I am lady in waiting and scared to death!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am lady in waiting and scared to death!!! I am lady in waiting and scared to death!!!

Unread 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I am lady in waiting and scared to death!!!

Hello everyone, I am new here. I just registerd. I have been driving myself crazy getting ready for my upcoming hysterectomy which takes place on 6/26. I have been reading all about post op, pre op, pain, etc. I will be honest I am so nervous. My hysterectomy will remove everything but one ovary. I have severe PID so my doc. is not sure about the type of insision, as of now he wants to laproscropic with vaginal assisting. But if the scar tissue is to great it will be a horizontal abdominal incision. I am a wimp when it comes to pain, and my anxiety is so great I am already working myself up and I still have 9 days left. I am glad I found this website so that perhaps I can share stories, and have people share stories with me. I will talk to all of you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Welcome aboard! I am available to chat anytime (bad insomnia) I finally realized now being 15 days post op I would worry about myself if I wasn't a little afraid to go into surgery. Feel free to PM or yahoo me, I will help you anyway possible from telling my story to listening to you vent
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Thank you so much Jenny. I would love to have someone to talk to. I feel like I am walking billboard for medical problems, my hyst. is a result of severe PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), Cervical cancer, Uterine fibroids, and ovarian cysts. I know I know, I am falling apart.lol. I am actually really excited about the surgery, just very nervous. I dont know how to send private messages in here, or talk to people other then in the boards, so you will need to tell me. So your 15 days post op, how are you doing? Are you still in a lot of pain? What pain meds did they give you in hosp. and after discharge? Why does everyone I see have insomnia? Do you have a med for insomnia? Should I talk to the doc. about giving me something for sleep? I hope to hear from you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM

We all have insomnia because these dang boards are so entertaining and fun that we sit at our computers all day....hahaha! Seriously, it is a divided camp. One camp visits here infrequently becuse they are sleeping at night and passed out during the day. The other camp (I am a member of this camp) are having difficulty sleeping. My difficulty sleeping is NOT, I repeat, is NOT due to pain. I am normally a big sleeper (at a party, in the middle of the daylight on Sunday) and I am having difficulty sleeping (I am just day 9 out from my vaginal hyst). I do not like/take/tolerate medication well and I think that with just the disruption in system/schedule has jacked me up a bit although I am proud to report that I slept through the night last night-woohoo! We have all been where you are. You will hear that the waiting is the hardest part. It is true!! I wish I could tell you that your surg/recovery will be as easy and as uneventful as mine. Truly, this has been way easier than all my wasted worry.The women here are knowledge, honest, funny and soooooo helpful! Rely on any of us-anytime....you may wanna remember the insomniac campers for your 2:00 a.m. worries and wonderings!! Blessings and peace to you!!!
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:23 PM

if you go to yahoo click on messenger and it will give you the download info. In the hospital I had hadol (I think that is the spelling), demoral pump, senokot, my zoloft, vicodin and valium. for release I got cenestin, vicodin and phenogren (for nausea). I just can't sleep I have a call into my doctor, but they are moving offices today so it may not be until monday when it does get bad and I just want to sleep I take a excedrin PM. I haven't taken any vicodin for a week until last night had a little pain which was weird. My doctor is a weird one LOL (maybe I am very lucky) he believes 1. women should not be in pain ever and 2. if men had to have a female parts hysterectomies would be a rite of passage.
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:37 PM

I think it is totally normal to be nervous about surgery. you are not alone. I have been waiting a long time for my hysterectomy, and now that it really is right around the corner, I find that I am anxious about it even though I am still really excited. I actually decided to start antidepressants last week to help with my anxiety and hopefully cushion my emotions post op.
**Note( I am not a doctor. I'm not advocating antidepressant use. the decision to take any medication should be thoroughly discussed with your doctor.)

I have been trying to focus on the things that I can control. I had a massage yesterday to relax a bit before surgery, and I'm going to the library this afternoon to stock up on books and CD's to keep me company.

If you are worried about pain, and post op medicine, talk to your doctor and the nurses before surgery, and make sure that the doctor leaves standing orders for medication that you might need so that if you do, they don't have to wait to hear from him before dispensing the meds.

I plan to ask that they be prepared to treat not only pain, but nausea, insomnia, and constipation.
hopefully it won't be necessary, but in case it is, I want them to be prepared.

Best of luck to you, and I'm glad you found this forum. it has been a great help to me in alleviating my fears, and as a source of information.
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Hey-I always got really sick on anesthesia and I am a motion sick person. I told anesthesiologist this when he came to see me when IV was being installed and he offered meds in my IV or a patch behind my ear. Took the patch and NO nausea whatsoever. Again-they can recommend and know what is best, but do not be shy about telling them you do not want to throw up after surgery if you are prone. Now ain't the time to get heroic!!Just a tip!!
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:45 PM

I will pray for you. I had a LAVH on June 12. I am fine. Got to rest now.
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:51 PM

thank you for your words of wisdom, I am a natural sleeper, if I could get paid to sleep I would be a millionaire, so hopefully I will be able to sleep, but if I dont I will be here in the wee hours chatting it up with you ladies.
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM

I will definatly be talking to the doctor about meds. I am prone to get sick, especially if I have pain. I either pass out or throw up, so I will make sure I have the wonderful phenogren. Which I have been seeing my doc. for almost 6 years so he knows my history as he has performed numerous surgeries on me, he knows I throw up, knows I am wuss when it comes to pain, and knows that I am a really slow healer and infection prone (please god dont let me get an infection with this...ahhhh). But I have to say...my doctor is so Magoo. lol. He is the type that wears bowties to work and nerdy...lol, but when it comes to surgery he is a different person, he gets excited and he doesnt let people be uncomfortable...so that may work for me...but one more question....I had a laproscopic surgery about 3 years ago for an ectopic pregnancy where they filled me up with gas, it was so painful. Are they going to do that again, is that why people keep talking about immediatly walking the halls? UGH!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register