2 days pre-op and terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days pre-op and terrified 2 days pre-op and terrified

Unread 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
2 days pre-op and terrified

Please ladies, I am 2 days pre-op and I am terrified, and scared, and emotional. I am 34 and have had PCOS for the last 10 years and have have had 2 laprascopy's and nothing has helped. I just don't understand why I am crying so much, please help me understand why. Will I have depression afterwards, or will I feel relieved. Please help as I am in tears now typing this. I have everything prepared for my family, food all taken card of, and my Mom will be staying with us for 2 weeks to help with my kids and dinners, and me. Please someone respond to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Re: I am 11 days pre-op and I'm terrified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym5339 View Post
Please ladies, I am 2 days pre-op and I am terrified, and scared, and emotional. I am 34 and have had PCOS for the last 10 years and have have had 2 laprascopy's and nothing has helped. I just don't understand why I am crying so much, please help me understand why. Will I have depression afterwards, or will I feel relieved. Please help as I am in tears now typing this. I have everything prepared for my family, food all taken card of, and my Mom will be staying with us for 2 weeks to help with my kids and dinners, and me. Please someone respond to me.
I am so sorry you are feeling this way hun. I have been going through much of the same feelings. I have been scared to death. Try to take some deep calming breaths and remember you are loved. Everything will be ok. The thoughts and energies we put out will cause more of the same to come our way so try to meditate, exercise or anything that will help those "good" feelings and thoughts come to you. Sometimes, even when I am feeling this way I force myself to do positive self talk and say things like "Everything is going to turn out great. I am going to feel better then ever, I am filled with peace and joy" etc... Come up with your own positive self talk based on who you are. Know that we are all in this together hun, we support you. It will all be just fine.
Unread 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Oh jaym5339, I feel for you. I don't know if you will feel depression after. What I do know, is if you need this surgery...you will get through the next couple days (ask doctor for medication, if need be). The pre-op wait was the worst!! I am not joking. I was a mess, couldn't focus on much, etc. The things that got me through the waiting was exercising, good times with family and this site! I am almost 5 weeks post op, and I feel really good. I haven't dealt with any depression (just the opposite, I feel happier). My body is recovering, and while still not 100% it is getting better every day!
I know you are terrified! I felt the same, and so did almost every person on this site while waiting for surgery. I was pretty emotional before too. I think I told my husband I didn't want him at my pre-op and that he could drop me off at the hospital for surgery...I didn't need him! Of course he was at my pre-op appt. and stayed with me every moment after surgery. Now, understand this guy is wonderful, and would do anything for me. I don't even know why I told him that, but I remember being upset...I think at losing my uterus, and uh, just about everything in life. Take care, check out the good things on this site, be good to yourself. This will be over soon, and then you can get on with the business of recovery! Good luck to you, we are all thinking good thoughts for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I too was very afraid. The waiting was very stressful, the night before i could not sleep at all. They dont want you to take any meds so i was cramping and having the jitters, but when i finally fell asleep i slept for about 2 hours then it was time to go. I expressed to everybody who would listen how nervous i was and afraid of the post surg- nasea. every one was great and i felt pain for a short amount of time after the surgery. I am very sensitive to painpills so i was taking a lil at a time along with anit-nasea pills, and a patch behind my ear. with all that said, My TVH was over stressed experience, i feel sore down there, very similar to childbirth, i cant sit on hard surfaces and get tired out very quickly. Im happy to sleep and rest on the couch all day. I figure the first week ill be here, and keeping a written schedule on my pain pills because you do get loopy and very tired. im trying my best to stay on top of it all, but day 3 the most pain i get feels like a burning bladder and unsupported belly.( again much like childbirth)
Hang in there, keep your mind busy and do all those lil things u know will bug u sitting on your couch, and of coarse use the help u have around you when you have it. Trust me there'll be times when you feel great, but dont over do it. I tried to pick up lil things around the house and take a shower, well after the shower i was needing to lay down. and had a twinges of pain. take it slow,
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym5339 View Post
You will be fine!!! It is normal to be scared, I am only a year older than and also have kids to care for. I am now 7 days post op and the hardest is the first few days. Your mom will be a great help for you. I hope the ladies on here can help ease your depression and make you feel a little better about your upcoming surgery! ((((((hugs)))))))
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM

