Is This A Silly Question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is This A Silly Question? Is This A Silly Question?

Unread 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Is This A Silly Question?

Hi All - Would like to start off saying I love this site and have found it to be incredibly helpful as I await my upcoming TAH (fibroids). The procedure itself doesn't worry me, because at this point I feel like anything is better than the way I'm feeling right now. However, I am terrified of having a needle inserted in my hand! The arm does't bother me in the least, but I have never had a needle in my hand and I am convinced that it will hurt and sting just awfully. I know this should be the least of my worries but I fear that the stress of worrying about it will raise my blood pressure ( I am hypertensive) which will in itself, put me at risk during the procedure. Do they really need to put the needle in my hand? If I insist, will they put it in my arm instead? If they must put it in my hand, will it hurt as much as I feel it will? I know this sounds totally irrational, but I just can't help myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Hi...I know of no reason why the needle needs to be in your hand--mine was in my arm for about five days, then they put a fresh one in my hand. And it didn't hurt at all.
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM

There are no silly questions as far as I'm concerned! I think about the things I worried about before surgery and some of it seemed like "small" things but they weren't to me. I was scared about the hand iv too. I was told by several people that it hurt. My experience was that it didn't really. I don't know if she used a topical or what but it just didn't bother me much. I mean, it didn't tickle but I wasn't screaming in pain either! Also, I knew that I would be getting happy drugs soon and that helped calm me down. After the happy juice my hand was the furthest thing from my mind. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Just be sure to drink a lot the day before surgery so that you will not be dehydrated and you should be fine. I was dehydrated when I had my carpal tunnel surgery last January and had to have the IV put in my neck after they failed in the arm three times and once in each foot (now that smarts there). I warned them before this surgery and I was told not to do the bowel prep because I tend to become dehydrated easily.

They started in my hand this time and then moved to the arm and thankfully got it in there on just the second try.

My blood pressure was sky high that day too. Ask them to put it in your arm if you are afraid of the hand. I'm sure that it won't have an affect on your surgery no matter what the type.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM

I had my IV in my hand for three days. And two weeks before I had an IV in the same hand for my colonoscopy. In the hospital they couldn't seem to find my arm veins so they took blood twice a day out of my other hand. Honestly, it really didn't hurt at all. I was able to use my fingers and move my hand around fine. I think in the hand you'll have a bit more mobility, but I could be wrong about that. If you really have a preference, ask the nurse before they start the IV. It's possible they don't care either way. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns. And no question is silly~
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM

There are no silly questions

I've had injections into my hand about once a month for the past year. Before that they used to give them to me in my arm. The first time they asked for my hand I was SURE it was going to hurt. It didn't at all. The only time it was a little uncomfortable was the time I had less water and more coffee before I went - as Downyocean (Kay) mentioned, dehydration makes a difference.

I also had minor surgery last year, and my IV was in my hand - it didn't hurt even tho it looked awfully painful to me (and it was MY hand it was in so I knew it didn't hurt ! weird huh ???).

All the best with your surgery - we're only a few days apart, so we'll be going through this together !
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM

ItzAboutThyme,

It's your body and if there's no difference medically, you are in control of this one! I usually don't mind where they stick me. But I had several blood transfusions and my hand started to hurt after a few hours. One nurse didn't want to change it. I called for another nurse and she was happy to put the IV in my arm. She said it's hard for some people to keep their arms straight so the machine doesn't beep. I said if they wanted to put my arm in a splint so it didn't move when I slept, it was okay with me! Make sure you have them put your request on paper and highlight it before surgery.
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I felt so silly posting the question but now I feel much better about it. This is a wonderful site and a great source of information, sharing and kinship. I wish you all continued health, strength and happiness...

JoAnn - you will be in my thoughts and prayers on the 20th!
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:07 PM

Kay, I am going to follow your advise about drinking lots of water the day before. They always have trouble putting in an IV or drawing blood. The last time I had 3 pokes in the arm and finally told the nurse to please get someone else because she was just hurting me. Hopefully this will make their job easier.
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:06 PM

I too was worried about the hand IV - once I got into the operating room the anesthesiologist first numbed my hand and while I was busy watching my other arm get the blood pressure cuff on he announced "I'm done" - I did not feel a thing! And had no issues the whole time it was in - and believe me - you WANT the stuff it's delivering!! GOOD medicine!!

Hope this helps put your mind at ease - the more you know the less you will worry!!

Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register