Any similari experiences - fluid, not blood, antibiotics and a CT scan ? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any similari experiences - fluid, not blood, antibiotics and a CT scan ? Any similari experiences - fluid, not blood, antibiotics and a CT scan ?

Unread 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Any similari experiences - fluid, not blood, antibiotics and a CT scan ?

So I had my davinci june 19, only keeping the ovaries.
I had no issues until July 17 and 18, in the AM first pee of the day there was old rusty blood in discharge on the toilet paper.
My 4 week check up was July 18, he gave me silver nitrate and precautionary antibiotics for 5 days. I did not have an infection, the rusty discharge stopped.

Last Wednesday I had the rusty discharge again. I called , he said he'd see me after my vacation, in a week. I kept notes all week of how often I got this rusty discharge on toilet paper. Granted we travelled by car, 7 hours each day for 2 days, then a 14 hour day - I did not drive. That was really hard.

From his vantage point, looking from down below (lol), every thing is fine. He still sees the stitches which can be there for 18 weeks. The fluid is not blood, he used those huge Q-tips and tested the cuff, everything is fine.

So now I have 2 antibiotics for 7 days and a CT scan to schedule. It'll be with contrast in the IV and maybe a drink too.

Ummm, this fluid is coming from somewhere I guess. He says he doesn't think I have an infection, he saw nothing, I have no pain. Etc
If I didn't see it in the discharge on the toilet paper I would feel totally fine.

Anyone had anything similar ? Any guesses, articles, better anatomy knowledge than me, etc ??

I'm not worried as such, I just wish it'd all be over, you know?

Edited to add - looking at other posts that mention CT scans. I feel NO pain, occasional tugging behind the belly button and the right side incision. I feel no pressure or problem when I pee, and pooping is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2017, 06:47 AM
Re: Any similari experiences - fluid, not blood, antibiotics and a CT scan ?

70 views and no replies

Bumping it up in case someone who has an insight hasn't seen it.
If not, well, I don't know.
Unread 08-13-2017, 09:25 AM

if he still sees stitches, couldn't the discharge be when your stitches are dissolving? i would schedule the cat scan and see what that shows. it doesnt sound like anything to worry about...you have no infection or fever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM

I honestly have no idea about the stitches.
I will definitely do the CT scan.
Worry is a funny thing. I had no fluid yesterday until I went to the bathroom in the night.
In the middle of the night, I cried, I'm off and on worried - lol
I feel fine but *something* must be going on.
The HUGE worry is needing more surgery, I have no more downtime for that. And that's right where my anxiety sends me, the worst case scenario,
But the crazy part, it's all better than a period, isn't that crazy ?!

Thanks so much for the reply
Unread 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Hi,

I had something similar 3 weeks post op and I was put on two antibiotics for two weeks. Had a CT to rule out abscess which came back normal. On Friday started with the pink tinged discharge again (same as when I had infection) and I'm scheduled to see the doctor tomorrow. I'm thinking the antibiotics weren't for a long enough period or perhaps the wrong antibiotics. I hope this helps. At least you know you're not the only one
Unread 08-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Oh my gosh. It IS a relief to know someone else has it. Or similar.

It's weird with the antibiotics. Today I have not had the fluid. But if I don't have an infection, the antibiotics shouldn't be doing anything.
I took a melatonin last night and went to bed for 10 hours. I had actual pain that made me cry yesterday. Nothing today. I needed that sleep.

It's stressful being worried about this.

Oh and my CT scan is scheduled for Friday morning.

Please update me after you see the doctor, if you don't mind.
Unread 08-15-2017, 12:10 PM

So I saw the doctor today and it appears that I was not on the antibiotics long enough so she put me back on for another two weeks. They did a test to rule out a fistula just for precaution which was also negative. The funny thing is my doctor sent a sample from the first "infection" for culture and it came back normal so I too have some type of fluid that may not be an infection but no one can confirm where it's coming from. I have no pain, feel great, and like you wouldn't think anything is wrong other than the discharge.

I can totally relate to thinking worse case scenario - these things wake me up at 2am!!

Good luck on Friday with the CT - I had the fluid and IV which isn't bad at all. Wishing you the best and please let me know how it goes.
Unread 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM

How crazy !
You can't just have mystery fluid indefinitely. I need to know why when it comes to medical things.

What was the test for the fistula?

When I called for the CT scan they said it would only be the contrast in the IV , so no bloodwork needed beforehand for the drink type dye since I'm not having it.

I'm achy again today but I had not been out since Friday and I drove. And it is HOT out. Doesn't help. And wearing real clothes. Lol
Unread 08-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Well my mystery fluid is diminishing so that's a plus.

As for the fistula test - kinda weird. They had to cathederize me and fill my bladder with blue dye. I then had to insert a tampon (i thought those days were over!!) and walk around for 45 minutes. If the tampon was blue that meant my urine was leaking into the vagina. Thankfully I didn't have a blue tampon lol! I was at the doctor's office from 9am until 12, my husband and I went for a quick lunch and that did me in for the day. As for the heat and real clothes - I feel you. It's 90 degrees here today and none of my pants fit comfortably yet so it's been sundresses for me since the surgery. For work I just throw on a blazer over them and put some heals on - they're lucky I don't show up in sweatpants (although it's too hot for them)
Unread 08-15-2017, 03:29 PM

Wow what a crazy test.
I guess as women we have had less dignified medical things done (a pap for one as far as I'm concerned) - lol - I can handle that if need be.
For the record, my doctor has NEVER mentioned a fistula as an issue. I was just curious.

That is good, having less of the fluid.

I think it said 93 degrees today. I have pretty much been in Capri , loose yoga pant things the whole time. And a t shirt and flip flops. Which is not me at all. That is sloppy but comfort is #1 at this point. My problem is air conditioner kills me.
I'm just a mess - lol

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register