ooo friend....i am so sorry you are so afraid. I only had 4 days to wait for my davinci hysterectomy after my consultation with my oncologist. But those 4 days were very emotional for me too.
Its perfectly normal for us to be scared and afraid and emotional. This is major surgery, but trust your doctors and his/her team to take care of you. The nurses that work with these wonderful doctors know just how to take care of us both before and after the surgery.
I didnt find this site until right after my surgery in october, but there are wonderfully supportive ladies on here who will calm you down and know just the right things to say. I was an emotional wreck, and several times i turned to particular ladies to pull me back from the edge of hysterics.
I remember just before the drugs being injected in the pre-op room, asking "God, please hold my hand thru this, I cant do this alone". And you keep reminding yourself, you wont be alone either. The waiting, and the worrying are the most stressful part of the entire thing, really. Once I was wheeled into the operating room, it seemed like 5 mins and the wonderful nurses were waking me up in recovery..even tho it was 4 and a half hours later!
Just know, you will come out on the other side, a little sore, alot more tired, for a few months. But you WILL come out okay.
I too had my DH here with me for 3 days after I came home, and altho my mother suffered a stroke in March, she said with me for a week. I had only 5 small one inch incisions, so my experience may be different than yours will be, but on a pain scale of 0 to 10, i would say the incisions were only a 4. It takes awhile to pee right again, maybe a few days, its more a trickle, but it gets better. My doctor prescribed stool softeners for me before i left the hospital, and i faithfully took them everyday. 3 days after coming home, the BN's were fine again too.
Just take it easy on yourself. Dont push your recouperation sister friend. Do exactly what you doctor tells you to do, and dont rush anything. There have been many many others who have gone before us and are on this site to help us thru. As I am sure you will hear from many more after me.
Again, hon.....it will be fine. Try to keep telling yourself that. Really.
My thoughts, good wishes and prayers are with you. Please take care.
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM

I totally understand how you feel I too am terrified and wondering how I am going to get through the wait. I still a few months to go and i wish it would just be over with.
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:56 PM

I'm going in on Thursday. So this last weekend, I could not take it any more. Couldn't sleep and stressed. I choose to redo my daughter's room. Took all the stuff out, bought flooring and paint, and all. All her stuff is still in the living room but the carpet is up and the room is painted (Note: the Endo will not allow me to do much but I did direct my hubby and the boy to do everything. I painted a little). The floor will be down on Wed. And I will be sitting on the couch and directing everything to go back in after the op.

I'm more worried about my living room being a mess at the moment to worry about the op. But it did take my mind off the op.

Note: Take on a smaller project. It might but easier. It also helped my hubby and son get their minds off the op.
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Re: 2 days pre-op and terrified

Ladies, you are all wonderful! Thank you so much for all your suggestions, and to those of you in waiting, I feel what you are going through. Today I see my Dr. at 2:45 for my final appt before my Surgery tomorrow morning. I have a list of questions to ask him. How long is the surgery? I have no clue, he is a great Dr. and will put me at ease today I am sure. Thank you all so much, I need this site in the next 24hrs really bad, as I am sure I will not be sleeping much. For those of you that have already had your surgery coould you please help tell me what I might need to bring to the hospital. Thank you
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Re: 2 days pre-op and terrified

With regard to what to bring to the hospital, the biggest thing to bring is your dh. Sounds obvious, but he is your advocate and will make all the difference. I didn't think I'd want him to stay the night, but it was such a comfort to know he was there.

Of the many things I brought from home, this is all I used: pads (the hospital has them, but they are HUGE)
lip balm
hairbrush
shampoo and conditioner
robe
loose pants to wear home

I had a private room in a very quiet hospital wing, but I had my iphone and headphones just in case. The phone was nice to send a couple of texts rather than having to talk to people. No need for a book, as I didn't feel like reading then (but have read a book/day since I got home).

Also, I didn't feel sad or depressed before surgery, but found I felt a little like crying once or twice when I got home. One of books I read had a sad ending, and I cried, which is normal for me, and that seemed to end that feeling of wanting to cry for no reason.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register