ablation or hysterectomy??? Selfish worry. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ablation or hysterectomy???  Selfish worry. ablation or hysterectomy??? Selfish worry.

Unread 07-11-2003, 10:41 AM
ablation or hysterectomy??? Selfish worry.

I am 4 months post partum, 3 pregnancy, twins most recent, 2 c'sects. I have had heavy bleeding for 3 months straight, then D&C. Now month 4 it begins again. I am looking at either ablation or hysterectomy. Either way I just want it to stop. I would go with the hysterectomy, but I selfish worry...I like my night life with my husband the way it is. What happens if they take out the uterus? Does it change the way things work? Do we have to do things differently? Is there any pleasure left or does the uterus being gone leave a big hole with no feeling? Does leaving the cervix behind make this not an issue? I plan on leaving both ovaries. I dont want to make the wrong decision and then end up not enjoying my nightlife with my husband, but then again I dont want to bleed at all times of the month and not be guaranteed that the ablation will even work at all. Does any one have any info that can help me? Thanks...Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2003, 02:12 PM

lpete,

I had an ablation three years ago and the results were marvelous...for exactly two years! I has the occasional month of spotting and much milder PMS symptoms but everything was more than bearable.

Then, I had my first full period in two years and they came back worse than ever. The lining grew back and now I am weighing my options. My GP is recommending full hysterectomy (including ovaries) and I am waiting to see a new GYN next Tuesday.

For me the ablation was a good solution, until it wasn't. I think if I had it all to do over again I might have thought harder about the hysterectomy at the time. But the ablation is a lot less painful and almost no recovery time with no hospital stay. You bleed for about 2 weeks after and then give you supplies away or put them in the back of the cupboard.

I can't tell you to go for it or not, but thought my experience might help. I will be praying for your decision. Let us know how it goes.

Laurie
Unread 07-11-2003, 05:59 PM

Hi,
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly.
4 months post pregnancy is still early days though, I bled for a long time after my children, and although I know it's not right or fair, it might settle down with time. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but waiting that bit longer before you decide might be an idea?
Have you tried the pill or any other treatments for the bleeding?
I personally cant talk really, as I'm only 7 months post pregnancy (triplets), but my problems were there before I got pregnant, have had problems since I was 10 years old.
Have also had no relief from a d+c (6th June) - was supposed to be having an ablation but they couldn't perform it as my womb and lining were too large. I suppose it might be because it's so soon after the pregnancy.
Anyway, best of luck, I hope you find a solution
Lisa
xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2003, 06:21 PM
thank you

It takes 3 bc pills per day to slow it down. My bleeding never went back to normal after 1st c-sect. 4 years ago. Heavy and long (2 weeks at a time). I havent had any PMS trouble though...thank goodness. I am taking 2 multivits a day because of the upset stomach and blood loss which is keeping my blood counts good and I have some energy.

I really appreciate your replies. I am definetely leaning towards the hysterectomy, leaving ovaries and cervix in tact. The ablation worries me because it is not a guarantee. I realize that the hyst is not guaranteed either, but I am guessing it is more reliable in getting the outcome I need.
Unread 07-11-2003, 07:11 PM

My question is this: do you have a "real" diagnosis? Ablation is effective for some problems; but for adenomyosis (where the endometrial lining has infiltrated the muscular wall of the uterus) it does not work at all. Problem with adeno is that it's notoriously difficult to diagnose -- and the only treatment is a hysterectomy. Your c-section definitely increases the chances that adeno is what you are facing, but you may not have a definitive diagnosis prior to any procedure; sometimes MRI can point in the direction of adeno, but not always.

If you are dealing with fibroids, that's a different story, and then myomectomy or ablation may well give you some extra time. I do know that for many of us, that "nightlife" thing is actually improved, once the pain and constant bleeding disappear. I did keep my cervix, but many women do not, and I see lots of reports of improvement in the sexual activity department!

Good luck with this, and do ask about second opinions prior to any final decision.

Audrey
Unread 07-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Ablation

Hello!! I too, had an ablation on 5/20/03. The failure rate is actually a lot higher than was indicated to me. I found that out from my own research! My insurance would'nt cover my hysterectomy due to my age (29) and they felt that my doctor should've tried the ablation before the hyst!

Anyway, the ablation was done with cryosurgery (freezing) and it made my bleeding twice as worse and the pain leaves me unable to walk! I am now awaiting a September TAH/BSO next month sometime (still waiting for date).

Good luck to you. Ablation does have promising results for some women, it just didn't work for me.
Unread 07-14-2003, 10:15 PM

I had an ablation on the 4th of April of 2003 and it worked for only 2 months. I just had a tvh on the 26th of June. I wish I would of just had it taken out the first time instead of going through a second surgery. I hope this helps you. I would ask your doctor about the pros and cons of both. Take care and I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 07-19-2003, 05:58 PM

I am new here and I too had a hydrothermal ablation on 29 April 2003. It did not work for me. I also have had 3 week long periods and daily spotting when not having a period and lots of cramping that makes me want to just lay in bed sometimes. My sex life is not the same either since the ablation. It hurts now and it really has effected my life. I am now waiting for a date for my hysterectomy i talked with the doctor on 18 July 2003 and now just waiting to have a endometrial sampling and then my hyst probably in Aug or Sept. I had the option of an ablation or a hysterectomy and I chose the ablation first. There are also many good ablation support groupd there and I will say I am happy with my decision to do the ablation first for I was all for having the lesser of the two. I will say that you have a 50-50 chance of not having a period again after the ablation and I prayed I would have been one of those. I am now joining the ranks of the hyster sisiters and I am also happy to be done with all my problems. Just do alot of research.
Unread 07-19-2003, 06:39 PM
ablation

I had the ablation done in Oct 02. Then on January 2 I had a full hysterectomy. I think it best that you really think about everything before you decide. I was unfortunate not to be able to keep at least one of my ovaries or my uterues, so if you decide on the hyst please ask your doctor to remove the minimum. I dont think a person needs to take HRT if they can help it.

I wish you luck and I believe that hystersisterville will help you with that decision.

Katt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register