever end? My doctor didn't seem worried but I knew I had some little issues.

Anyways, I didn't ask alot of questions about the granulation and I wanted some help on my answers. I am going back in 3 months for another follow up.

1. He applied silver nitrate. Do I need to go back and have this done again or will this one time treament help? I have to say that I feel the pain already subsiding.

2. Why do we get granulations?

3. He put no restrictions on me but I heard I shouldn't have sex after the nitrate is applied? What side effects do I need to watch out for?

4. I thought the sutures dissolved but mine were causing a very bad irritation to the point of an infection. He took them out but should I be worried he took them out? I am afriad of there being no support there. Does this mean I am not healed?

5. How common are yeast infections after a hysterectomy? I have a bad one. I am starting probiotics today.

Thanks.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Re: Granulation questions and Sutures

Anyone?
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM

I am not sure either...I go back on the 22nd for my 2 week appt. I am wondering about all that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Granulation is scar tissue that forms over unhealed areas of your vaginal cuff. Treatment may cause a discharge and cramping for a day or so but it shouldn't last much longer than that. I am not sure about the restrictions for having sex but if it were me I'd error on the side of caution and wait a few days.

There are some great articles in the post op section that are great to read. They are a wealth of information and can help ease your mind as well as answer your questions. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found this site. I hope everything works out well for you. Take care, rest and pamper yourself.
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM

I had 2 granulations and they were small and he took out some stitiches and I feel better to be honest and the tampon feeling isn't there anymore. I am wondering if this what was causing the tampon feeling? Hope it doesn't come back. he said everything looks good otherwise. I am exhausted with all these issues and they aren't big issues except my stage 1 prolapse (bladder). I have to say overall I guess I am glad I had the surgery as I am not in pain as often as I was. I am only 3 months healed and expect more time to heal. This surgery was life changing for me. Thanks for the support.
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Sunday morning has some cramping and went to the bathroom and wiped and there is lots of pink blood and I just started crying....is this because I have the silver nitrate on Thursday and why now with the cramping? Do I have more issues? Or is this normal after the granulation treatment?
Unread 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Jenn -

Here is the post-op article on granulation and silver nitrate

You can also do a search for similar threads. I did not need silver nitrate but I did have granulation. In my case the Dr. snipped it and it resolved on it's own. It has to do with the way things heal and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

I have heard that spotting is quite common after silver nitrate treatment and that there is a few day restriction on intercourse. When in doubt on these types of things call your Dr.

Yes, yeast infections can be common after a hysterectomy due to the good bacteria being killed by antiobiotics you may have been given during surgery. Also if ovaries are removed it can change the ph of the vagina and that can lead to an increase in infections. Form me I increased probiotics and because my ovaris were removed went on vaginal estrogen and that helped resolve those issues.

I hope things settle down for you soon.

Unread 08-21-2011, 07:34 PM

I am still healing due to granulation problems on my vaginal cuff
about 7 weeks ago.

DH and I had "frisky sex," not knowing that a granulation problem existed.

The result landed me in the outpatient operating room again.
I tried to get the doctor to treat it with silver nitrate in the office, but he said that it was too severe. He had to use the laser.

Now we haven't had sex for another 6 weeks....I am hoping for the "all clear" on Wednesday.
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauruslady View Post
Jenn -

Here is the post-op article on granulation and silver nitrate

You can also do a search for similar threads. I did not need silver nitrate but I did have granulation. In my case the Dr. snipped it and it resolved on it's own. It has to do with the way things heal and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

I have heard that spotting is quite common after silver nitrate treatment and that there is a few day restriction on intercourse. When in doubt on these types of things call your Dr.

Yes, yeast infections can be common after a hysterectomy due to the good bacteria being killed by antiobiotics you may have been given during surgery. Also if ovaries are removed it can change the ph of the vagina and that can lead to an increase in infections. Form me I increased probiotics and because my ovaris were removed went on vaginal estrogen and that helped resolve those issues.

I hope things settle down for you soon.

Thanks! How would I know if th diflucan did its job? i was on probiotics and then stopped them. I am just depressed and don't know who to turn to? I have cramps and slight pelvic pain and am wondering if the infection is gone. will yeast infections be chronic now since the hysterectomy? My docs office is tired of me. i can twll and dont know who to turn to? I am not a fan of medications unless absolutely necessary. No spotting since the treatment of granulations but again I am not getting my hopes up incase it comes back. How do I focus on what is really going on? I.e tests, etc

Much thanks,
Jenn
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq55 View Post
I am still healing due to granulation problems on my vaginal cuff
about 7 weeks ago.

DH and I had "frisky sex," not knowing that a granulation problem existed.

The result landed me in the outpatient operating room again.
I tried to get the doctor to treat it with silver nitrate in the office, but he said that it was too severe. He had to use the laser.

Now we haven't had sex for another 6 weeks....I am hoping for the "all clear" on Wednesday.

i feel my life is on hold and I have no direction from my doctor. i come here for advice. I don't know when i should have sex due to my yeast infection ( took diflucan 4 days ago) and still going for pt on my pelvic floor. I hope the granulations dont come back. Mine were only 1 mm big and I had two of them and since he cut my autures off the tampon feeling has gone away. Again, i feel as if I sit ready for the next thing to go wrong. Cant get into my gp until sept 19th. So frustrating....

Thanks for the support.
Jenn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register