Dealing with longish drive home from castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dealing with longish drive home from castle Dealing with longish drive home from castle

Unread 04-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Dealing with longish drive home from castle

The castle is around 50 minutes from my home -- any suggestions on how to make that drive more comfortable? Seems like a long time to be in a car -- didn't think about it when I chose the doctor and hospital I liked best, but now I'm stuck with that decision!

Should I lay down in the back seat? How to cushion from too much vibration or bumps (although most of the roads are smooth). Forget about dealing with the seat belt? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as this has now become my panicky thought for the week!

Plus -- I live in metro Atlanta, and if they release me near rush hour, it could take two hours to get home (or longer, depending on whether there's an accident). I want to let the hospital and doc know, if they don't release me by 1:30, I don't want to go, because I don't want to get stuck in rush hour, and even by then, it might be sluggish. Can you insist on a morning release??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 07:42 AM
Three words...

pillows, pillows, pillows. Also make sure that you get pain meds. right before you leave the castle. It wasn't bad for me but I would suggest to not lay down in the car, I imagine it would be very difficult to get up. Make sure to have a tummy pillow and hold it tight against your tummy. This helps with the bumps. My ride home was about 40 minutes. I rode in my parents truck because our vehicles were either too tall (4X4 pickup) or too short to get in comfortably.
Pam
Unread 04-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Trip Home

My trip was also 50 miles. Take lots of pillows and lay back. Just make the best of it. Make sure you get pain meds before you leave. Good luck Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2003, 08:04 AM

Did you sit on the pillows? How about if the front seat gets put back all the way, and I elevate my legs as much as possible? I'm not sure if my sister's carseat reclines back.
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Randir

I have no advice as I am still pre op but I was glad to see you asked the question as this will be one of my concerns.

Perhaps I can make you fell better, when I tell you that I am approx 40 mins from the Castle, but it is in Ireland where the roads surrounding me are bumpy, bendy, one could get lost in the potholes, So with every painful dart think that at least you have a smooth road.

I do of course wish you a speedy comfy drive home.

Best of Luck
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:10 AM

Oh, Irish Gal, I'm so sorry for the bumpy ride you'll be taking! Ouchie! Can they keep you in the hospital longer than the typical 2 days?

I'm going to be instructing my sister to deal with making sure we have pain meds before we leave the hospital, and tell the doc the situation during pre-op so they don't just release me with a written prescription. I'm hoping I'll still be plenty drugged up and won't notice much of anything.
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:40 AM

Please wear your seatbelt. I had a tummy pillow that I put between me and the seatbelt and it worked fine. I also took a pain pill shortly before leaving. Dh had to go fill a script after I got home and I didn't know how long it would take for him to go get my meds so I surely didn't want to be hurting if the pharmacy was slow.
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:26 AM

Bless your heart. I also had a long drive home & I live in the mountains. An understanding nurse gave me a painshot before I left & told DH that I was to be put in bed immediately when I got home. DH drove soooo slow up the winding roads, that the little old ladies from our church group passed us! When I got home, I was in pain but not as much as I expected. And I went to bed. Bring your pillow & put it between the seat belt & you. That helps alot.

Hugs to you.
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi Randir

Irish Gal Back,

Yes the road will be bumpy But after all the advice you got I will fill the car with pillows if I have to. But yes I am very lucky in that in Ireland we stay 6 days after Hyst and more if need be. Though we complain about our health service it is generally good.(but dont tell the Government I said this as we are all looking for a better health service).

Of course we could do with better roads but it is a good place to live.

I will be keeping an eye for any more advice you get on your site.

Hugs,
Marie
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:55 AM

Yes! Wear your seatbelt. The tummy pillow really does help. If the vibrations from the car really bother you, ask your sister to pull off the road for a few minutes. Taking your pain meds right before you leave should help. Have the nurse call your hospital pharmacy so your meds are ready to take home with you. We picked ours up on the way out.

I would also ask your doctor about your release time. Most DRs do their rounds in the morning. Mine was always in before his office opened up. I was released by 7:30am but didn't leave until around 11:00. I gave my hubby a little time to sleep in, gathered what things I could, and took advantage of their removable showerhead to wash my hair.

They never pushed me to leave. They just said, take your time and let us know when you're ready so we can call for your wheelchair.

Depending on how many you get, it might be a good idea to ask someone to take home your flowers the night before. That way, all they have to transport is you and your suitcase.

Good luck!

Tara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register