When did you know ovaries went on vacation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you know ovaries went on vacation? When did you know ovaries went on vacation?

Unread 09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
When did you know ovaries went on vacation?

At what point after surgery did you know for sure your ovaries had shut down? I'm 8 days post-op today and cautiously optimistic that I have dodged the bullet. Is it too soon for me know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2006, 06:30 PM

Sheri -

I think, you know you just lose this timeline a little bit, I was having hot flashes shortly after I got home. Maybe day 4 or 5. I would say by the 20th day they were over.

Co-worker at had said the day following surgery she was having them.

I would think, don't know, you are probably correct in thinking you have passed the point where you would be having them, at least the onset of them.

Julie
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Hi!
I kept both ovaries, and didn't seem to have problems until around 3 1/2 months. Then I got a couple of hotflashes. One of the articles I read said to keep track of this kind of thing because it doesn't necessarily mean your ovaries are "kaput!" It might mean they are still getting on an even keel. I think that's what is happening with me. Everyone is so different!
I hope things continue to go well. Don't worry too much if you get funny symptoms. Keep track and do call your doctor so they can make a record of it and let you know if something isn't normal. It's a big surgery so those ovaries might just need a while to feel normal again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2006, 08:59 PM

From One Wisconsin-ite to another (I'm in the Madison area)....

I'd like to know the same thing. I'm confused at what happens w/the ovaries. I've read so many different things I don't know what to expect/believe.

Regardless...hope your recovery is going good.

Gala
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:23 PM

I'm six weeks post-op; kept right ovary. I've noticed a couple of what I would call "warm flashes," and insomnia every night. Saw the doc today and he's starting me on Estrace 1mg. I was really hoping this one ovary would sputter along without needing any help. But sleeping at night again would be nice and I'm hoping the HRT will help my energy level. Good luck!
Unread 09-29-2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney1962
I'm six weeks post-op; kept right ovary. I've noticed a couple of what I would call "warm flashes," and insomnia every night. Saw the doc today and he's starting me on Estrace 1mg. I was really hoping this one ovary would sputter along without needing any help. But sleeping at night again would be nice and I'm hoping the HRT will help my energy level. Good luck!

I kept my left ovary and was concerned on whether or not i would have menopausal symptoms or not. I have mild hot flashes and am dealing with insomnia. Did not even realize that low estrogen levels can lead to insomnia...that is incredible to know. I have a 4 week follow up on the 5th and will discuss this with doc. She put me on Ambiem which does not help as well as i would like it to so who the heck knows.
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:46 AM

I'm 10 days post-op,TAH,both ovaries removed.I was given an estogen shot in the hospital;so far so good.I have had no problems other than insomnia and some crazy,vivid dreams for about 5 nights.I too wonder when my body is going to say hey somethings different.It can really be scary because i have heard so much;everybody wants to tell the"bad" stuff.So I'm afraid that "something" is lurking around the corner.I do plan to start on estratest this weekend,hopefully everything will stay in check.Is there anyone who had ovaries removed,went on hrt and did well?
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:05 AM

The bizarre dreams are the worst! I had those for about a week post-op. They were so bad that I was afraid to fall asleep! They seem to be better now, I wonder if that was a symptom of ovary disfunction? I don't recall any weird dreams that past few nights. Hopefully I'm over the hump!
Unread 09-29-2006, 12:33 PM

I had the weird dreams too for about a week post-op, but I chalked those up to remaining anesthesia in my system and the strong pain meds given in the castle.
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:26 PM

miss sherri
Sounds like your doing well. Glad for you.
It is hard to tell but you would have estrogen deficiency symptoms. . .mood swings, foggy thinking, insomnia, vaginal dryness, hot flashes/night sweats, headaches, and low sex drive. Sounds like so much fun . . doesn't it?

I'm 8 weeks post op and kept my left ovary.
I slowly started having warm flushes at around the second week. I was hot in the room when everyone else was comfortable. Then the night sweats started . . .they are gross, then the insomnia and mood swings started. Oh Joy!!!!! :burning:
I started using progesterone cream and drinking soy protein shakes and I'm feeling much better now. Night sweats are gone. Yippee!! My moods are better and my sleep is slowly getting better.
I feel my poor little ovary might be kick' in now. . .I'm praying!
Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register