Outpatient??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Outpatient??? Outpatient???

Unread 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Outpatient???

Okay I think I am crazy.... Tomorrow is my surgery and my dr has changed my surgery to outpatient. The surgery is at 7:30am and he believes I will be able to go home same day. I am really nervous about this. EVERYONE I have talked to that has had a hysterectomy has had at least one overnight stay in the surgery. Has anyone had same day surgery. I talked to my doctor about my concerns, however he said if I am really concerned after surgery tomorrow I could stay in the hospital overnight. Am I freaking out for nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Re: Outpatient???

My surgery is Wednesday for 7:30. I am also outpatient. I was wandering about that, too. If needed I assume they'll keep me overnight.My husband will be there to advocate for me. Mine is da vinci which is supposed to be less bleeding. Uterus and cervix, leaving ovaries.
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Don't freak out. It'll be ok. Just make sure you are prepared for when you get home. I stayed one night in the hospital which was nice because I live by myself and would have had no one to help me that first night had I gone home. That being said, however, I cried on and off by myself in my hospital room because I was lonely and missed my dog, home, etc and would have loved to have gone home that night. Catch 22 I suppose.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM

I had my surgery at 7:30am and I was home in my own bed - on the second floor of our home - by 4:00pm the same day. I took it slow and my husband took very good care of me, but I did not regret coming home the same day. We wrote a schedule of what time I needed to take my meds so that I would not forget. I did set my alarm to take them on schedule so that I was not in pain.
For me, it was the best thing. I had no complications, so it was a relatively easy recovery. I realize that most women stay overnight, but for me it was the best thing.
Good luck, try not to worry. It will all be over soon and you will be on the road to recovery. I wish you as easy a recovery as I had.
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM

I was pretty glad to have a night in the hospital. My first experience with major surgery and home is a good hour ride by car. But it seems that lots of women do go home the same day. Do you have experience with surgery and have an idea of how you'll do with anesthesia, etc? Any reason to suspect you might have complications? Hope you do fine, they won't send you home if you're not doing well enough yet.
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Thank you everyone for the GREAT advice. I don't handle anesthesia well. I was just more nervous because the ten women I know who had surgery, one was davinci like me, all stayed at least one night. I will have someone home with me but it still just made me a little nervous. It is so nice to have so many people who know what I am going through!! Good luck to everyone!!!
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:42 PM

I just preregistered and the nurse said to have a bag in the trunk just in case I end up spending the night. Otherwise, it's just a 15 minute drive and I'll have my husband and grown daughters. It seems as long as you can pee and pass gas your okay.
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:55 PM

I had DaVinci at 11am, and sober one night in the hospital. Didn't sleep all night, not because of pain, because the bed was so uncomfortable! I could have gone home. Barring any complications, you should be fine. Good luck !
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM

I had my surgery in an outpatient facility with the option of staying one night. I stayed the night because I wanted extra time with the IV drugs. It was the best decision for me and I didn't feel bad about it. My anesthesiologist told me the day before that most patients go home same day and do fine but once you leave you can't be re-admitted and will have to go to the ER. He then said-- that's the last place you will want to be!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register