Scheduled for 3/1! Newbie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for 3/1!  Newbie Scheduled for 3/1! Newbie

Unread 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Scheduled for 3/1! Newbie

Hi there,

I've been lurking for a bit but thought I'd come out of the woodwork as I'm probably going to need some sister support soon!

I am 39 and have a full hysterectomy scheduled for Thursday of this week.

A little medical background: Endometriosis, PCOS, and adenomyosis. Lots of past surgeries to remove cysts and scar tissue, infertility, bloating, pain and bleeding pretty much all month long for the past 2 years. Also, my left ovary has adhered to my uterus with scar tissue, and boy, that hurts! Ovulation is really painful as well.. like.. put me in the bed for the day ovulation, and I'm told I'm very pain tolerant. Ouch.

My first ob/gyn suggested ablation. Great for the bleeding but not so much for the pain, bloating, cysts, etc.

I recently moved and visited a new ob/gyn and he suggested hysterectomy. He left it up to me regarding leaving in an ovary (left one has to come out). Because it has had repeated cysts and endometriosis, I don't want to risk having yet another surgery (would be the 6th) and screwing up what little abdominal muscles I have. The doctor agreed.

I'm also a geneticist and cancer researcher, and most of my work has been done on ovarian cancer. Working with ovarian cancer freaks you out, particularly when you are at higher risk due to having endometriosis, so that was another deciding factor.

So, I'm planning to get it all cleaned out on Thursday via a full laparoscopic surgery (cervix stays) and HRPT directly after, so I don't kill anyone, dry up beef jerky, etc.

I'm not really that concerned about the lap. I've ridden that rodeo 5 times and had 2 C sections, so I know the drill. I'm far more concerned about effects of the HRPT. I can put up with a lot of pain, nausea, dryness, etc. I am a total baby when it comes to insomnia and anxiety. I'm just hoping I don't go completely bat **** crazy after the surgery!

I'm trying to keep a good attitude and assume I'll actually feel much better with HRPT, because my hormones have been all over the place for years. My friend that had this done said it was super hard for her to adjust though, so I'm crossing my fingers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Sheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Re: Scheduled for 3/1! Newbie

It sounds like you are very clear about your decision, and that will be very helpful as you go through your recovery. I am on HRT, and I am feeling really good about it. As you probably already know, there are people for whom HRT is contraindicated, but there are others who can really benefit from it. I, fortunately, have none of the risk factors that go against taking HRT, so I am enjoying its benefits.

I wish you well on your surgery and your upcoming recovery!
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Thank you!

I also have no risk factors, which is why I decided to go for it. I spent a lot of time going over the research data with my doctor (benefit of being a geneticist!) so I feel pretty comfortable about the risks associated with taking them.

I'm not as comfortable about how I'm going to possibly feel until they get everything all balanced out!

Hopefully, it will beat what I'm going through now. Any improvement is worth it, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM

I started on the "standard" dose of Estriadol (1 mg) four days after my surgery. My hot flashes began to subside very quickly, and I feel completely normal again. Now, I just have to get my thyroid levels regulated, since my unsettled ovaries were playing havoc with the other hormones! Seriously, though, I haven't felt this good in a long time.
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM

Glad you decided to post your story. It does sound like you have made an informed decision and that is great!! I am on HRT and I feel great!! It can take some time for you to get evened out though, so do be ready for that. I had to have my dosage adjusted from the minimum to the maximum in order to feel better, but once we got the dosage figured out, i have had NO issues at all!! I feel great and am very pleased with my decision. I also had endo and there are a lot of doctors out there that do not prescribe HRT to endo patients because endo feeds off of estrogen. I am so glad that I did my research and I have no regrets about my decision.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a swift, smooth recovery!!! Again, welcome!!!

Unread 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM

I am beginning to research this HRT stuff, I will most likely lose one ovary but could lose both. Wont know until the doctor is in there looking at things. I am leaning towards just taking it all out and be done with it. But I have a tendency to go ape s**t crazy when my hormones are out of whack.
Delivery of my kids and afterward were a trip, and not a fun one at that.
So this is being added to the list of things to talk to the doctor about.

thanks for all the info sisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register