Anyone else concerned? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else concerned? Anyone else concerned?

Unread 07-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Anyone else concerned?

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy August 12. I am getting pretty nervous, especially with all the negative news about hormone replacements lately. Has anyone else wondered what will happen after the hysterectomy. I am not sure about hormone replacements now, however I know that I will need them if they remove the ovaries. I have a cyst on my left ovary and the doctor is repeating the ultra sound to check the pelvic area again. I hope there are answers out there soon for all of us.

Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 12:40 PM
No hormones and fine

Hi there,
I am sure you are not taking this surgery lightly. There is some concern about HRT for women in menopuase who are taking estrogen/progestin. Nothing has been said about dangers concerning estrogen only. I am 34. 8 weeks post. No estrogen for me. I do take vitamins and supplements on the advice of my DR.
There are many women in the No Hormone Desert Oasis that do just fine with no estrogen. Maybe you should check that out! Lots of info over there.
If you NEED this surgery, get it done and worry about tweaking your hormone levels when the time comes. You will store estrogen in your body for some time. That time is different for every woman. And discuss these concerns with your DR.

HUGS!
Unread 07-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Anyone else concerned?

Hi--I've always been against HRT personally, but a couple months before surgery, began supplementing with natural progesterone and it made a big difference in how I felt. The main reason I began supplementing was because of heart/bone benefits and reassurance there are NO harmful side effects from "natural" progesterone. After surgery, my dr did not put me on anything but okayed my progesterone use. She wanted to wait to see how I did. I am almost 3 months post. I have started taking New Phase, an over-the-counter herbal supplement, and have noticed a difference in my mood swings and decreased night sweats. You may not need to worry about having to take anything. Not everyone does. And there are plenty of natural alternatives in case you feel you'd like to try something.

Try not to be nervous about either the surgery or the HRT. I know it's easier said than done because I was a first-class idiot prior to my surgery, and to tell you the truth, I felt better even at the first minute of regaining consciousness than I had in a long, long time.

Good luck to you, and hopefully I'll see you around the boards!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 01:56 PM
HRT reports

For what it's worth my doctor gave my husband and I some interesting info with regard to the recent HRT concerns. He feels that the fears far exceed the results of the actual study. He indicated that studies have shown a decrease in colon cancer much higher than the incidence of breast cancer while using combined HRT. He's concerned that many women are going to throw out the baby with the bathwater with all these conflicting studies. He also says the study did not indicate whether those women with cardiac episodes had higher risks before taking HRT. That's why he would stress a healthier lifestyle for the menopausal woman to offset what may (stress "may") accelerate cardiac episodes. So, that's from the for what it's worth dept. Now I tend to be a backwoods herbalist and prefer the natural to the un-natural, but I'll be honest enough to say, I've suffered enough these last couple of years and I just told him to "patch me with anything but horse urine", so I'm being "patched" with plant based estrogen right after I get out of recovery... Blessings, Janet rincess:
Unread 07-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Anyone else concerned?

As a statistician (I have a degree in Math/Stats) I must agree with Pookah. It makes me so angry when they come out with these "scary" statistics and don't tell us the whole story. It is nothing but sensationalist news. Of course they halted the study because there were too many unknowns. As Pookah said, one unknown was whether these women had an increased risk for heart disease before the study. Also, they gave numbers, not actual stats. An increase of 8 women with disease out of 10,000 studied means an increase of only .0008 %. When u look at it like that you realize thats not a bad risk. At some point I'm sure they will resume the study and introduce more factors into their analysis. This will take more time and money, so who knows when that will be.

But, we should be educated about whatever we put in our bodies. I will continue to take my .9 mg Premarin without any worries whatsoever. And, if down the road, it turns out I may need Progesterin too, I will certainly not shy away from it. Its a personal decision as to the risk/benefits of any HRT regimen. Like Lil helion you may decide that no HRT is for you. I hope you don't worry too much!

Unread 07-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Anyone else concerned?

You and I have something in common.....same surgery date . I too have had my ears open to these new findings and have been a little confused . My Dr. intends to put me on the patch and I am going ahead with it. I would rather have something "natural" but for now, I want to get the surgery over with and then play the HRT "game" when I can really concentrate on its effect. To me, the evidence against is not solid enough for me not to try it. As someone said earlier, we need to be aware and make informed decisions that are good for our own bodies.

Good luck.
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:16 PM
Anyone else concerned?

I have to agree with Chi-square. When you understand statistics, it is infuriating how the media distorts things.

The HRT in question was a specific combination of estrogen and progesterone used in one particular study. It's the combination that was thought to cause the (SLIGHT) increase mentioned. Most post-hyst women don't have to take progesterone, only estrogen. There is no indication IN THIS STUDY about estrogen only, because a) they only studied pre-hyst women and b) they didn't study estrogen only.

I will also continue to take my .625mgs of Premarin with confidence. My mother's been on it for 35 years and has no problems, nor do we have genetic indicators for the usual types of cancers that are mentioned.

I urge everyone to READ THE ACTUAL ARTICLES on which all this media hype is based...you will feel better. And use your doctors as resources...they can help you interpret information you're not clear on.

Hope this helps a little!

Karen
Unread 07-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Anyone else concerned?

At the risk of being bombarded with angry words, in my opinion the media didn't distort anything. Rather, the truth finally came out. HRT is big business -- more women than ever before are entering menopause and perimenopause and the pharmaceutical companies have found a way to cash in on that. Tons of money are being made convincing us our bones will break, our hearts will give out, our skin will shrivel up and we'll turn into old hags if we don't go on ERT or HRT. I know women on HRT and women who aren't, and to look at them I can't tell the difference. Some of them refuse to go on it because of things that happened to their friends and family who were on them, and others state they couldn't live without them. And, contrary to the media, not every woman suffers with menopausal symptoms. Many more than we realize sail right through it. We only hear about the ones who need help.

I appreciate my dr not slapping a patch or prescription on me right after surgery. She (and I) thought it best to wait and see how I do -- and so far I'm doing fine. Maybe that approach isn't the best for everyone. All of us have different needs, etc. But there is no drug in the world without some kind of side effect, whether you notice it or not.

Also, the study was an estrogen/progestin study. Not natural progesterone, which is not the same thing as progestins (synthetic progesterone).

I wish you all to find the path that's the best one for you.

Unread 07-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Anyone else concerned?

This is just one more reason for women about to have a hysterectomy to reconsider removing their ovaries. The best hormones for you are the ones made by your own body. If your ovaries are healthy and you have no family history of ovarian cancer, you might want to think about keeping them.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register